Mini 2 Climbing Bug ? HELP
935 6 2022-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_UKE7PGvgPR7W
lvl.2

Malta

I discovered this weird bug.

Full throttle pressed all the way up both Sticks.  

S mode - when speed is less than 50km/h due to wind , the climbing rate is extremely slow  

S mode - when speed is more than 50km/h , the climbing rate is fast and how it's suppose to be.  

N or Cine mode are working fine. ( Wind or no wind, both are working fine )  

Any ideas please?

N mode takes 2 seconds to reach 10km/h Climbing Rate
S mode takes 7 seconds to reach 10km/h Climbing Rate

2022-1-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Look at the artificial horizon, I think you will find the answer there. When flying into a strong headwind i.e. the ground speed is reduced, the drone's pitch is so great/steep that there is not enough vertical thrust to produce fast rates of climb?
BTW was this flight in accordance with height limits?
2022-1-19
Use props
djiuser_UKE7PGvgPR7W
lvl.2

Malta

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-19 01:57
Look at the artificial horizon, I think you will find the answer there. When flying into a strong headwind i.e. the ground speed is reduced, the drone's pitch is so great/steep that there is not enough vertical thrust to produce fast rates of climb?

I looked at the altitude line, how come N mode doesn't perform like S mode?
N mode still climbs very fast !

S mode climbs slow into the wind
S mode climbs fast with the wind

N mode climbs fast into the wind
N  mode climbs fast with the wind

what am I missing ?

No Altitude doesn't matter, 100 - 500 meters still fast climbs on N mode with or against the wind.
2022-1-19
Use props
djiuser_UKE7PGvgPR7W
lvl.2

Malta

It did say 120m limited but didn't effect the climb rate on N mode.

Like I said, S mode climbs slow when going into the wind but climbs fast when going with the wind.
N mode like I said doesn't matter with or against the wind, still thrusts up very very fast.
2022-1-19
Use props
djiuser_UKE7PGvgPR7W
lvl.2

Malta

Also the video was on purpose going into the wind " orientation indicator " to show you that when the drone is going below 50km/h it will climb slow on S mode but will climb super fast on N mode going into the wind.
2022-1-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The total thrust generated by the propellors can be divided into vertical and horizontal components.
At any given motor speed, as the angle of drone tilt increases the horizontal component of the thrust increases and the vertical component decreases.

The following is a crude attempt at an explanation, if you want a better explanation ask this question over on Mavic Pilots and direct it at the likes of sar104.

Let's imagine your drone is hovering, the total thrust produced by the motors is equal to the drone's weight. If you then command the drone to move horizontally, the drone tilts. If the motor speeds remained constant the vertical component of the thrust will become insufficient to support the drone and it will start to descend (possibly accelerating). I believe the drone's flight controller compensates by increasing the motor speeds until the vertical component of the thrust is sufficient to support the drone, it is a complicated balancing act that probably requires very fast responses from the flight controller. Bear in mind that the flight controller adjusts the speed of each motor separately and is constantly doing so through out the flight.
The greater the angle of drone tilt the faster the motors have to turn to provide a suitable vertical component. If you simultaneously command a climb then the vertical component of the thrust must be increased to more than that necessary to support the drone. To provide this added vertical thrust the flight controller can either reduce the angle of drone tilt or increase the motor speeds, it is still a balancing act. It looks as if the drone gives precedence to obeying the horizontal speed command rather than the climb rate command.
Tilt the drone far enough i.e. command greater horizontal speed, and the motors will be turning so fast to just support the drone that they do not have enough speed capacity left to provide the vertical thrust required for a fast climb.

Have a look in the manual for the maximum angles of drone tilt in the various flight modes.
In N mode the maximum angle of tilt is half that of S mode so the drone has 'spare motor speed left' to provide the necessary vertical component to provide a fast climb.

I asked about the height limits to draw to your attention the legal height limits in Malta, I believe them to be 120m above the ground directly beneath the drone. If that is correct and you had flown over flat ground or over a down slope then at 180m you are well above the legal limits, if you had flown over an up slope then you may have been within the legal limits.
I was not questioning if height had any affect on the behaviour of the drone

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 16.12.16.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 16.12.58.png
2022-1-19
Use props
djiuser_UKE7PGvgPR7W
lvl.2

Malta

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-19 08:11
The total thrust generated by the propellors can be divided into vertical and horizontal components.
At any given motor speed, as the angle of drone tilt increases the horizontal component of the thrust increases and the vertical component decreases.

Wow ! Super thank you for the detailed information, this really helped me understand how it works !
Basically the power / rotors when going full speed doesn't have , let's call it " enough power or enough room " to lift the drone up at a greater speed when comparing to N mode.

N mode has small angle of tilt so the drone has more power to climb
S mode has a much greater tilt " almost 100% if not 100% " so it must, decrease the speed and then starts climbing slowly, so that is why the drone behaves like that.

You explained it very detailed and informative ! Can't thank you enough ..

I know I cannot say certain things here but I managed to change the drones " Tilt " angle from 40 degrees to 32 Degrees ( You know what I'm trying to say , I can't mention details here ) managed to climb pretty fast and still doing 45-48 KM/H , also the good part is battery wise is much more greater !

Once again , big hugs ! <3
2022-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules