RC Pro - Can't connect to internet through Asus router?
1856 8 2022-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Westwind77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 567234 ft
United States

I received my 2s w/ RC Pro last week. I can connect my RCP to my home wi-fi, it shows connected, but I have no internet access. It would not let me activate the remote, can't access pages via firefox, etc. I used the hotspot on my phone and it connected and worked flawlessly. I also took it to my work - worked perfectly - and asked my neighbor to enter in their wi-fi password and it wokred on theirs as well.

I dug on-line and found one other person who had my same issue with an Asus router as well. They were able to set a static IP which got it to work, however that trick did not work for myself. I have configured the remote to use the 'real' MAC address, I have tried to change the private DNS settings on the remote, and every combo you can think of yet there is something the Asus router does not like and is blocking it somehow.

I have gone into the router and it shows it connected and does not show it being blocked in any fashion, but it is, somehere/somehow.

I have opened a case with Asus and they are looking into it, they have gone through my report and all my data files I have sent and have escalated it up the chain.

I'm curious if anyone else has some random thoughts or found a work around on their end if they had this happen.

(firmware is up to date on both the remote and router)

Thanks!
2022-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Westwind77. I am sorry to read and to know about this situation and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please keep us posted on the said matter for us to be updated. Thank you.
2022-1-19
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Turn off the security on your router like the firewall and any anti virus that the router has and try again. The Asus router is very sensitive to outside connections and will not allow them access if it feels it is a threat to the network.
2022-1-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you will find it may have something to do with band steering on your router.  I was diving deep into log files and saw that when my RC Pro was connecting to a SSID that had both 2.4 and 5GHz options, that the router would try to steer it to 5GHz and reject the association.  This is where I got a little confused with what I was seeing in logs and just gave up because I really didn't want my drone hobby to turn into a wireless engineering exercise.  Bottom line, it connects just fine if I point it to a 2.4GHz wifi network.  Anything other and it just doesn't work.    I am a Unifi user by the way not Asus, so your mileage may vary of course.  

For now, I am pretty sure that the wifi on the RC Pro needs some love and attention from DJI to make it connect more universally.
2022-1-19
Use props
Westwind77
lvl.2
United States

To my knowledge my router is not running any anti-virus and I do not feel like turning off my firewall just so the RC Pro can access the internet. I might give it a shot just to 'troubleshoot' but it can't be a long term solution.

As for connecting to an SSID, my RC Pro will only show my 2.4 network, not my 5. When I go into my client list it shows connected only to 2.4, as it should, just no access to the internet from there.

I have over 30 devices connected to my router (wired/wireless) and have never had a single issue with any of them until this remote.

It is also frustrating as my free time to address this issue is limited as the higher up Asus support people either want to talk or chat to dive deeper into this as well and between work and afterschool sports by the time I can do it they are closed for the day.

All that being said I have only taken the 2s out a few times (couple times during the day and once at night) and what an incredible upgrade over my 'old' MPP! Having the integrated display/remote is such a game changer as well with how quick and easy it is deploy. I was very impressed with the low light ability as well given my rural area.

Hopefully DJI will find a 'bug' as to why Asus is flagging this unit though or hopefully the techs at Asus can find a work around.
2022-1-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

This might be a stupid suggestion, but have you tried setting up a guest account and connecting to that?
2022-1-20
Use props
Westwind77
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-20 08:02
This might be a stupid suggestion, but have you tried setting up a guest account and connecting to that?

Not a stupid questions at all.....and yes, I enabled the guest account feature (no password) and still the same result.
2022-1-20
Use props
Westwind77
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-19 22:12
Hello there Westwind77. I am sorry to read and to know about this situation and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please keep us posted on the said matter for us to be updated. Thank you.

I updated the remote to the latest version today (03.01.05.00) and now it works with the Asus router with no issues. Big thanks to DJI for correcting this issue!
2022-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Westwind77 Posted at 1-24 15:58
I updated the remote to the latest version today (03.01.05.00) and now it works with the Asus router with no issues. Big thanks to DJI for correcting this issue!

Hi there Westwind77. Thank you for the reply and it is great to know that the said issue has been rectified. If you have any other inquiries or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank you.
2022-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules