1344 59 2022-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I could not wait till the evening, so I used my break time to get some test flying.
I still do not have time to upload the content (hopefully later tonight), but at least I got some data points.

• The update went smoothly, I simply launched RC Pro and it did all the work, took under 10 minutes (I didn't time it, sorry). As other people reported, changing the batteries did not require further updates, so it seems that batteries are ok as is.
  • GPS sat acquisition time did not change much for me. Maybe there were not enough satellites, to begin with, I didn't have time to check UAV.
  • D-Log run-time and preview (low-res on RC Pro) work great, it's actually usable now.
  • I really like camera settings. when you click on them in PRO mode, it gives you a mini-panel where you can adjust all settings without doing it one-by-one. Awesome!
  • Panorama. Finally works. Not only that, and it's easy to choose the mode, they have added the 3x3 mode, which was the feature long missing from M2P.
    Also, both 3x3 and vertical 3x1 seem to honor the current gimbal position, which is great.
    In addition to actually working, Pano mode seems to be MUCH faster than M2P's
  • Last but not least, Hyperlaspe seems to be working now as well. Did a 15 sec with all parameters change, worked "as designed".

All in all, great update. I'm sure there will be some shortcomings found, but I can totally work with this.
Thanks, DJI!
2022-1-24
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-1-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for posting the initial feedback!!  Looking forward to testing it myself soon.
2022-1-24
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 1-24 11:25
Sad to see satellite acquisition problem isn't fixed. The same is being reported on MavicPilots.

Well, to be honest, while annoying (primarily because we do know it could be done faster), it's not a killer, for me at least. RC Pro takes its sweet time to start anyway. So yeah, it eats into the "battery usage" time, but only with a cold start, i.e. on the very first one (when changing batteries they are all cached, so there is no delay there). All in all, as I posted earlier, I start RC, let it warm up, start the craft, as soon as takeoff is permitted (still with Weak GPS) I take off, go to max allowed altitude, and then proceed with further setup, such as adjusting camera settings, etc. It does take some time, and mostly cannot be done on the ground anyway, so might as well use this time to acquire more sats.

Don't get me wrong: I am NOT saying it's a good situation. GPS acquisition time should be improved. All I'm saying is that in my particular case, as I am not trying to shoot from the hip, it really does not matter that much and is only a minor annoyance, not a big issue.
2022-1-24
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-24 11:26
Thank you for posting the initial feedback!!  Looking forward to testing it myself soon.

My pleasure! And nice avvy BTW
2022-1-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-24 11:58
Well, to be honest, while annoying (primarily because we do know it could be done faster), it's not a killer, for me at least. RC Pro takes its sweet time to start anyway. So yeah, it eats into the "battery usage" time, but only with a cold start, i.e. on the very first one (when changing batteries they are all cached, so there is no delay there). All in all, as I posted earlier, I start RC, let it warm up, start the craft, as soon as takeoff is permitted (still with Weak GPS) I take off, go to max allowed altitude, and then proceed with further setup, such as adjusting camera settings, etc. It does take some time, and mostly cannot be done on the ground anyway, so might as well use this time to acquire more sats.

Don't get me wrong: I am NOT saying it's a good situation. GPS acquisition time should be improved. All I'm saying is that in my particular case, as I am not trying to shoot from the hip, it really does not matter that much and is only a minor annoyance, not a big issue.

Ditto, I've pretty much adopted the same for my flights.  I've taken "advantage" of the wait time to do a variety of pre-flight things.  So not a show stopper for me.  Not ideal, but not the end of the world for me.
2022-1-24
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-24 12:07
Ditto, I've pretty much adopted the same for my flights.  I've taken "advantage" of the wait time to do a variety of pre-flight things.  So not a show stopper for me.  Not ideal, but not the end of the world for me.

Yup, same here. It's an SOP/training question.
2022-1-24
Use props
aerography.pt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2012687 ft
Portugal

Hdmi output only 720p...
2022-1-24
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aerography.pt Posted at 1-24 12:29
Hdmi output only 720p...

How does one use HDMI? To play content over TV direct from the drone?
2022-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I haven’t got out to fly, but new camera controls are awesome using RC pro, so responsive a couple of option still missing but the did a fine job on that . The app is so much better.
2022-1-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I also did a small Hyperlapse test and previously when doing waypoints it sped through the hyperlapse at 10 to 11km/h but now it moves at 3.6km/h which is good.
2022-1-24
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 1-24 14:02
I also did a small Hyperlapse test and previously when doing waypoints it sped through the hyperlapse at 10 to 11km/h but now it moves at 3.6km/h which is good.

it was doing like 0.2mph in my test, so obviously it is now capable of running slow.

I still need to test "only" versions, as in:
* only lateral move, no altitude/angle
* only altitude move, no lateral/angle
* only angle, no lateral/altitude

and see it it can take it slow.
2022-1-24
Use props
aerography.pt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2012687 ft
Portugal

DarthSLR Posted at 1-24 12:42
How does one use HDMI? To play content over TV direct from the drone?

Or livestreaming...
2022-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DarthSLR Posted at 1-24 12:42
How does one use HDMI? To play content over TV direct from the drone?

You either need a very long lead or a monitor close at hand, its just plug and play.
2022-1-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DarthSLR Posted at 1-24 14:07
it was doing like 0.2mph in my test, so obviously it is now capable of running slow.

I still need to test "only" versions, as in:

Does yours give you the option to adjust the speed in waypoints as mine does not
2022-1-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I actually made it a point today to measure the satellite acquisition time.  A watched pot never boils because yeah, it does take some time.  I had 9 satellites after a minute.  It really is not an issue for me, as it usually takes me a few minutes to take inventory of my controller settings and just become a little more situationally aware of my surroundings.  By the time I am ready to fly I have fifteen or more satellites, and can always fly safely.  So, yes it is slow, but not a showstopper for me.  

If people are reporting more than two or three minutes though, then I tend to agree.  That seems to go back to when Garmins where first released for cars.  : )  And that is just tooooo slow.
2022-1-24
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 1-24 16:35
Does yours give you the option to adjust the speed in waypoints as mine does not

It does not let me specify speed, but allows to specify the target duration, so it can infer speed from that.
Which, in my mind, is good, I don’t care what’s the speed, but I do care about the duration.
2022-1-24
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-24 16:51
I actually made it a point today to measure the satellite acquisition time.  A watched pot never boils because yeah, it does take some time.  I had 9 satellites after a minute.  It really is not an issue for me, as it usually takes me a few minutes to take inventory of my controller settings and just become a little more situationally aware of my surroundings.  By the time I am ready to fly I have fifteen or more satellites, and can always fly safely.  So, yes it is slow, but not a showstopper for me.  

If people are reporting more than two or three minutes though, then I tend to agree.  That seems to go back to when Garmins where first released for cars.  : )  And that is just tooooo slow.

I agree the acquisition isn't so bad but when you start flying and it drops from 12 sats to 10 and stops flying and you get the GPS Signal weak message is an issue.
2022-1-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tried the new update tonight. I did a test before the update...2 minutes until enough sats. After the update maybe 30 minutes later in the same place .... 3 1/2 minutes.

Being outside and powered up already, I did some night flying. Saw a boat going out the river with no navigation lights on...illegal operation. So I buzzed them with all lights flashing. I heard a guy on the boat shout "WTF is that! A UFO?"

2022-1-24
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BrianKushner Posted at 1-24 18:49
I agree the acquisition isn't so bad but when you start flying and it drops from 12 sats to 10 and stops flying and you get the GPS Signal weak message is an issue.

Yes, that's also what I'm seeing before and after this firmware update.
2022-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DarthSLR. Good day and thank you for sharing your positive feedback for the new firmware for the DJI Mavic 3 that was recently released. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-1-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Darth are the panos being generated on the drone or still in the fly app?
2022-1-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder if the panos sticking faster is just because they now stitch on your phone and not in the drone.
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-25 01:03
I wonder if the panos sticking faster is just because they now stitch on your phone and not in the drone.

Now that you mention that...
Let me clarify.
It seems that taking pano shots is faster. But stitching seems slower.
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-25 00:40
Darth are the panos being generated on the drone or still in the fly app?

I don't know how to tell.
It takes pictures, then stitches them.
Taking is much faster, stitching seems slower compared to  MP2.
I'm using RC Pro.
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-24 19:21
Tried the new update tonight. I did a test before the update...2 minutes until enough sats. After the update maybe 30 minutes later in the same place .... 3 1/2 minutes.

Being outside and powered up already, I did some night flying. Saw a boat going out the river with no navigation lights on...illegal operation. So I buzzed them with all lights flashing. I heard a guy on the boat shout "WTF is that! A UFO?"

How did you make the lights flash? I know how to turn the aux/landing light on and off, but that's about it.
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-24 21:03
Hello there DarthSLR. Good day and thank you for sharing your positive feedback for the new firmware for the DJI Mavic 3 that was recently released. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.

Thank you.
We're definitely not there yet, but it's a big step in a write direction.
2022-1-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 1-25 07:17
I don't know how to tell.
It takes pictures, then stitches them.
Taking is much faster, stitching seems slower compared to  MP2.

Someone else confirmed they are stitched on the phone as only the individual shots are on the sd card not the completed pano.
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-25 07:20
Someone else confirmed they are stitched on the phone as only the individual shots are on the sd card not the completed pano.

Well, in my case both individual shots and complete panos were on the drone's SSD (it's M3C)
2022-1-25
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 1-25 07:36
@Darth - did you report the slow GPS acquisition to DJI?

Not yet. Considering I only did one quick flight I don't have enough data to prove my point. I need to get a few more done, probably recording the startup phase, since they normally ask for this, and the logs, etc. So it takes time and effort to observe and report it correctly. Especially considering the inevitable caching issue, so you can only have the true cold start like once a day (I honestly don't know how long cache holds).
2022-1-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 1-24 18:49

Good point.  I have not had that happen in recent months, but totally agreed, that is an issue.
2022-1-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-24 19:21

Being outside and powered up already, I did some night flying. Saw a boat going out the river with no navigation lights on...illegal operation. So I buzzed them with all lights flashing. I heard a guy on the boat shout "WTF is that! A UFO?"

THAT is what drone flying is all about!  : )   I find lots of people out in the desert in weird places.  Always fun to show them they are not alone.  : )
2022-1-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-25 07:19
How did you make the lights flash? I know how to turn the aux/landing light on and off, but that's about it.

Two strobes, one long-lasting and another brighter one. The rear arm lights are flashing green and the front ones are flashing red and green already.
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-25 20:24
Two strobes, one long-lasting and another brighter one.

Oh like clip ons? I wonder what is the regulat use for those? Just for fun/visibility at night?
2022-1-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-25 20:26
Oh like clip ons? I wonder what is the regulat use for those? Just for fun/visibility at night?

You need a bright one to fly legally at night. I added a dimmer one that last 72 hours also for finding a lost drone, always activated even in daytme. Both are attached with Velcro.
2022-1-25
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 1-24 11:25
Sad to see satellite acquisition problem isn't fixed. The same is being reported on MavicPilots.

I think they shoulda stuck with GLONASS

NOTE:  I have a Mini 2 and it gets 12 sats consistently in under 15 secs.....there is definitely something wrong wth how they obtain satellites with the Mavic 3.   (I have a Mavie 2 Pro also that connects sats as fast as the mini 2, but a $400 drone vs a $2k drone is a much better exaggerated comparison).
2022-1-25
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

I purchased 3 high powered strobes from firehouse technologies.  One is GREEN, One is RED, and one is WHITE.   This is the official color schemes recommended by the FAA (WHITE on top, RED on left, GREEN on right).   The ARC V strobes have a visability of at least 3 statute miles.

For the arms, I purchased these 'rubberized' mounts from someone who prints them and for the top I used the velcro (very strong, very thin, lots of hooks) that come with the firehouse strobes.
mavic3_strobes_crop.jpg
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mavic 3 Raptor Posted at 1-25 20:48
I purchased 3 high powered strobes from firehouse technologies.  One is GREEN, One is RED, and one is WHITE.   This is the official color schemes recommended by the FAA (WHITE on top, RED on left, GREEN on right).   The ARC V strobes have a visability of at least 3 statute miles.

For the arms, I purchased these 'rubberized' mounts from someone who prints them and for the top I used the velcro (very strong, very thin, lots of hooks) that come with the firehouse strobes.

Interesting. I didn't know you need extra lights to fly at night, I was under the impression that the built-in ones are sufficient. Not that I fly at night often...
Thank you for sharing!
2022-1-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mavic 3 Raptor Posted at 1-25 20:48
I purchased 3 high powered strobes from firehouse technologies.  One is GREEN, One is RED, and one is WHITE.   This is the official color schemes recommended by the FAA (WHITE on top, RED on left, GREEN on right).   The ARC V strobes have a visability of at least 3 statute miles.

Good for you. I think the problem with the red and green ones is that you should only be able to see one of those from the sides. The idea there is that if you see a red light, you know the drone is coming from right to left, the opposite for green. From ahead you should see both red and green. It looks like you have that reversed, i.e from the right side, you would see the green one, not the red one. So maybe point them to the sides a bit.
Example: If you see a red light on an aircraft ahead, you know you have to yield the right of way to it. If you see the green light, the other craft must yield (it will see your red light).

2022-1-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules