Question about Freewell anamorphic lens
4221 11 2022-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AskoO
lvl.1

Iceland

Hello,
So, I recently got the Freewell pocket 2 anamorphic lens. I am trying to understand how exactly desqueezing works. So they say that the lens has an anamorphic sqeeze of 1.15 but my footage seems sqeezed when I use that factor.
As I understand it, a resolution of (3840 * 1.15 = 4416) 4416x2160 should result in the right desqeeze.

Today I made some test by recording a sphere (Pretty close up) and overlaying an mathematically correct image of a sphere.
The results were as I suspected - not round. A desqeeze factor of 1.06 got very close to a perfect circle, though I find that result rather dissapointing, since it is far from 1.15.

Now my question is, if there is something wrong with my lens. Maybe I am just not understanding how these lenses work?

Has anyone else tested or had this issue?

2022-1-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AskoO. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Freewell Anamorphic Lens ) that you want to use on your DJI Pocket 2. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our DJI members who owns the DJI Pocket 2 and have used the said Lens on there DJI Camera. Just a friendly, reminder that DJI does not recommend for you to used 3rd party accessories on your DJI Pocket 2. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI camera when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work. However, since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.
2022-1-31
Use props
JohnAven
lvl.3
United States

Here is a tutorial I made to de-squeeze your footage.
  https://youtu.be/pRe6l456rKg
2022-2-15
Use props
AskoO
lvl.1

Iceland

JohnAven Posted at 2-15 16:11
Here is a tutorial I made to de-squeeze your footage.

Thank you for the video JohnAven! I tried desqueezing in Resolve in exactly the same way. Uploaded an Image capture straight from resolve. It shows how squeezed my footage is after desqueezing.

I don't think my lens is 1.15! Now I am just curious if it is like this for everyone or if I got a bad lens. Does the factor work perfectly for you?

2022-2-16
Use props
JohnAven
lvl.3
United States

I'll try the same thing later today with a circular flat object.  
2022-2-19
Use props
JohnAven
lvl.3
United States

It seems your right.  To get a close to perfect circle, I'm using 3840 x 1984 which is a 1.929:1 aspect ratio and 1.09 squeeze.  
2022-2-19
Use props
JohnAven
lvl.3
United States

Maybe they are all different squeeze factors.  Here is my original squeezed image.  Plug it into your timeline as 3840 x 1984 and see if the circle looks properly round.  I'm trying to determine if the product is inconsistent or we are overlooking something.  If you de-squeeze my original image with my setting and it looks right, than both of our lenses are different.  They are advertising 1.15, your getting 1.06, I'm getting 1.09 and I seen a youtube reviewer getting 1.14.  
2022-2-19
Use props
AskoO
lvl.1

Iceland

First of, thank you for investigating this issue with me.

Your circle looks round to me with the resolution of 3840x1984.

I made things a little more scientific by drawing and recording a near perfect circle on a piece of paper and comparing the results in photoshop. Your aspect ratio and squeeze factor does come very close to a perfect circle. My own did not come as close.

From that I would conclude that at least our two lenses have a factor close to 1.09 and not 1.15. I attached both the 1.09 desqueezed image and an unaltered image.

This is of course a very small and cheap anamorphic lens. Still it's a shame that Freewell is advertising something that is not true and leaves users guessing how to use the footage that is recorded.

2022-2-20
Use props
JohnAven
lvl.3
United States

Yes. I agree.  I sent Freewell an email to clarify, but I don't expect much from them.  I also sent email to a few Freewell anamorphic reviewers to confiim their aspect ratio and squeeze factor.
2022-2-20
Use props
djiuser_nW9jFQDoQezr
New
Flight distance : 200551 ft
United States

I recently bought this lens for my air 2 and have been trying to desqueeze my footage in magix suite and need any help on how to do so.
2022-6-4
Use props
JohnAven
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_nW9jFQDoQezr Posted at 6-4 07:57
I recently bought this lens for my air 2 and have been trying to desqueeze my footage in magix suite and need any help on how to do so.

Try Davinci Resolve free version and follow my video linked above.  
2022-6-20
Use props
Dan_In_China
lvl.1

United States

I too mailed Freewell, and got a vague reply, saying that different software behave differently. Now, i have shot a short clip, converted to both aspect ratios, 1:1.15x and :1.09x. I'll replay them on my 4K TV, and judge for myself, which looks good to my eye. And let the other beta, theta, omega, gamma, all go out of the window. After all, photo/videography is about what you like to show to others.

BTW, I use the iPhone app, Desqueeze to do the stretching out bit easily on my mobile. I use the free version, without needing to customise, no need to export to the PC, and the other cumbersome stuff.
2023-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules