OG Goggles with Mini 2?
637 7 2022-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JaySound55
lvl.1
Flight distance : 169810 ft
United States

I own a first generation set of DJI Goggles, purchasedin 2017 for my Phantom 4.  Disappointingly, I soon discovered that I had to run a hard-wire between the DJI Controller and the goggles. Because I really like the goggles, I got used to it but it's still kind of a PITA. In any case, I've flown the P4 less and less over the past couple of years, especially during Covid.

I am seriously consideriing down-sizing to a DJI factory refurbed Mini 2 and selling the P4.

My question is, will my original DJI Goggles which still work fine wired to my controller, work with a Mini 2? And if so, wirelessly? I probably haven't updated the firmware in over a year so taking care of that will obviously be my first step. I'd like to stretch a few more years out of these goggles, especially if I could finally use them wirelessly.

Any insight before I make the purchase would be helpful. Thanks!

J

2022-2-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to tell you that DJI Goggles cannot work with DJI Mini 2. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2022-2-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can get them to work but NOT wirelessly...

Ken heron on youtube shows a way to do it with a chromecast device.
Also, you can if you can find a tablet that has HDMI output like the Nvidia Shield K1 can for the P4* series, sadly the DJI Fly app does not work on the K1 and i can't find another tablet that has HDMI output, might be one, i just cannot find one, oh and it will only be 720p using the HDMI if you can find one. I have tried with a few adaptors and failed miserably, it does not help with it being USB-C
2022-2-2
Use props
JaySound55
lvl.1
United States

So, will they work with any of the current or recent budget level models?

Is there any kind of a published document that lists all compatible models for these goggles?

I'm thinking now of looking for a 'gently' used 1st or 2nd generation original model MAVIC that has been kept in pristine shape. They should definitely work. When the goggles were first marketed, the fact that they were wireless was a big part of the sales pitch and my initial decision to buy. That's why 4k video (or lack thereof)  is not a primary considertion for me. Just mainly recreational flying with the illusion of VR with the goggles. They're limited to 720p (I believe) wirelessly which is still excellent to my eyes. I've got it now with the P4 but I now need smaller and easier to transport.

Any good suggestions or recommendations on what to look for in a used, legacy model in goood shape?

Thanks for the follow-ups...

J
2022-2-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JaySound55 Posted at 2-2 13:12
So, will they work with any of the current or recent budget level models?

Is there any kind of a published document that lists all compatible models for these goggles?

I dont think there is a list but yeah, the original mavic pro work wirelessly, i think they will 1080p too, might be wrong there, best check 1st but they are 1080p using the cable, but only 720 when outputting from the Nvidia SHield K1, not sure if thats the K1's limitation, i thin it is because all its doing is sharing the screen to the goggles so you can actually see all the flight data too, its a screen copy, where as with the P4* its actually from the HDMI from the controller, same with the mavic pro, I'm just not 100% sure if the wireless part is 1080 or 720. I think the Mini2 and the mavic pro have a similar camera so ya not missing out there. The size difference is amazing the tough....
2022-2-2
Use props
scoble08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4327592 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-2 04:48
Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to tell you that DJI Goggles cannot work with DJI Mini 2. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you have a Smart controller you should be good to go.  I use my Mini2/Smart controller/DJI RE Googles every time I fly.  Fantastik!
2022-2-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

scoble08 Posted at 2-3 11:38
If you have a Smart controller you should be good to go.  I use my Mini2/Smart controller/DJI RE Googles every time I fly.  Fantastik!

I dont have the SC, didnt know about that, thanks, but its a lot of money just to use the goggles, still not wireless either, but still, this a good option if you're not held back buy £££'s
2022-2-3
Use props
JaySound55
lvl.1
United States

scoble08 Posted at 2-3 11:38

Thanks for your reply. You've given me some hope. I'd appreciate if you or anybody could answer my additional (hopefully not too stupid) questions:

Is a 'Smart Controller' different than the one that comes with the Mini 2 out-of-the-box?

Is a 'Smart Controller' a DJI upgrade that must be purchased separately?

You also say 'DJI RE Goggles'in your reply. Is this a more correct name for the original DJI Goggles they released in late 2017? This is what I own.

They only had one model at the time and as I recall (possbly incorrectly), they were basically  just called the 'DJI Goggles.'

Or...should I just sell the dang Phantom 4 Pro & DJI Goggles and buy a DJI FPV? Hopefully I can get a fair price for the P4 if I do. DJI was selling the FPV for $999 around Christmas. I came very close to buying one at that time. Didn't tho'...

2022-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules