Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK, I'm done with them.

SkyCandy errors out 90%, and when it does not, it's random at best.

Helio and Alpenglow are very close to each other and consistently wrong (but not wrong in a way that you can simply think, "oh, I will revert their results")

Finally, MySunset is OK, but its predictions are about as reliable/good as my own, so unless I'm going for a completely new area (on which I would have to test it again), there is really no point asking it about what I already know.

Oh well, it was an experiment...

2022-2-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't imagine something like that being reliable. The meteorologists have trouble forecasting the temperature and precipitation in my area within hours at least, much less minutes.
2022-2-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 2-5 19:43
I can't imagine something like that being reliable. The meteorologists have trouble forecasting the temperature and precipitation in my area within hours at least, much less minutes.

I can't imagine something like that being reliable.
I hope you're joking
2022-2-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey siri, what time is sunset always works for me.
2022-2-5
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Planit for Photographers estimates everything very accurately  https://www.yingwentech.com/  

Here's some examples of planed shots where the weather played ball..

https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/ ... e-a22d-5f0844ed5f26

https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/ ... 9-92e3-f9686600de99

https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/ ... e-8670-4e5f7f797514

https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/ ... 4-89d0-e5241508edf9

This last one the moon was supposed to be right at the tip of the mountain but shortly after this was taken cloud obscured the moungtain...

https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/mysite/queenstown-lakes?pgid=j7a1tk30-c888b0b8-2f4f-46a5-a7fa-60c8ac61f035
2022-2-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im working on the principal that the app only fails if it has a high % of a good sky and then its wrong,   so far Ive had no false positives from any of the apps.
But Its only been a few days so much more data is needed.
2022-2-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-5 19:57
I can't imagine something like that being reliable.
I hope you're joking

Not sunset time, but weather conditions for taking pictures.
2022-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-6 06:29

They’re some very good weather apps and usually anything from 24 hours is fairly reliable. Taking photos normally depends on light which can be hugely effected by simple cloud movements which is difficult to forecast , on location you can usually figure a lot of that as you see it. But landscape is not a fast sport and if your depending on the light then it can be a long day. Weather apps forecasts etc are usually the first thing photographers will check out before going to shoot photography .
2022-2-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-6 06:42
They’re some very good weather apps and usually anything from 24 hours is fairly reliable. Taking photos normally depends on light which can be hugely effected by simple cloud movements which is difficult to forecast , on location you can usually figure a lot of that as you see it. But landscape is not a fast sport and if your depending on the light then it can be a long day. Weather apps forecasts etc are usually the first thing photographers will check out before going to shoot photography .

Yes, I know. But I don't believe there is any way to predict just how beautiful a sunrise/sunset will be. This is the OPs query.
2022-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-6 14:52
Yes, I know. But I don't believe there is any way to predict just how beautiful a sunrise/sunset will be. This is the OPs query.

No there’s not , but but you’re better having the tools that will give you the best chance. Most people are surprised with big sunsets and sunrise.

But its not all about luck
2022-2-6
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Never had a problem with PhotoPills. Gives a schedule for any date, plus AR view with the option to "scroll time" as a preview. Also quite a few other great features and data for photographers.
2022-2-7
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nicodema Posted at 2-7 06:43
Never had a problem with PhotoPills. Gives a schedule for any date, plus AR view with the option to "scroll time" as a preview. Also quite a few other great features and data for photographers.

Is it good with the actual light prediction, not just timing/location?
2022-2-7
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 2-7 06:58
Is it good with the actual light prediction, not just timing/location?

Just timing and location I'm afraid. I hadn't appreciated those other apps tried to predict the quality. That does sound massively error prone and over optimistic.
2022-2-7
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nicodema Posted at 2-7 08:29
Just timing and location I'm afraid. I hadn't appreciated those other apps tried to predict the quality. That does sound massively error prone and over optimistic.

I see, thank you.
Timing, location, and even the weather one can get for free in a variety of ways. e.g. the iOS weather app tells you both timing and weather for the location of your choosing.
A number of apps (free or paid) will provide you with additional info, such as angles (Photographer's Ephemeris) and cloud patterns (NOAA Radar). As I have mentioned before, those do require some "reading".
All in all, the is no app I know that would reliably tell you something like "hey, it's gonna be a great light for sunset", or " meh, overcast/clear skies, don't even bother".
2022-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Nicodema Posted at 2-7 08:29

I think the light is something the photographer has to figure out. We were always thought low lying cloud were the sun is setting will block the sun but medium cloud height and no low cloud will be a decent sunset. but apart from low cloud on the horizon all other cloud formations should benefit a good sunset.

So cloud apps do help but you still have to figure them out..
2022-2-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-6 06:29

Right. I should have been more specific. Even the local newspaper can "predict" the times for sunsets and sunrises
2022-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules