Fly App installed in SD card
2143 26 2022-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marciano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8748281 ft
Uruguay

I have just installed Fly on a Tripltek tablet, Android 10 with a Samsung 256GB micro SD card.
I wasn't asked where to install it but it did in the SD card as I see in Storage settings.
For Fly performance would it be better to have it installed in the internal memory?

2022-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

well yes , but I’m sure you can easily transfer from SD card to internal memory. If you remove card forget to put it back or it gets corrupted as they do, you need to restart. Its not a big deal and maybe having a backup will help you out someday.
2022-2-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-6 13:14
well yes , but I’m sure you can easily transfer from SD card to internal memory. If you remove card forget to put it back or it gets corrupted as they do, you need to restart. Its not a big deal and maybe having a backup will help you out someday.

I seriously doubt you can simply transfer an installed program from one memory to another as a functioning program.
All sorts of links need to be created and that is done during installation, the links used to find stuff on the mSD card would be of no use when the program was on/in the tablet's memory.
If it was otherwise, moving an operating system etc. from one hard drive to another (e.g. when increasing disc size) would be a walk in the park.

I would also be rather surprised if data transfer rates, to and from the mSD card, were sufficient to allow the App to run off the mSD card.

The OP should be able to put the APK on the mSD card and then either install the App on the tablet using that APK or copy the APK to the tablet's internal memory and install it using the latter.
2022-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-6 13:32
I seriously doubt you can simply transfer an installed program from one memory to another as a functioning program.
All sorts of links need to be created and that is done during installation, the links used to find stuff on the mSD card would be of no use when the program was on/in the tablet's memory.
If it was otherwise, moving an operating system etc. from one hard drive to another (e.g. when increasing disc size) would be a walk in the park.

Ok maybe your right, hands up I got this wrong. But he did download the app through the tripletek tablet and chose to save it on his removable SD storage. If you read his opening line “I have just installed Fly on a tripletek tablet” so I stand corrected.
2022-2-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-6 13:42
Ok maybe your right, hands up I got this wrong. But he did download the app through the tripletek tablet and chose to save it on his removable SD storage. If you read his opening line “I have just installed Fly on a tripletek tablet” so I stand corrected.

Galaxy S9+ gives the option to switch most programs between internal storage and SD card on the fly, but my DJI Fly app is not one of those programs.
2022-2-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-6 13:32
I seriously doubt you can simply transfer an installed program from one memory to another as a functioning program.
All sorts of links need to be created and that is done during installation, the links used to find stuff on the mSD card would be of no use when the program was on/in the tablet's memory.
If it was otherwise, moving an operating system etc. from one hard drive to another (e.g. when increasing disc size) would be a walk in the park.

I have done just that many times on Android. Installed to card and moved to card in order to free up internal storage. The system does all the reassociating work when moving. As long as the Tripltek version allows it. If not, I would uninstall and reinstall to internal memory.
2022-2-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am stunned, so there's no problem with data transfer to and from the mSD card? (I mean data being used by the program).
Then it is me that stands corrected lol. Sorry Hallmark.

Why the chuffing heck can't Windows do it???? beep beep beep.
2022-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-6 15:03
I am stunned, so there's no problem with data transfer to and from the mSD card? (I mean data being used by the program).

Thats no problem. I was on shaky ground as I wasn’t so sure myself. I’m an apple guy. I download an app to my phone 10 minutes later its on my IPad
2022-2-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Like I said, it all depends on the manufacturers build. Some do not allow using the mSD as extra internal storage. Some do not allow the moving of apps. Mine have all been Samsung Galaxy series. Up until my S21 Ultra I used a mSD. This one doesn't have external memory.
2022-2-6
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Uruguay

Well, first time when I inserted the card I had to choose between 2 options:
1) Use for extra phone storage  
2) Use for portable storage
I selected 1) because because I am not going to remove the card to read it in my Mac as I do with the M3.
Printed user manual doesn't say anything about that and I am not that usual in Android devices.
But online help QA says select option 2.
So I formatted the card again in 2) mode and reinstalled Fly.
This time the app was installed in the internal memory.
It seems in mode 1) the device act as if it has the sum of both memories
2022-2-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So CZC here you go baiting again, why?   
It serves no purpose other than to provoke more ill feeling , downvotes and reports being filed against yourself.
My old man used to say if you can not say any thing constructive do not speak.
2022-2-6
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the longest time Windows couldn't do this due to the way programs depended on Windows Registry--but all that changed a few years ago.   Windows programs can now be compiled into a single executable file that contains everything needed by the program.  This deployment feature, of course, is at the discretion of the developer. For one reason or another, it doesn't seem to be widely used.

There is also another Windows deployment model that keeps all program resources in a single folder. This is much more common deployment model.  It allows folders containing installed applications to be relocated, without breaking the installed application.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us ... ploying/single-file

2022-2-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh Thanks.
So can I implement this in windows 7?
Yes I know it's an out of date OS but it suits my usage for a non serious stuff computer, I made the mistake of installing windows 10 and hate it so much that I partitioned the drive and put a new install of windows 7 back on but I am having to add the updates manually which is a pain.
I could copy windows 7 from another computer but the only mechanism I have found to do that needs, from memory,  the partition sizes to be the same size and they are not, so I am.......
2022-2-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Spazoo Posted at 2-6 16:59
For the longest time Windows couldn't do this due to the way programs depended on Windows Registry--but all that changed a few years ago.   Windows programs can now be compiled into a single executable file that contains everything needed by the program.  This deployment feature, of course, is at the discretion of the developer. For one reason or another, it doesn't seem to be widely used.

There is also another Windows deployment model that keeps all program resources in a single folder. This is much more common deployment model.  It allows folders containing installed applications to be relocated, without breaking the installed application.

Portable Apps!  I am a huge fan and user of applications found on portableapps.com.  Can be moved and used on any Windows machine with an open usb, no need to re-install anything.
2022-2-6
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-6 17:10
Oh Thanks.
Yes I know it's an out of date OS but it suits my usage for a non serious stuff computer, I made the mistake of installing windows 10 and hate it so much that I partitioned the drive and put a new install of windows 7 back on but I am having to add the updates manually which is a pain.

I'm pretty sure it requires Windows 8, and also that the application be compiled with this feature enabled.
2022-2-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's a pity.
2022-2-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2-6 17:37
Portable Apps!  I am a huge fan and user of applications found on portableapps.com.  Can be moved and used on any Windows machine with an open usb, no need to re-install anything.

Thank you for mentioning portable apps!  Just found a new favorite site!  Appreciated sir.
2022-2-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there marciano. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. Kindly please try using a different recommended mobile device and download the DJI Fly application for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Upon checking the said mobile devices ( Tripltek Tablet ) that you are using on the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile devices are not recommended for the said DJI application. DJI would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Tripltek Tablet will be able to work on the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it. For reference, I will post a link where in you can check the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Fly application ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly ). Thank you.
2022-2-6
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Uruguay

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-6 19:06
Hello there marciano. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. Kindly please try using a different recommended mobile device and download the DJI Fly application for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Upon checking the said mobile devices ( Tripltek Tablet ) that you are using on the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile devices are not recommended for the said DJI application. DJI would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Tripltek Tablet will be able to work on the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it. For reference, I will post a link where in you can check the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Fly application ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly ). Thank you.

How good Fly app could be run is not the only thing we have to take into account.
That list contains the iPhone 12 series. There is a Youtube video where the user compares some devices he has like an iPhone 12. a Tripltek and others.  He mentioned that that iPhone suddenly lowers the screen brightness in bright sun light. Same happens to me with an iPhone 7 plus and a friend of mine with an iPad Pro.
Thus said, pilots need to also have a good camera view
2022-2-7
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 2-6 18:55
Thank you for mentioning portable apps!  Just found a new favorite site!  Appreciated sir.

This is not the correct place to hype portable apps, but I'll give a short plug anyways (no, I'm not associated to this group in any way shape or form, just a fan):  This has the support of a lot of products and companies, including Mozilla, LibreOffice, and more.  I've been using their programs for many years.
2022-2-7
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2-7 13:00
This is not the correct place to hype portable apps, but I'll give a short plug anyways (no, I'm not associated to this group in any way shape or form, just a fan):  This has the support of a lot of products and companies, including Mozilla, LibreOffice, and more.  I've been using their programs for many years.

Totally got it.  Obviously I appreciate picking up knowledge from wherever, whenever I can.  The interesting thing about drones is that it is the one hobby that requires so much more than the drone.  From pre-flight planning and prep, to flying, to dumping memory cards and show off something amazing takes quite a few tools and tips.  : )  I am thankful for the sharing here.  
2022-2-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Spazoo Posted at 2-6 16:59
For the longest time Windows couldn't do this due to the way programs depended on Windows Registry--but all that changed a few years ago.   Windows programs can now be compiled into a single executable file that contains everything needed by the program.  This deployment feature, of course, is at the discretion of the developer. For one reason or another, it doesn't seem to be widely used.

Yes, that is the way I always distribute PC programs. I never require the user to use an installer. Not only that, no chance of overwriting any system support files. And... this didn't happen just a few years ago. I have been doing it for decades. It just was not officially supported... or encouraged. The registry usage was always an option. It's just now simpler and Registry is not required... or desirable for saving program settings and parameters..
2022-2-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-6 17:10
Oh Thanks.
My method works on Windows 7 but maybe not the new "official" type.
2022-2-7
Use props
fansc21125cf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 455463 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-6 16:56
So CZC here you go baiting again, why?   
It serves no purpose other than to provoke more ill feeling , downvotes and reports being filed against yourself.
My old man used to say if you can not say any thing constructive do not speak.

What is a CZC?
2022-5-23
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2-6 14:25
Galaxy S9+ gives the option to switch most programs between internal storage and SD card on the fly, but my DJI Fly app is not one of those programs.

I still have a Galaxy S9 plus laying around so your saying the Fly App works fine with that phone? The last couple weeks I've been using the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 and loving it. I had been using a 6th generation iPad and would always get the warning about overloading resources or something along those lines but with the S6, it's smooth sailing so far.
2022-5-23
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wanted to ask the same question
2022-5-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No idea now, lol, but I am wondering if this thread has been edited and if that editing has removed the 'context'.
A while back we suffered a lot of threads devolving into nursery school like behaviour with people being banned as a consequence.
2022-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules