United Kingdom

Thank you!
2022-2-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Still not available in Australia... still, that's the way the world is these days. Looking forward to it.  Now I'll watch the review!   I saw from a previous one that there's more to it than meets the eye.
2022-2-7
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-7 13:38
Still not available in Australia... still, that's the way the world is these days. Looking forward to it.  Now I'll watch the review!   I saw from a previous one that there's more to it than meets the eye.

Wasn't available here in the UK either - I had to get it shipped over from the US!
2022-2-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

An exemplary review, thanks.  My only gripe is that the locking pin design for attaching the camera, and the lack of mean to attach anything to the bottom of the stick, might make it difficult to mount a mic or light to the rig.  Still, where there's a will...
2022-2-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there IftiBashir. Good day and thank you for posting another interesting review video for the DJI Action 2. Again, thank you for your support and keep filming. .
2022-2-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2022-2-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-7 14:49
An exemplary review, thanks.  My only gripe is that the locking pin design for attaching the camera, and the lack of mean to attach anything to the bottom of the stick, might make it difficult to mount a mic or light to the rig.  Still, where there's a will...

You could use the camera in a cage - such a the Ulanzi Magnetic Cage linked at the end of the video - which would provide another 2 cold shoe mounts for mic and light etc....
But otherwise, no way to mount any other accessory to the extension rod itself.....
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D771%26typeid%3D771
2022-2-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-7 19:33
Hello there IftiBashir. Good day and thank you for posting another interesting review video for the DJI Action 2. Again, thank you for your support and keep filming.  .

No probs, thanks for watching!
2022-2-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 2-8 00:24
Thanks for sharing.

You're most welcome!
2022-2-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 2-8 02:45
You could use the camera in a cage - such a the Ulanzi Magnetic Cage linked at the end of the video - which would provide another 2 cold shoe mounts for mic and light etc....
But otherwise, no way to mount any other accessory to the extension rod itself.....
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=259508&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D771%26typeid%3D771

The problem with cage mounting accessories is that you have to be careful that the very wide lens does not "see" them.  This is particularly true of dead cat wind muffs on mics.  I mount mine on the lower part of a selfie stick, below the camera's "line of sight".
2022-2-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-8 06:19
The problem with cage mounting accessories is that you have to be careful that the very wide lens does not "see" them.  This is particularly true of dead cat wind muffs on mics.  I mount mine on the lower part of a selfie stick, below the camera's "line of sight".

Yes thats a very valid point!
2022-2-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Another nice one
2022-2-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

IftiBashir Posted at 2-8 02:46
No probs, thanks for watching!

Hi there IftiBashir. You are very much welcome and it is my pleasure to see your videos. Keep filming and have a nice day. .
2022-2-9
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you!
2022-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

My pleasure!
2022-2-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Now available in Australia - ordered today!
2022-2-10
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-10 02:22
Now available in Australia - ordered today!

Awesome! Enjoy!!
2022-2-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mine has arrived - and I love it - but...

- It's a great pity a cold shoe wasn't moulded into the side of it to accept accessories such as a mic.
- When attaching a 3rd party cold shoe between the tripod and the camera, the little locking pins get in the way of the cold shoe (which of course doesn't have the necessary sockets).  It's a pity the pins don't retract.  I'll have to improvise some kind of pad between the cold shoe and the tripod into which those pins can push.
- The remote control is designed to handle up to 8 cameras, but I suspect the number of users who will use that will be miniscule.  However, when you turn on the remote, it starts hunting for extra cameras every time.  When it finds the first one, a figure 1 appears on the display, and unless you then press the red button to stop the hunt, it will continue for 30 seconds.  No big deal, but perhaps the button on the side should have been devoted to multi-camera use, rather than the device defaulting to expect multi cameras, which as I said will almost never be present.
- The lanyard attachment holes are so placed that you can't put the remote into the tripod if you have a lanyard attached.

Plus point - I could imagine using a bit of sticky putty to attach the remote to a car steering wheel, and then you attach the camera in the car out of reach somewhere, and you could control the camera from the steering wheel as desired.  I'm sure many other such scenarios could be dreamed up.  Given that many users are finding that the Mimo app no longer works with the Action 2, this way of having at least a degree of remote control is very welcome.

Wish list - I wonder whether a firmware upgrade could enable the remote to work with the Pocket 2 as well?  Yes, I tried it and no, it doesn't pair.
2022-2-13
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All valid points!

I do hope that they release a mounting system for the remote - would like a handlebar/pole mount (which could be used on a steering wheel too!).....
2022-2-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

One DIY possibility would be to put the remote in a very small ziplock bag - thus making it at least splashproof - then taping the bag to whatever.  The record button is sufficiently light that it wouldn't be inhibited in a bag.  Perhaps keeping it in a bag would also make it more pocketable (less likely to disappear in the depths of a pocket or get dropped unnoticed).  Anyway - this sounds like one for the good people at Ulanzi!
2022-2-14
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-14 04:34
One DIY possibility would be to put the remote in a very small ziplock bag - thus making it at least splashproof - then taping the bag to whatever.  The record button is sufficiently light that it wouldn't be inhibited in a bag.  Perhaps keeping it in a bag would also make it more pocketable (less likely to disappear in the depths of a pocket or get dropped unnoticed).  Anyway - this sounds like one for the good people at Ulanzi!

That's actually a pretty good idea! lol
2022-2-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Rather than start another thread on this suject, I'll link here to my video showing practical examples of the extension rod and remote in use.

When you use the Action 2 on an extension rod, you've got to put your hand to the camera to operate it at the start and end of every clip and you've got to trim that off the clips when you edit the video.  Using the remote, either attached to the rod or held in your hand, you don't need to do that.  I've tried to illustrate that by using untrimmed clips in this video, except in a couple of places.

The range of the remote is ok but not amazing.  I've included some photos to try to illustrate this.  30 feet maybe??  

The length of the rod is fine for creative use - I'm about 6'2" and when I hold the extended rod downwards, the camera is just above the ground.  When I raise my arm fully, the camera will see over any crowd just fine.  But when the rod is collapsed to its minimum length, it's remarkably compact, and makes a neat way to use the camera just in that state.

2022-2-16
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some good points.

Generally I will always have some 'waste' footage at the start and end of each capture - at least 5 seconds or so. This is common practice as these handles can be trimmed and allow extra frames for transition effects etc to be added in post.
The remote uses only bluetooth rather then wifi, so yes range is much lower, but you get more battery life as a result - so I guess you lose one convenience for another! lol
2022-2-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Indeed, some trimming space is good best practice, but sometimes when vlogging a twitch of the thumb to decide on the next sentence can be a handy cheat!
2022-2-16
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems like most people purchasing this accessory are only purchasing for the remote control unit, rather then the extension rod/tripod - maybe DJI should sell the remote control as a separate accessory too?
2022-2-19
Use props
fans47e6ba09
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Given every time from a cold start you have switch on the camera, switch on the remote, stop the remote trying to pair with additional cameras by pressing the red button, then press the red button to start recording - just wondered how useable this setup is in real life usage?

These cameras tend to get used for quick clips from a cold start and it strikes me there's quite a few steps every shot from cold.
2022-2-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, it's not the most faffless device in use but it's a tool for a job / scenario - not useful for people who don't use the camera in a way or for a purpose that the accessory supports.    For instance, I wanted to record a series of clips with the camera needing to be motionless between clips - setting it up on the little tripod, then using the remote to do the starting / stopping ensured no movement at all until the sequence was complete.  If using the rod plus camera in a tourist-type situation there's nothing to stop you having the camera mounted on the rod but grabbing a shot operating the camera normally, or if you expect to shoot a number of clips in an area as you walk along and you want to do so single-handed, turn on the camera and remote and shoot at will.  I find that I much prefer to use the camera mounted on something more hand-friendly than the camera shape is, but then operating it (other than by voice) seems to need two hands.  Using the remote makes it a completely one-handed operation and not so obvious in use.  Etc etc
2022-2-19
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It works in other scenarios too - someone vlogging in a vehicle with the camera mount on the other side of the car - the remote can be used to start/stop capture while you drive.

More useful for me - the camera mounted on my bike, and being able to start/stop capture easily.
I do wish their were easy ways to mount the remote to the handlebar though.....
2022-2-19
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anyone come up with any creative ways to mount the remote control only?
2022-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules