DJI Action 3
7681 23 2022-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alex Thai
lvl.1

Thailand

Is DJI going to come up with a DJI Action 3 which will be an update of DJI Osmo Action 1?

DJI Action 2 was a disappointment for many people due to lot of issues that didn't happen Osmo Action 1.

1. Overheating problem
2. front lens which is not removable
3. battery which is not water proof
4. cannot directly charge main unit directly
5. extra reserve batteries are much more expensive than Osmo Action 1
6. SIM card slot on battery unit instead of main unit. The transfer of files into SIM card can be quite long and annoying
7. No slot for external microphone

2022-2-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any replacement model is bound to be a year away at this point.
2022-2-12
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well it wasn't a disappointment for me. I quite like it, and it works perfectly well for my uses!
I'm in no rush for an Action 3 whatsoever, which is at least 8-9 months away at this point.
2022-2-12
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

1. Overheating problem

- Rarely a problem for most users in real-world situations.  FW updates are improving efficiency but at the end of the day, tiny cameras with powerful processors are going to get hot - laws of physics.

2. front lens which is not removable

There are all sorts of lens protectors from 3rrd parties.   Personally I keep a UV filter on mine.   I think it would be been difficult within this design to make a removable front lens, however.

3. battery which is not water proof

The lower module has various openings - if these had been sealed it would have made the camera larger.  You can get varioius waterproof housings.  While the needs of minorities must be respected, I don't think most users need the full kit under water.

4. cannot directly charge main unit directly

You can with a quite cheap 3rd party add-on.

5. extra reserve batteries are much more expensive than Osmo Action 1

They are not just batteries.  The whole design concept would have needed to change to accomodate just a plain cheap battery.  Most users would simply carry a power pack if they needed it.  (I never have).

6. SIM card slot on battery unit instead of main unit. The transfer of files into SIM card can be quite long and annoying

File transfer seems in line with expectation here - and remember, as the internal memory is formatted after transfer, then you want the transfer to be sure to work, rather than super fast.  Of course you can transfer direct into your PC unless you filled the memory away from home.  A card sliot in the main unit would need waterproofing with attendant size increase.

7. No slot for external microphone

It takes USB audio devices - input and output - with no adapter required.  You can attach a cheap 3rd party USB adapter to use non-USB devices - no need to pay a lot of money to DJI for that.  The Action 1 also needs an adapter, for any type of mic, so the Action 2 is ahead in that respect.  And it handles stereo mics very well, unlike the Action 1.  And the built in mics are class leading.

Bottom line is that DJI marketed this as the Action 2 when it should have been the "modular 1" or whatever.  It really has no connection with the Action 1, or indeed any other action camera.  It's its own thing.
2022-2-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We really appreciate you looking forward to our future products. With regards to this, we have not yet received any information related to your question. Please stay tuned to DJI's official website, as we will update the latest news on the official website as soon as we received it. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-2-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-12 03:27
1. Overheating problem

- Rarely a problem for most users in real-world situations.  FW updates are improving efficiency but at the end of the day, tiny cameras with powerful processors are going to get hot - laws of physics.

You make many valid points.  
2022-2-12
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

For me, audio ability with the webcam would be good
2022-2-12
Use props
carrot
lvl.2

New Zealand

DJI made a great product with the Action 2, and doing another gopro copy is a waste of time, because people will always favor gopros due to their marketing.

Compared to the Osmo Action, the Action 2 has:
  • higher bitrate, framerate, resolution, image quality
  • better image stabilization
  • larger sensor
  • wider field of view
  • better form factor (size and weight) even with the second module
  • better water-proofness due to non-removable lens cover and battery
  • works as webcam w/o third party software
  • can have external mic without adapter
  • sd card is optional due to built-in memory
2022-2-12
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

carrot Posted at 2-12 20:12
DJI made a great product with the Action 2, and doing another gopro copy is a waste of time, because people will always favor gopros due to their marketing.

Compared to the Osmo Action, the Action 2 has:

But using it as a helmet cam with that short batterylife + cardspace (main unit) would be a pain. And using it with powerunit/screenunit will not be great either since it will be a bit big.

2022-2-13
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Or you could use it horizontal with HorizonSteady switched on for a standard 16:9 capture.....

I do wish a firmware update would allow horizontal use and capture at 16:9 rather the 9:16 though - a setting to change orientation like that would be great.
2022-2-13
Use props
djiuser_hERyVtqMbNEE
New

Thailand

DJI Action 2 was a terrible design, that's why the sales was low.

DJI Action 3 went back to the old design and will be released on Sept 14. Hopefully, it will give better low light quality and HDR.

It has none of the problems of Action 2.
2022-9-12
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Poor stabilization (glitches, bad behavior in some movements) and no gyro data to make stabilization in post.

It's a product with a lot of potential, but half baked, and DJI didn't respond to any of this problems. Only one firmware upgrade and thanks...
2022-9-12
Use props
DestinX
lvl.2
Sweden

Cobani Posted at 9-12 11:12
Poor stabilization (glitches, bad behavior in some movements) and no gyro data to make stabilization in post.

It's a product with a lot of potential, but half baked, and DJI didn't respond to any of this problems. Only one firmware upgrade and thanks...

Completely agree with you, the quality at sunset (anything not under direct sunlight) is terrible. Even my old Sony action cam from 2010 has better low light footage.
Also the jitter in image stabilization.. just horrible. Power users will know what I mean I'm not here to write a long post about it, if you are an advanced user you will know.
Power / screen module is terrible for vacations or any other occasions. Having to recharge and transfer footage is so unnecessary and annoying...
I feel dji should provide a trade-in program for DJI action 2 going to 3, this was a complete messup... I'm considering GoPro to be honest.
Nobody probably cares but one lost loyal customer should be more worth than selling a product witch clearly has image stabilization problems.
2022-9-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Advanced users would know how to apply settings to minimise the inevitable shortcomings of EIS particularly in lower light.
2022-9-13
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-13 01:46
Advanced users would know how to apply settings to minimise the inevitable shortcomings of EIS particularly in lower light.

Advanced users use a gimbal...
2022-9-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I seem to have seven gimbals.  I must be very, very advanced!  
2022-9-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Osmo Action 3 seems to have same specs as Action 2, but in 21 hours we will know for sure.
I can't wait to buy it!
2022-9-13
Use props
DestinX
lvl.2
Sweden

BS, i don't want to use shutter speed 1/300 walking around in a mall having to change the shutter speed at every lighting condition. You just talk crap, defending what clearly works on other cameras. Besides have you seen the grainy night footage? It's full of grain in anything above iso 3200. Nice try but go with you BS somewhere else your clearly a but licker or an insider
2022-9-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DestinX Posted at 9-13 10:06
BS, i don't want to use shutter speed 1/300 walking around in a mall having to change the shutter speed at every lighting condition. You just talk crap, defending what clearly works on other cameras. Besides have you seen the grainy night footage? It's full of grain in anything above iso 3200. Nice try but go with you BS somewhere else your clearly a but licker or an insider

You wrote earlier that you consider gopro, have you not seen how grainy gopro is in low light compared to even the old osmo action? I have both and when I record in midwinter here in Norway, only my osmo action deliver great footage while the gopro 10 is just grain.

And if you want good video indoors or in lowlight, you should not use any action cameras and instead buy a Sony with FX sensor.
2022-9-13
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

I need motion blur, so 1/1000 SS it's not what i'm looking for. With GoPro, 4K60 1/120 SS and works flawlessly, and DJI Action 2 with the same settings are TOTALLY GARBAGE.

Please c'mon...
2022-9-13
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

Helmut Ruch Posted at 9-13 05:08
Advanced users use a gimbal...

I can't install a gimbal in an 5 inch FPV drone and 2,5 inch Cinewoop.
I need a solid IS, or gyro data to make stabilization in post. NONE OF THESE TWO OPTIONS IT'S AVAILABLE. So... Action? NOT.

Next.
2022-9-13
Use props
jerome42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10617 ft
France

Still no news ?

New DJI camera are not enough compact.

Is an alternative to Insta360 Go from DJI is coming ?
2023-10-28
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

you have gyro data with the action2

sorry insta go 1/2/3  are
are a joke for the price
2023-10-28
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer