Polar Vista Recording to Goggles without Flight Controller?
3569 2 2022-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

I have a Caddx Polar Vista camera system which I'd like to use without a flight controller. My goggles receive the video signal from the Vista but I can't find a way to start a recording in the goggles. The message "Low power mode. Unable to record videos." appears in the lower right of the display.

While I intend to use the Vista with flight controller in the future, I'd like to be able to record video without a flight controller.

I thought it would be fun to record simultaneous video using both the DJI FPV Drone and the Polar Caddx Vista. I have two sets of Version 2 Goggles and I'd have both the goggles record in order to make a fair comparison between the two transmitted images.

Here's my hacked together monstrosity.

DJI FPV Drone with Polar Caddx Vista added.

DJI FPV Drone with Polar Caddx Vista added.

The Vista can be powered from the same 6S battery as the FPV Drone. I cut some of the rubber away from the connector so I could solder a power connection for the Vista.

Added connection for Vista.

Added connection for Vista.

If the Vista requires a series of commands in order to allow the goggles to record, does anyone have the applicatable data which is sent? Rather than adding a flight controller, I'd rather add a small microcontroller and mimic the data using a microcontroller. If I have to, I'll temporarily connect a flight controller and capture the data exchange with a logic analyzer. I'd rather not go through all this trouble if there's an easy way to get the goggles to record with a flight controller connected to the Vista.

Edit: I was surprised how much better the transmitted video from the Polar Vista looked when I tested this contraption just after the sun set. I assume the transmitted video from the FPV drone will look better than the transmitted video from the Polar Vista in bright daylight but in low light, the Polar Vista looks much better than FPV drone's video.
2022-2-12
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229255 ft
Germany

turn off temperature protection
2022-2-12
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Xviews Posted at 2-12 23:19
turn off temperature protection

Apparently I hadn't attempted to set the temperature control off while receiving video from the Vista. When the Vista isn't on, that option is set to off but grayed out. Thanks to your suggestion, I checked to see if the options changed when the Vista was transmitting. As I'm sure you already know, the option was no longer grayed out and it was set to "on." Setting the option to "off" fixed things for me.

Thank you for the help. I just made my first in goggle recording from the Vista.
2022-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules