Linear Mission Planning with Terrain Awareness
3968 5 2022-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
T.B.E
lvl.1

United States

I've seen some older forums on here saying that it wasnt possible to do i just wanted to check in after some time had passed and see if anyone had a solution to this problem or not?

I have tried to make a KML file on google earth using the "Path" option, however when in terrain awareness mode the "Path" will not be noticed as a KML only the "Polygon" can be recognized as a KML and usable in terrain awareness mode. I am needing to fly a corridor on a road and the option of linear flight is amazing, however this road is through mountains and without Terrain Awareness i might as well sign my drones death cert.

ANY input is appreciated.

Thanks.
2022-3-7
Use props
SurveyP4RTK
Second Officer

Germany

Yep this problem still exists. Sadly there is no build in Linear Mission flying with terrain awareness.

My solution to this problem is, that I copy my road axis about 10 to 20 meters parallel to the left and right side. From these two lines I now make a polygon and plan my terrain awareness mission. I rotate my flight path 90 degress to the road axis, so the drone is gridding from one side to another along the road.

If you need to cover long distance roads, this method probalby wouldn't fit.
In my case I only need to cover roads with a length below three miles and therefore I need most oft the time three flight batteries to get the job done.

Hope I could help.
2022-3-8
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was going to be my suggested solution as well (make a polygon and do a 2-d mapping mission rather than a linear one). Haven't tried it myself, but good to hear @SurveyP4RTK has had success with the approach.

Just another example of things the P4R can't but should be able to do, especially ~ 3.5 years after release (like 360° panos, missions below 25m AGL, and countless others). I think we can consider dev on the GS-RTK app dead @ this point; nothing really new has come out for some time.

Good luck!
2022-3-8
Use props
T.B.E
lvl.1

United States

SurveyP4RTK Posted at 3-8 01:46
Yep this problem still exists. Sadly there is no build in Linear Mission flying with terrain awareness.

My solution to this problem is, that I copy my road axis about 10 to 20 meters parallel to the left and right side. From these two lines I now make a polygon and plan my terrain awareness mission. I rotate my flight path 90 degress to the road axis, so the drone is gridding from one side to another along the road.

Anything helps so thank you for your input, I was just hoping by now they had implemented linear planning with Terrain awareness, unfortunately not. My mission is about 13 miles long of roadway in the mountains. I ended up flying using a polygon KML that I imported from google earth and just having it fly the best it could across the road. I’ve got about half of it done and I guess when I finish we will see the results!
2022-3-8
Use props
T.B.E
lvl.1

United States

patiam Posted at 3-8 08:39
This was going to be my suggested solution as well (make a polygon and do a 2-d mapping mission rather than a linear one). Haven't tried it myself, but good to hear @SurveyP4RTK has had success with the approach.

Just another example of things the P4R can't but should be able to do, especially ~ 3.5 years after release (like 360° panos, missions below 25m AGL, and countless others). I think we can consider dev on the GS-RTK app dead @ this point; nothing really new has come out for some time.

It’s very unfortunate that this hasn’t been implemented, with all they have already developed this addition couldn’t be a very difficult one I can’t imagine..?
2022-3-8
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Doesn't seem to matter if it's easy or even if it is a functionality that already exists on other DJI platforms; there really isn't much indication that they are putting any effort into improving GS RTK or adding features to it.

DJI Pilot is more "alive" as it is working with the M300 RTK, but I believe it has terrain awareness for Mapping Missions only as well.
2022-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules