Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nienco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 859049 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good day everybody.

I'm still new in the drone category, I use ND filters in photography and saw a few YouTube videos about ND filters on the DJI Mini 2.
Seems to make quite a différance when using with pro settings. But I do have a few concerns using the filters...........

Can ND filters have an influence on the performance of the gimbal or damage the gimbal?
And can ND filters reduce the lifespan of the gimbal in the long run?

Kind regards,
Nico

2022-3-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For the Mini2 the filters are usually about 0.8grams and have no effect on the gimbal.  On the larger drones there are heavier filters that require a counter weight to work correctly.
2022-3-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Just make sure the filters are fully seated. Otherwise you can get light leakage.
2022-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

All reputable filters will have been designed for the Gimbal, Polar pro, Freewell, dji etc and they will not damage your gimbal. If you exceed the weight that the gimbal can work correctly you will get a warning and it will be immediate.

Filters will mainly be used for video and you won’t need them all the time , really only needed when you are filming moving subjects IE people moving animals moving water waves etc.

Ive been using filters for 7 years now and they have never affected my gimbals.
2022-3-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Nico. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( ND Filters ) that you want to use with your DJI Mini 2. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who use these ND Filters when flying there DJI Mini 2. Just a reminder if you will be putting a 3rd party accessory like ND filters on your DJI Mini 2, it will add weight to the DJI drone's gimbal and it might affect the performance of the said DJI drone in flight and we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2022-3-8
Use props
Nienco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 859049 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thank you for all the info!
2022-3-26
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Nienco Posted at 3-26 07:25
Thank you for all the info!

If you know ND filters from regular photography, you know their purpose: reducing the light hitting the sensor to allow correct exposure in case you shoot in an environment where your fastest shutter setting isn't sufficient - and for getting that nice "soft water" effect by long-time exposure.
With a drone, it's a bit different: You've got a quite insensitive sensor with your Mini 2, so you won't need ND filters for exposure correction.
The filters are used to create motion blur for "more cinematic" looks by locking the exposure time in manual mode to 1/60 second (if you're recording 30 frames per second).
I've got a set of ND filters and gave them a quick try. To be honest: I didn't like the footage taken with an ND filter better than footage taken without. So I am not convinced of the "must have ND filter hype", but will give it another try today.

If you know someone with compatible ND filters, I suggest to try them out before you buy, to see if you really need them.

And: Anything you add to your Mini 2 will change it's characteristics more or less, will also affect air resistance and battery life. But it's insignificant given the weight of just below 1 g (just put one on my powder scale) and the shape of the filters causing no significant change of your Mini 2's silhouette and air resistance. Might be a bit different with ND filters with built-in polarizer.
2022-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules