DJI Mavic 3 Firmware Update: Fixed Slow GPS Lock
2113 33 2022-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mavic3tw
First Officer
Flight distance : 6485269 ft
Taiwan

This video shows (Cold Start in 50 seconds):  1. Turn on Mavic  3 ➡️    2.  Connect RC ➡️   3. Take off ➡️  4. Wait for GPS lock ➡️   Home Point Update
The other scenarios I tested (not in this video):  1.  Turn on Mavic 3 ➡️   2. Connect RC ➡️   3 Wait for GPS lock ➡️   Home Point Update ➡️   3. Take off.

For the 2nd flight (after cold start) and later flight in the same location, it only needs to take 3 seconds or without waiting.
I am very happy with the test result.

I use RC-N1 with iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Firmware & APP Updates:
- Mavic 3 Firmware: v01.00.0600
- Remote Controller: v04.13.0600
- DJI Fly App: v1.5.10 (iOS version)

Notes: If the update fails, restart aircraft, remote controller, and DJI Fly or DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series), and retry.  

2022-3-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mavic3tw. Good day and thank you for posting this video you have created for the DJI Mavic 3. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-3-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is excellent results!  And the way it was always supposed to work.  Good deal!
2022-3-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds really great William.    Glad it fixed any GPS issues you may have had previously.  Unfortunately, others are reporting mixed results.  
2022-3-24
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-24 02:32
Sounds really great William.    Glad it fixed any GPS issues you may have had previously.  Unfortunately, others are reporting mixed results.

I found Location Services in Privacy settings on my iPhone 12 Pro Max would not be turned on automatically when I opened DJI Fly app. So I manually turned on Location Services before taking off.  I have ever downgraded to the previous firmware version and then updated the firmware to the latest version with DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series).
You could see that Home Point Updated is faster than the previous version.  I am glad to see this test result.
2022-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is promising!
2022-3-24
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-24 07:01
No way that was a cold start.

I have ever downgraded to the previous firmware version and then updated the firmware to the latest version with DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series).
You could see that Home Point Updated is faster than the previous version. I am glad to see this test result. Maybe this time I'm just lucky ^_^   I will do more tests ...
2022-3-24
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-24 07:42
If you did that test right after updating- it isn’t accurate. The drone is capturing satellites during the fw update process which takes a number of minutes.

You’ll have to go to a new location or wait a number of hours *after* updating in the same location to get an accurate picture.

The longest time I waited for the lock on the sats was less than 1 - 1.5 minutes after updating firmware and 1st flight, but later for the 2nd flight and 3rd flight, it only took less than 5 seconds in the same location.  I will go to different locations and do more tests later ...
2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

mavic3tw Posted at 3-24 08:01
The longest time I waited for the lock on the sats was less than 1 - 1.5 minutes after updating firmware and 1st flight, but later for the 2nd flight and 3rd flight, it only took less than 5 seconds in the same location.  I will go to different locations and do more tests later ...

Don’t pay any heed to that guy, knows very little. It takes me almost 1 minute to open RC and get app started and if I power up my drone first the the Sats are up and ready to go. It was clear in your video that your craft was already started while waiting for RC + App to open..
2022-3-24
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

While I appreciate you trying to be helpful this video is misleading. 23 sats in 5 seconds is only possible in what is called a warm boot of the GPS. This was never the problem with the gps in the mavic 3. Warm boots were always super fast. The issue was on cold boots. I have seen a LOT of videos and information being posted that is clearly missing this important distinction. On a cold boot, the drone essentially downloads data and initializes its connections with the three supported gnss constellations. This is where the drone had serious hiccups previous. On a warm boot, this data has all been cached in the drone, and it simply initializes a reconnect based on the cached data. Warm boots are much much faster for this reason. You really can not compare the two in the way that is being compared. It is important to compare apples to apples in this case.
2022-3-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-24 07:01
No way that was a cold start.

I really have to agree with you here!
2022-3-24
Use props
Ma Junsung
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1062011 ft
South Korea

I've tested GPS Lock with Cold lunch. It takes 2 minutes.!!  It has been takes 5 minutes before.
2022-3-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

mavic3tw Posted at 3-24 03:21
I found Location Services in Privacy settings on my iPhone 12 Pro Max would not be turned on automatically when I opened DJI Fly app. So I manually turned on Location Services before taking off.  I have ever downgraded to the previous firmware version and then updated the firmware to the latest version with DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series).
You could see that Home Point Updated is faster than the previous version.  I am glad to see this test result.

Happy that you are getting positive results with respect to GPS lock.  
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Ma Junsung Posted at 3-24 17:04
I've tested GPS Lock with Cold lunch. It takes 2 minutes.!!  It has been takes 5 minutes before.

Except for Mavic 3 firmware update, make sure to upgrade RC firmware and DJI Fly to the latest version as well. I did a cold start test this morning again in a different location. I still can get a pretty fast GPS lock in about 30 seconds.  For the 2nd flight and later flight in the same location, it only needs to take 3 seonds.  i am very happy with this test results. ^_^
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

frankymusik Posted at 3-24 10:55
I really have to agree with you here!

Except for Mavic 3 firmware update, make sure to upgrade RC/RC Pro firmware and DJI Fly to the latest versions and turn on location service on your phone before taking off. I did a cold start test this morning again in another location. I still can get a pretty fast GPS lock within 30 seconds. It still depends on the weather condition and available satellites on the day. For the 2nd flight and later flight in the same location, it only needs to take 3 seconds or without waiting. I am very happy with the test result.
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Tornado12 Posted at 3-24 09:38
While I appreciate you trying to be helpful this video is misleading. 23 sats in 5 seconds is only possible in what is called a warm boot of the GPS. This was never the problem with the gps in the mavic 3. Warm boots were always super fast. The issue was on cold boots. I have seen a LOT of videos and information being posted that is clearly missing this important distinction. On a cold boot, the drone essentially downloads data and initializes its connections with the three supported gnss constellations. This is where the drone had serious hiccups previous. On a warm boot, this data has all been cached in the drone, and it simply initializes a reconnect based on the cached data. Warm boots are much much faster for this reason. You really can not compare the two in the way that is being compared. It is important to compare apples to apples in this case.

Except for Mavic 3 firmware update, make sure to upgrade RC/RC Pro firmware and DJI Fly to the latest versions and turn on location service on your phone before taking off. I did a cold start test this morning again in another location. I still can get a pretty fast GPS lock within 30 seconds. It still depends on the weather condition and available satellites on the day. For the 2nd flight and later flight in the same location, it only needs to take 3 seconds or without waiting. I am very happy with the test result.
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Ma Junsung Posted at 3-24 17:04

2022-3-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry, but this could not be a "true" cold start.
No consumer drone in existence acquires GPS that fast.
M2P, A2S - all those that are generally considered "fast" and "acceptable" still take a good half a minute.

It's like hearing an F150 can get to 100mph in 5 seconds... Sure, if it was already going downhill at 99mph (or better at 110...
2022-3-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-25 20:36
Not only are you totally correct, but the times that he is stating are way faster than the actual given cold start specs for the ublox chip itself (in ideal conditions) for a TTFF.

Wishful thinking... Not a mortal sin though
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

DarthSLR Posted at 3-25 20:45
Wishful thinking... Not a mortal sin though

You may watch this  cold start test video in another location on 2nd day  
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-25 21:17
Yes. You took off before a home point was set. After a minute or so, you had 6 satellites.
You reached a maximum restricted altitude with only 7 satellites at 29m.  That video literally shows the problem.

For 2nd Day Test in a different locations,  Within 40 seconds Home Point Updated , Total 13 satellites locked, not 6
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-25 21:25
After you took off with no satellite fix with only 6 satellites-and had to go up to a locked maximum altitude of like 96ft.

Anyone could do that even on the prior fw.

Actually, I can wait for home point update before taking off.  After turn on Mavic 3 and connecting with RC, the GPS locking process starts.  Total all I need is about 40 seconds and locking on satellites.  The new firmware really fixed the slow GPS lock issue.   
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-25 21:31
That’s not what your video shows at all.

The 2nd video shows (Cold Start):  1. Turn on Mavic  3 --> 2.  Connect RC --> 3. Take off --> 4. Wait for GPS lock --> Home Point Update
The other scenarios I can test (not in this video) :  1.  Turn on Mavic 3 --> 2. Connect RC --> 3 Wait for GPS lock --> Home Point Update -->  3. Take off.
For the 2nd flight (after cold start) and later flight in the same location, it only needs to take 3 seconds or without waiting.

2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-25 21:40
Right. As I said- you are taking off and *then* waiting for the home point update.

It's not necessary to take off and wait for home point update in the sky.
Actually, I can wait for home point update before taking off.  
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-25 21:47
That’s not what your video showed.

I can make the other video to show. I did test it without problems. At least the new firmware can help to speed up locking on satellites and home point updates. It's much faster than the previous version.
2022-3-25
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-25 21:55
Then make another video. But it’s kind of hard to prove it’s a cold start.

All I need:  Turn on Mavic 3  -->   home point update within few seconds (not few minutes) --> take off and enjoy flying  .... ^_^
I know that It's not perfect yet. I believe that DJI will keep releasing new firmware with bug fixing later...
2022-3-25
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

mavic3tw Posted at 3-25 21:11
You may watch this  cold start test video in another location on 2nd day  https://youtu.be/l49-L6uGIPk

The only problem is that you are writing something here that you are not actually doing!
Look at your headline: in 5 s...
Watch your second video: different content than your statements...
That's not okay!
Many can confirm (me too!) that the SAT Lock works better now. But one must still not spread "nonsense"...!
2022-3-26
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

frankymusik Posted at 3-26 00:02
The only problem is that you are writing something here that you are not actually doing!

I did Day 1 test and Day2 test and got different results.   
2022-3-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

The only problem is that you are writing something here that you are not actually doing!

Agreed, it also looks like the drone was turned on way before the RC because when the video started it started with the app showing 6 sats and the newest firmware does not give sats so fast, it goes to like 6/8 sats within 20 seconds and then goes to 12/14 sats and lock home point- also he had to fly up to get a lock.
2022-3-26
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

The only problem is that you are writing something here that you are not actually doing!

This video shows (Cold Start):  1. Turn on Mavic  3 ➡️    2.  Connect RC ➡️   3. Take off ➡️  4. Wait for GPS lock ➡️   Home Point Update
The other scenarios I tested (not in this video):  1.  Turn on Mavic 3 ➡️   2. Connect RC ➡️   3 Wait for GPS lock ➡️   Home Point Update ➡️   3. Take off.

2022-3-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

mavic3tw Posted at 3-26 00:11
This video shows (Cold Start):  1. Turn on Mavic  3 ➡️    2.  Connect RC ➡️   3. Take off ➡️  4. Wait for GPS lock ➡️   Home Point Update
The other scenarios I tested (not in this video):  1.  Turn on Mavic 3 ➡️   2. Connect RC ➡️   3 Wait for GPS lock ➡️   Home Point Update ➡️   3. Take off.

We are happy that you are happy. It is working just as everyone else's drone is. Safe Flying my Friend
2022-3-26
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

I did Day 1 Test Day 2 Test.  Day 2  video shows (Cold Start):  1. Turn on Mavic  3 ➡️    2.  Connect RC ➡️   3. Take off ➡️  4. Wait for GPS lock ➡️   Home Point Update

2022-3-26
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Hong Kong

good one thanks for leting us to know. btw you were some where near Beitou Hills am I right?  area has good reception in anyway
2022-3-26
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

akozc Posted at 3-26 06:46
good one thanks for leting us to know. btw you were some where near Beitou Hills am I right?  area has good reception in anyway

Thanks for the comments!  Home Point is near the beach in Tamsui, not Beitou. Wish you a great weekend and Happy flying !
2022-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules