New firmware v1.03.30.20 STILL HAVE GLITCHES IN 360 ROLLS!!
2498 22 2022-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

I can't believe it... I bought this camera specially for FPV because the size, weight and image quality... but it's an absolute garbage.

Old firmware:
4K60 - 1/120 - Rocksteady - WB 5500 - D-Cinelike: Glitches in 360 side rolls
4K60 - 1/120 - Steady - WB 5500 - D-Cinelike: NO GLITCHES

New firmware
4K60 - 1/120 - Rocksteady - WB 5500 - D-Cinelike: STILL glitches in 360 side rolls
4K60 - 1/120 - Steady - WB 5500 - D-Cinelike: NOW WE HAVE GLITCHES IN THIS MODE TOO!!

I tried everything (horizon calibration, hard reset, main storage, SD storage, etc) but the glitches are there.

So... I have a expensive camera that have glitches or jumps in the footage when I do 360 side rolls.
I can't use Rocksteady because I have glitches.
Now I can't use Steady because I have glitches.
I can't use GyroFlow to stabilize in post because we don't have the gyro data.
SO... I CAN'T USE THIS CAMERA FOR FPV!!!! I'm still using GoPro 8 with ZERO ERRORS in the same configuration, no matter what, I don't have any hiccup in the footage. Always clean.

What do I have to do with this camera? Throw it away and no longer trust DJI?
How we can do FPV freestyle with ANY SORT OF STABILIZATION?????? THERE'S NO WAY!!!!!
I'm very angry... I can't believe it. The camera keeps collecting dust because it ruins any recording.

TESTS:
4K60 - 1/120 - NO EIS - WB 5500 - D-Cinelike: NO GLITCHES - ABSOLUTE GARBAGE WITHOUT STABILIZATION

4K60 - 1/120 - Steady - WB 5500 - D-Cinelike: GLITCHY

4K60 - 1/120 - Rocksteady - WB 5500 - D-Cinelike: GLITCHY

What can I do? Throw it away and buy more GoPro or Insta360? I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!

2022-3-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I'm sorry for your disappointment.  My immediate reaction is that you are using a shutter speed that is likely to be too low for EIS to handle in this situation.   EIS works by comparing frames, and if the shutter speed is too low, there is likely to be motion blur in the frames which messes with the frame-to-frame comparison.  As I recall it from another thread, 1/300 is a better shutter speed for EIS to work (and that's with any EIS camera).
2022-3-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Is there everything normal when it‘s used in other situations without installing on FPV? If not, please provide other related videos for us to do further confirmation. Thanks for your understanding.
2022-3-24
Use props
djiuser_06uVCiKt99Ra
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98179 ft
Canada

My main goal for buying that camera was for for FPV and I am in the same position as you ... The main goal of filming in 30fps with a fix shutter speed is to make a natural blur that is pleasing for the eyes . Combined with the stabilisation it makes a good and smooth experience in video.
What's the point of making a camera that much expansive when you get to have better result with lower priced camera ....
2022-3-24
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Cobani.  Thanks for the gyro data advice. we will consider it.

would u plz try 4k120fps with shutter speed 1/120 s, to see whether the issue remains?

2022-3-24
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-24 01:41
I'm sorry for your disappointment.  My immediate reaction is that you are using a shutter speed that is likely to be too low for EIS to handle in this situation.   EIS works by comparing frames, and if the shutter speed is too low, there is likely to be motion blur in the frames which messes with the frame-to-frame comparison.  As I recall it from another thread, 1/300 is a better shutter speed for EIS to work (and that's with any EIS camera).

I understand that, but THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN IN MY GOPRO 8. The rule of "double the shutter speed of the FPS" must be done to have a pleasant video. With GoPro there's no problem.
So, it's an inmature EIS.
2022-3-24
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

djiuser_06uVCiKt99Ra Posted at 3-24 04:15
My main goal for buying that camera was for for FPV and I am in the same position as you ... The main goal of filming in 30fps with a fix shutter speed is to make a natural blur that is pleasing for the eyes . Combined with the stabilisation it makes a good and smooth experience in video.
What's the point of making a camera that much expansive when you get to have better result with lower priced camera ....

It's my same think!
2022-3-24
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-24 06:36
Hi Cobani.  Thanks for the gyro data advice. we will consider it.

would u plz try 4k120fps with shutter speed 1/120 s, to see whether the issue remains?

If I record on 4K120, the shutter must be 1/240 (double the frame rate). I will try.
2022-3-24
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Did DJI ever advertise that it could be mounted to a FPV for 360 rolls? You maybe asking for something that was never advertised. If it was I apologize. I just do not remember seeing it attached to any fpv drones during launch.
2022-3-24
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

Visual Air Posted at 3-24 11:25
Did DJI ever advertise that it could be mounted to a FPV for 360 rolls? You maybe asking for something that was never advertised. If it was I apologize. I just do not remember seeing it attached to any fpv drones during launch.

ACTION CAMERA... sounds good to you?

Come on... none of the other action cameras have this problem.
2022-3-24
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Cobani Posted at 3-24 16:59

Come on... none of the other action cameras have this problem.

It is an Action Camera I absolutely get it.  Attached to FPV may not be it's forte.
Maybe it is something DJI will fix in future firmware updates.
2022-3-24
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Cobani Posted at 3-24 07:19
If I record on 4K120, the shutter must be 1/240 (double the frame rate). I will try.

if u want the motion blur(for the speed)
it is ok u set shutter 1/120secs,  u can also export into 60fps so the footage should be the same.

120fps steady is different with 60fps,  it might solve the issue.

2022-3-24
Use props
djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D
lvl.4
New Zealand

Hi Cobani,

why does the shutter have to be double the frame rate? Is this the same for any framerate?
2022-3-24
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D Posted at 3-24 23:06
Hi Cobani,

why does the shutter have to be double the frame rate? Is this the same for any framerate?

it is about 180 degree shutter rule.
https://www.xdynamics.com/blog/t ... -cinematic-video-2/

my own understanding is :
one frame to next frame, the object move to A and B with 1/fps second.
since real world object moves continuously, our eye will catch the blur of a fast moving object.

180 degree shutter speed 1/(2x fps) makes sure the "continuous" look, because
if there is a blur, this two frame object will be linked together with 1/(2xfps) exposure blur.
looks like continues.

it works for 30fps and 60fps.

for 120fps, if the final output is slowmotion, then 1/240 sec shutter is OK.

if the output is normal speed video I shall double it actually.
because 120fps is too smooth for human eye, the distance between A and B is too close to need the shutter blur to connect.And for the final output video maybe 60fps, the 1/120 sec shutter should be more suitable.

2022-3-25
Use props
djiuser_06uVCiKt99Ra
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-25 03:59
it is about 180 degree shutter rule.
https://www.xdynamics.com/blog/t ... -cinematic-video-2/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awXIFeqhXsI

so for a 2.7k or 4k video output to be able to have a good smooth blur effect with the stabilisation what would be the correct combination ? 60fps filming with shutter speed at 120 ?
2022-3-25
Use props
djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D
lvl.4
New Zealand

By asking about this, I was trying to point out to what the guy in the video says at the very end. 180 degree shutter is used to make moving things appear as in film (or what “your eyes sees in real life”), but film is played in 24/25/30 fps. If you are shooting in higher framerates and not slowing down your video to 24/25/30, the motion blur from a 180 degrees shutter won’t look “cinematic”.  Movies that have high framerate action sequences don’t need 180 degrees shutter.

TL;DR The “one over twice the framerate” rule doesn’t make much sense if your videos are in 60 or more fps when viewed.
2022-3-25
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D Posted at 3-25 12:26
By asking about this, I was trying to point out to what the guy in the video says at the very end. 180 degree shutter is used to make moving things appear as in film (or what “your eyes sees in real life”), but film is played in 24/25/30 fps. If you are shooting in higher framerates and not slowing down your video to 24/25/30, the motion blur from a 180 degrees shutter won’t look “cinematic”.  Movies that have high framerate action sequences don’t need 180 degrees shutter.

TL;DR The “one over twice the framerate” rule doesn’t make much sense if your videos are in 60 or more fps when viewed.

But when you are piloting an FPV drone, you don't know when you need or like to have slow motion or normal speed until see the final footage.

That's why we normally use 4K60 1/120. The final video it's reduced to 24/30FPS with normal speed and motion blur. BUT you have the flexibility to grab some parts of the same shot and do slowmotion at half speed.
2022-3-26
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Cobani Posted at 3-24 16:59

Come on... none of the other action cameras have this problem.

BTW Nice Rossi collection you have there.
2022-3-26
Use props
djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D
lvl.4
New Zealand

Cobani Posted at 3-26 10:43
But when you are piloting an FPV drone, you don't know when you need or like to have slow motion or normal speed until see the final footage.

That's why we normally use 4K60 1/120. The final video it's reduced to 24/30FPS with normal speed and motion blur. BUT you have the flexibility to grab some parts of the same shot and do slowmotion at half speed.

I don’t know what your software does, but if you are not slowing down your 60fps recording when converting to 30fps, you’ll have the wrong shutter speed.

Anyway, this is not that important and a bit off topic. At the end of the day, there is a bug with the EIS, and you need to be patient, because issues like that are not easy to reproduce and fix. While waiting for DJI to figure it out, I’d prioritize using settings that allow the “stabe” to work and give up on having “perfect” shutter speed. (or just use another camera if you like the ease of use and video quality better)
2022-3-26
Use props
djiuser_06uVCiKt99Ra
lvl.3
Canada

Anyone would be great enough to share what would be the best way to counter this EIS BUG ( for now ) until they fix it ?
What could be the best possible combinations of settings that could achieve a some kind of natural blur for filming our FPV video ?
Shutter speed , fps etc
It's getting a little confusing as of right now for me as I just
Want to produce good videos without having to test like 10 different combinations .

Thank you in advance .
2022-3-27
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

djiuser_06uVCiKt99Ra Posted at 3-27 03:10
Anyone would be great enough to share what would be the best way to counter this EIS BUG ( for now ) until they fix it ?
What could be the best possible combinations of settings that could achieve a some kind of natural blur for filming our FPV video ?
Shutter speed , fps etc

if u shoot in 4k120fps.
there is little chance to come across the issue.
2022-3-30
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi .Cobani
would u plz take a glance of messages I sent?

does 4k120 solve the issue in your occasion?
plz let me know your thoughts. and PM ur Dji account so that we will keep in touch for the beta firmware .
2022-3-30
Use props
djiuser_06uVCiKt99Ra
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-30 19:15
Hi .Cobani
would u plz take a glance of messages I sent?

I would be willing to try the beta firmware
2022-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules