Anyone having screen freeze on DJI fly app while using Mavic 3?
4896 25 2022-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans08f9292e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307372 ft
  • >>>
United States

Intermittently, when I try to fly my Mavic 3, the screen shown via DJI fly on my ipad is frozen, i.e. it shows a frozen picture taken the last time I started the Mavic and controller to fly.  I can take off but I can't see what my camera on the Mavic 3 is seeing and I can also take pics that are accurate even though I can't see what the camera is looking at.  The only solution I have found so far is to delete the DJI fly app from the ipad and download it again.  It then works for about two flights before freezing again.  Anyone else having this happen or have any ideas how to correct this problem?
2022-3-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please ​and can you please try to uninstall an reinstall the DJI Fly application ( https://www.dji.com/dji-fly ) to see if the issue will still persist? In addition, please sync all of your flight records before uninstalling the DJI Fly application on your mobile device for you not to loose your previous flight information. If the issue persist kindly please try using a different recommended mobile device for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.
2022-3-29
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-29 19:45
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please ​and can you please try to uninstall an reinstall the DJI Fly application ( https://www.dji.com/dji-fly ) to see if the issue will still persist? In addition, please sync all of your flight records before uninstalling the DJI Fly application on your mobile device for you not to loose your previous flight information. If the issue persist kindly please try using a different recommended mobile device for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.

He mentioned he's using an iPad. My video sometimes stutters using a 6th generation 9.7" iPad but has never done what you've described.  I don't believe mine is a recommended device but seems to usually do Ok.
2022-3-29
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8336266 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

In my case only screen freeze (more live picture freeze) in Android DJI FLY app + S22 Ultra Exynos + Mavic 3 always when object tracking is used.  All running in latest fw/sw configurations.
2022-3-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I use the iPhone 13 Pro Max and never had screen freezes, the odd app closing on its own while in flight yeah but never screen freezes.
2022-3-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Try another cable and see if that resolves your issues, I doubt it is the app. Which iPad are you using?
2022-3-29
Use props
fans08f9292e
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all for your comments!

I am using the iPad mini 4 with the current operating system of 15.3.1.  

I have trashed the DJI fly app repeatedly and downloaded it repeatedly with the same result.  
I have tried a different cable with the same result.

I will use an iPhone to see if that has any effect and report back here afterwards.  
2022-3-30
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had similar experiences that the original poster is reporting when I first purchased my M3.  It ran for a few days, but then it started behaving oddly, whereby the screen would "gray" out and freeze, indicating that there was a "video" disconnect.  But I still had control of the craft, and I was able to return.  I did not find a cause or a solution, and I was within my "return" window as I purchased locally.  I returned and exchanged it.  That unit has flown fine, and I've not had the experience repeat itself.

I don't know where you are at in any return windows, but the only solution I found was to exchange it.
2022-3-30
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Charles Adams Posted at 3-30 10:27
I had similar experiences that the original poster is reporting when I first purchased my M3.  It ran for a few days, but then it started behaving oddly, whereby the screen would "gray" out and freeze, indicating that there was a "video" disconnect.  But I still had control of the craft, and I was able to return.  I did not find a cause or a solution, and I was within my "return" window as I purchased locally.  I returned and exchanged it.  That unit has flown fine, and I've not had the experience repeat itself.

I don't know where you are at in any return windows, but the only solution I found was to exchange it.

So in your case it was a defective drone? Did you get a new RC or just a new Drone?
2022-3-30
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 3-30 11:38
So in your case it was a defective drone? Did you get a new RC or just a new Drone?

I don't know if it was a defective drone or RC.  The whole FMC was returned and replaced with a brand new FMC.  Edit Addendum:  I add that the replacement has not exhibited this issue at all.  It still functions as well (or bad, depending on your point of view) as everyone else is describing.  But THAT issue has not occurred.
2022-3-30
Use props
djiuser_VyzaIM8UGAMb
New

Ecuador

My video was freezing today with my Air 2S it keeps responding to my commands but video keeps the last image
2022-4-15
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8336266 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

djiuser_VyzaIM8UGAMb Posted at 4-15 13:54
My video was freezing today with my Air 2S it keeps responding to my commands but video keeps the last image

My is freezing as well after last updates when tracking objects (POI).
It's in configuration Mavic 3 + NC-1 + Samsung S22 Ultra Exynos.
2022-4-16
Use props
fans08f9292e
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I am updating from the original post about screen freezes.  I changed from an iPad to a an iPhone and have had no issues for any of my flights.  I will soon try to use the iPad again to see if it is a consistent problem with that device and I will post my findings here in this thread.
2022-4-16
Use props
djiuser_CgYhBqmxP83j
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1078150 ft
United States

Suren Posted at 3-29 22:26
I use the iPhone 13 Pro Max and never had screen freezes, the odd app closing on its own while in flight yeah but never screen freezes.

On the other hand I have that phone and have seen screen freezes but I’ve passed it off as signal interference.
2022-4-16
Use props
#DroneTech
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

djiuser_CgYhBqmxP83j Posted at 4-16 20:38
On the other hand I have that phone and have seen screen freezes but I’ve passed it off as signal interference.

Signal interference will give random glitches and not a complete screen freeze. I generally as a rule always buy my own cable since the original Mavic Pro days as the supplied Dji cables are of poor quality. Look at changing the cable
2022-4-17
Use props
alonk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 638238 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there,

I have a similar issue with my Mavic 3 and iPad screen freezing up on a single image. It happened once upon launch in which I landed and switched to my iPhone 12 Pro, no issues - same cable. It then happened again mid-flight with the drone quite far away which was more scary. I got it back to me, landed and again changed from the iPad to iPhone and had no issues on the second flight.

The iPad is the iPad Pro 10.5" model (second generation, launched in 2017) and I had never had any issues flying a Phantom 4 Pro with the same iPad, using the DJi Go 4 app, of course. So this iPad is about 5 years, is it really too old to usr with the Mavic 3 and the DJI Fly app? Any one here flying with a newer iPad that can attest that it's working properly?

Thank you.
2022-6-1
Use props
djiuser_VqaUH68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1022300 ft
Australia

I had this happen about 2 weeks ago after shutting down to relocate for a second flight - on FW.0600/RC-N1/iPhone Xs iOS1.6.x. Cleared it by turning the phone on and off. Thought I may have caused it by holding the drone battery power button too long in the first push of the shutdown 2x press sequence.
2022-6-1
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi Fans,

I don't have issues with Smart Controller (RC Pro) on M3C, but I had similar issue with my old iphone 6s and Air 2S standard controller. I repeatedly got an error message on screen that CPU is overloaded. Also your issue might be due to you setup too much download cache in DJI Fly Settings. If you don't have much free space on your Ipad and you have your download local cache set to 32GB (not sure if that option is selectable, but just for example), you may end up with running out of free storage space and that would cause the stuttering / freezing as well (had that). Especially since you mentioned reinstalling helps. You can try changing cache to very low number on 0 if you don't need it in Setting or you can also try cleaning up your available storage in Ipad Settings. Hope this helps. Thanks, Mike.
2022-6-1
Use props
joelp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4550213 ft
Philippines

I'm using a 9.7" iPad Pro. When I updated to version 1.6.0, I started experiencing video feed freeze whenever I do a screen recording. I never had this issue with the older iOS versions of the Fly app. I only started having this issue when I installed the 1.6.0 version of the DJI Fly app. I'm currently using 1.6.5 and the issue still persists.
2022-6-12
Use props
Tubby01
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1492858 ft
United States

djiuser_VyzaIM8UGAMb Posted at 4-15 13:54

Mine doing the same thing
2022-7-8
Use props
djiuser_ZOKWnVjEZBkX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1862664 ft
Canada

I have had the same experience with my Mavic 3, RC-N1 and IPhone 8 three times all on current firmware versions. The last time it happened I rebooted the Go Fly app and the video feed returned to normal.
2022-7-11
Use props
DrumleyPro
New

United States

I have been having the same issue with my Air 2s. Screen will freeze, go choppy, even digitally glitch out. This is more than likely NOT a result of the drone being defective, but rather limitations of my older iPhone 8 and the app being updated regularly. (I will also be trying a different cable just to try it)  A solution I found that 'seemed' to work for me (more testing is needed) was to turn OFF "Cache when recording"  The drone feeding large amounts of video data to my phone to be saved via the app seems to bog down the system. The app is already using a tremendous amount of phone processing resources. When I turned this "off" my feed was generally very smooth. Again, this may not be the end all be all fix, but it at least in my testing, seemed to work.
2022-7-11
Use props
fans08f9292e
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I am the original poster for this problem with an update.  I am having increasingly frequent video freezes that happen at various times during a flight, so the flight time or other repetitive factors don't seem to be involved.  I have dumped the DJI fly app repeatedly and this has only resulted in temporary improvements and the freezes continue to return after a few weeks.  On several occasions I have selected "return to home" and then assisted with landing when the Mavic 3 got close enough for me to see it.  I am currently using an iPhone 8 but am going to return to the iPad even though I was using it when this problem began.  

I am also having problems with selecting the small camera.  When I touch the "7" sometimes the screen does not change and my camera view is not changed and often I get a freeze as well.
2022-7-11
Use props
fans08f9292e
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

This is the original poster again - I noticed that anytime I touch the 7x to switch cameras that the screen freezes and does not show what the camera should be displaying.  I was using an iPhone 8 as a monitor when this happened.  
I have switched back to the original iPad and so far no freezes.  But, I only have two cameras available at set resolutions, i.e. main is wide angle and 7x is presumably at 7x but no in between zoom is available.
2022-7-13
Use props
Mikemike43
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2820827 ft
Canada

It just happened on my Mini 2. Using a Motorola Moto G Power (2021). DJI Go Fly app froze in flight. My Android asked me if I wanted to :close the app' or 'please wait'. Return to Home did nothing. Screen frozen. Thankfully it was right over my house and I had a visual on it. The battery was low too (circa 25%) , but using the controller I could land it with full control.
Now it had me thinking: If this happened out of visual contact, I could have lost the drone. It would have run out of battery and landed on the spot, or would it have returned to home?
If I had restarted the app would I have lost contact with the drone?
Lots of questions, and I know my Android isn't the greatest (in fact it's a p.o.s.) but I hope it never happens again.

2023-7-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mikemike43 Posted at 7-20 09:48
It just happened on my Mini 2. Using a Motorola Moto G Power (2021). DJI Go Fly app froze in flight. My Android asked me if I wanted to :close the app' or 'please wait'. Return to Home did nothing. Screen frozen. Thankfully it was right over my house and I had a visual on it. The battery was low too (circa 25%) , but using the controller I could land it with full control.
Now it had me thinking: If this happened out of visual contact, I could have lost the drone. It would have run out of battery and landed on the spot, or would it have returned to home?
If I had restarted the app would I have lost contact with the drone?

Hi there. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If the issue happens again, please clear the mobile phone cache and ensure that the mobile phone has enough storage available (10G or more is recommended). Hard restart the mobile phone. Check the App version, if the app is not the latest version, then it is recommended to update the app to the latest version. Download from the DJI official website under Downloads Center. Thank you and have a nice day.
2023-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules