Osmo Action 2 Orientation Lock Not Working?
4920 16 2022-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

Hi,

I want to film normally in landscape mode with my Osmo Action 2’s physical camera position rotated 45 degrees. The orientation lock doesn’t seem to work. I hold the camera in the normal position with the preview showing landscape, enable the orientation lock, rotate the camera 45 degrees, and the video preview changes to portrait.

I’m shooting 4k69 in HB mode.

What am I missing?

Thanks
2022-4-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Does this video help at all?

2022-4-3
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

No, it doesn’t help. That video doesn’t mention HorizonBalancing.

My issue is that in HorizonBalancing, orientation lock does nothing. BTW, I meant 90 degrees above.
2022-4-3
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

Does the orientation lock setting do what you want if HorizonBalancing is off?

Maybe, as you say, HorizonBalancing "overrides" orientation lock? DJI can say if this is the case and if it is intended or not. I'm not sure they can do anything different than turn to portrait mode for degrees larger than 45.
2022-4-3
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

fish sticks Posted at 4-3 21:55
Does the orientation lock setting do what you want if HorizonBalancing is off?

Maybe, as you say, HorizonBalancing "overrides" orientation lock? DJI can say if this is the case and if it is intended or not. I'm not sure they can do anything different than turn to portrait mode for degrees larger than 45.

I’ve tried with rocksteady and steady and I’m seeing the same. With orientation lock on or off, same behavior.
2022-4-4
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

I have the latest updates.
2022-4-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

As far as I am aware, you have to use the settings demonstrated in the video to achieve what you want.  This is a consequence of the 4:3 sensor - there are not enough pixels to get 4K from it sideways.
2022-4-4
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

There needs to be a setting where normal landscape recording can be accomplished in a vertical or horizontal stack configuration. Even smallrig designers don’t get it. Notice how the following cage is marketed in the horizontal stack position: Smallrig Cage 3661

What I'm after has nothing to do with pixels, etc. I want to shoot normally, with the resulting footage being in landscape, with the camera being mounted or held in a horizontal stack configuration.

Like this:
horizontal.jpeg
2022-4-4
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Droogles Posted at 4-4 06:44
There needs to be a setting where normal landscape recording can be accomplished in a vertical or horizontal stack configuration. Even smallrig designers don’t get it. Notice how the following cage is marketed in the horizontal stack position: Smallrig Cage 3661

What I'm after has nothing to do with pixels, etc. I want to shoot normally, with the resulting footage being in landscape, with the camera being mounted or held in a horizontal stack configuration.

The sensor is 4:3.  If you want record 16:9 while being placed horizontally, the only method is to crop 16:9 from a 4:3 sensor image... which cannot reach a 4K resolution.

If you just want to get a 16:9 video from the camera directly (at most 2.7K) no matter how the action2 is placed, then you can do this...

1. Use HorizonSteady.
2. Swipe down: Select Orientation Lock when placed vertical. Then no matter how you place the camera, vertical/horizontal, you always get a16:9 video.

Orientation lock will need to remain on and locked.

TL;DR - There's no possible way to get full 4K 16:9 video by filming horizontally.  

This is information I was given directly from DJI-ytao in the R&D group at DJI.
2022-4-4
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

Well that's disappointing. A simple setting could fix this.
2022-4-4
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Droogles Posted at 4-4 10:12

I agree.  I was a bit bummed to hear something couldn't be done for this.  I use this camera for fishing and have that Smallrig cage you linked above and I was hoping to use it as my new hat camera.

Now I'm trying to think of a creative way where I can mount the camera by cutting an opening into the brim and having half the camera below the brim and the other half above it.

Otherwise it'll probably end up being my camera that I use in front of me because I don't want to look like a unicorn if I mount this vertically on my hat.
2022-4-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Droogles Posted at 4-4 10:12

A change in the sensor pixel size cannot be accomplished by a "simple setting".
The overall picture quality difference between 2.7K and 4K is not radical, some would argue.  But YMMV.
2022-4-4
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

WICreekPaddler Posted at 4-4 11:18
I agree.  I was a bit bummed to hear something couldn't be done for this.  I use this camera for fishing and have that Smallrig cage you linked above and I was hoping to use it as my new hat camera.

Now I'm trying to think of a creative way where I can mount the camera by cutting an opening into the brim and having half the camera below the brim and the other half above it.

Yeah, they've ruined what could have been a decent action camera IMO. I will use it because of the lens, but it's awkward.
2022-4-4
Use props
Droogles
lvl.2

United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 4-4 13:15
A change in the sensor pixel size cannot be accomplished by a "simple setting".
The overall picture quality difference between 2.7K and 4K is not radical, some would argue.  But YMMV.

I forgot that the sensor is rectangular. It's basically a poor design decision to make it vertical stack IMO.
2022-4-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The vertical design was probably necessary because of the concept of magnetic connection, and the ability for the camera component to be used on its own.
2022-4-4
Use props
Itstheluufamily
lvl.1
Canada

Hey did you figure this out??
2023-3-31
Use props
Itstheluufamily
lvl.1
Canada

.  how was this person able to do it?