DJI Mini 2 Video Pixelation
4361 34 2022-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Catus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 634344 ft
United Kingdom

I have had my Mini 2 for over a year along with this video issue but only recently had time to look at it in more detail.
After about 8 minutes of flight time the video on my tablet or phone pixelates and tears. I think this may be heat related. Is it a recognised hardware/software/firmware issue? I'm struggling the find anyone on the Internet to compare this issue.

I have tried different leads from the controller to iphone/iPad including genuine Apple. The fault persists whether or not an sdcard is inserted and whether or not recording video. The recorded footage does not show pixelation or artefacts.

Still frame of pixelation bit underexposed but shows issues as described:

Mini 2 video pixelation

Mini 2 video pixelation

My gear:
iPad 8th Gen
iPhone11
DJI Mini 2: firmware: 01.03.0000 Flyapp 1.5.10 Activated 421 days ago

Many thanks

2022-4-4
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

Would you correlate the 8 minute flight time with distance?  IE - your issue occurs as the drone gets further away?  Or does it occur after 8 minutes even if the drone is feet away from the controller?
2022-4-4
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

TomKatt Posted at 4-4 06:38
Would you correlate the 8 minute flight time with distance?  IE - your issue occurs as the drone gets further away?  Or does it occur after 8 minutes even if the drone is feet away from the controller?

It was too windy today to fly high so tested just a few feet away with and without the sdcard, the results were pixelation as before when I have flown further away.
2022-4-4
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

I'm somewhat new, but using both iPhone 11 and iPad Mini 5 I have not experienced any major pixelation - only occasional very quick minor glitches or stutters at distance that seem "normal" all things considered, especially when switching between photo and video or at the end of taking a panorama shot.

I will say my Mini 2 does seem to get warm sitting idle while powered on, but does not feel concerningly warm after a flight.   Likewise, my mobile devices get a bit warm, but not "hot", but I haven't flown in warm weather yet (warmest day so far for me was about 60' F).

I've heard a few comments about the Mini's getting warm, but I don't think I've heard anything about them overheating during normal use.
2022-4-4
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply.
I’m not sure if it’s a heat issue. I have searched the web for answers to no avail.
I thought to begin with that it was interference but I’m not sure now. I might try turning off the 5ghz Occusync band to see if it’s interfering with the video transmitter.
I was wondering if there’s a DJI recall for this video issue but as my M2 is out of warranty I’m probably too late.
2022-4-4
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Help please - has anyone had this issue?
2022-4-4
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

Catus Posted at 4-4 09:03
Help please - has anyone had this issue?
I've had it happen before but not for a while.

For me, it correlated more with signal strength and interference than anything hardware related.

Changing the camera mode to photo and back to video fixed it for me.
2022-4-4
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 4-4 12:08
I've had it happen before but not for a while.

For me, it correlated more with signal strength and interference than anything hardware related.

That’s good to know. I guess it could be WiFi interference as I was in my backyard close to other houses.
2022-4-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Catus. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

2022-4-4
Use props
nOxxxx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I have it regularly on long flights. I translate this to myself as no keyframe in the video stream. Usually I switch to photo or video mode for a moment. The problem only concerns the preview, not the writing on the sd card.
2022-4-4
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-4 16:27
Hello there Catus. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thanks for your reply.
This issue has occurred in many different locations over the time since I purchased the drone. I usually fly near a beach with minimal WiFi interference and it happens there too.
Is there a recall issue with the VTX or any particular firmware or Flyapp version?
2022-4-5
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

nOxxxx Posted at 4-4 22:37
I have it regularly on long flights. I translate this to myself as no keyframe in the video stream. Usually I switch to photo or video mode for a moment. The problem only concerns the preview, not the writing on the sd card.

Thanks for your reply.
What do you believe is removing key frames? I’m guessing this affects the frame rate and video breakup.
I’m considering rolling back the firmware and the Flyapp to see if this makes a difference.Same - it does not affect the recording on the sdcard and if I switch the recording off then on it self-corrects, but it isn't great for safety.
2022-4-5
Use props
nOxxxx
Second Officer
Poland

The Ambrella H22 GPU encodes two video streams at the same time, HQ to the SD card and LQ to the smartphone screen. The keyframe is always a greater, albeit temporary, load. Under specific conditions, the GPU may reject it, if necessary, when power reserves are temporarily lacking. The artifacts of the screen happened to me under strong signal, very close, without external interference.
2022-4-5
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

nOxxxx Posted at 4-5 01:19
The Ambrella H22 GPU encodes two video streams at the same time, HQ to the SD card and LQ to the smartphone screen. The keyframe is always a greater, albeit temporary, load. Under specific conditions, the GPU may reject it, if necessary, when power reserves are temporarily lacking. The artifacts of the painting happened to me under strong signal, very close, without external interference.

Thanks for this information, your situation is pretty similar to mine. I guess there’s no fix.
I’ve had my mini 2 for just over a year so perhaps they fixed it in later hardware as there aren’t many reports of this happening to other customers.
2022-4-5
Use props
nOxxxx
Second Officer
Poland

I stopped worrying about that anymore. usually it only happens once in flight, maybe eight minutes or so, I haven't measured it. I switch the photo / video with my finger and the problem is over. I think this may be a software bug that is available to many users, but few are aware of it. We also don't know if this issue is the result of some kind of compromise that DJI engineers had to make by accepting passive cooling. The same can be with the lack of 4k60fps, which supports the Ambrella GPU, or the lack of image distortion correction for 2.7k60fps. Everything increases the power requirement, and cooling is still passive. Half the trouble in flight, cooling is good here, but the drone must also perform well in hover. These issues are related to the 3Q hardware. Maybe it is solved in the 5Q version. I do not know.
2022-4-5
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

You make a valid point about the passive cooling. Sometimes it doesn’t have this problem during motion. My recent test have been in hover as it’s been too windy here for a proper flight. It’s a good craft otherwise.
2022-4-5
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Catus Posted at 4-5 01:27
Thanks for this information, your situation is pretty similar to mine. I guess there’s no fix.
I’ve had my mini 2 for just over a year so perhaps they fixed it in later hardware as there aren’t many reports of this happening to other customers.

You make a valid point about the passive cooling. Sometimes it doesn’t have this problem during motion. My recent tests have been in hover mode as it’s been too windy here for a proper flight. It’s a good craft otherwise.
2022-4-5
Use props
cplenny
New
United States

TomKatt Posted at 4-4 07:42
I'm somewhat new, but using both iPhone 11 and iPad Mini 5 I have not experienced any major pixelation - only occasional very quick minor glitches or stutters at distance that seem "normal" all things considered, especially when switching between photo and video or at the end of taking a panorama shot.

I will say my Mini 2 does seem to get warm sitting idle while powered on, but does not feel concerningly warm after a flight.   Likewise, my mobile devices get a bit warm, but not "hot", but I haven't flown in warm weather yet (warmest day so far for me was about 60' F).

My Mini 2 gets much warmer than I like any of my batteries or electronics. I have not flown it for months, I focused on other things and kept my fingers crossed that there would be a firmware update that inspired confidence and more than anything that enabled GPS coordinate waypoints for collecting images for decent resolution 3D landscape models.
2022-4-6
Use props
djiuser_s24iOad3QIQC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275866 ft
United States

Same issue -sudden pixelation while in flight.  2 different mini2's, summer/winter, 2 different sd cards, different locations, iphone 12 mini as the screen.  SD card video perfect - NO pixelation but the cached video on the iphone is pixelated ( see below side by side pics) any idea how to fix mid flight? DJI chat has no solutions, the usual, try different sd,reset camera, clean the lens,etc etc.
2022-12-5
Use props
domin45670
lvl.4
Flight distance : 225118 ft
Poland

djiuser_s24iOad3QIQC Posted at 12-5 09:46
Same issue -sudden pixelation while in flight.  2 different mini2's, summer/winter, 2 different sd cards, different locations, iphone 12 mini as the screen.  SD card video perfect - NO pixelation but the cached video on the iphone is pixelated ( see below side by side pics) any idea[view_image][view_image][view_image] how to fix mid flight? DJI chat has no solutions, the usual, try different sd,reset camera, clean the lens,etc etc.

Hi

I created this thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=276593
and I had the same issue.

DJI asked me to check a few recomennded cellphones and there was no difference. I also checked few DJI FLY versions. This issue is only in a preview and there were no errors during fly.
Finally DJI Support asked me to send them my drone. They replaced my drone and now I have a new one. However because the weather condition (cold, rain, fog) I had only one chance to check if everything is ok. In my opinion one flight is still not enough to be 100% sure that everything is correct.

I hope that this issue is solved because as you wrote above, you checked it in two Mini 2 drones and in both of them this issue is present.

I suggest you to contact DJI Support

How to fix it temporary during flight?
Move the gimbal down and up again.
Please note that this is temporary and will not fix the issue. It will only clean your preview for some time.

2022-12-5
Use props
Racer Guy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275866 ft
United States

domin45670 Posted at 12-5 11:26
Hi

I created this thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=276593

thanks for your thoughts.  my first mini2 bought 11-21. destroyed so new one under wty from dji 11-22. pixelation with new one also. spent 30 min on dji chat support. no help. only happens rarely.
so far i heard 3 ways to fix while in flight:
1-take photo
2- turn off video recording/turn right back on
3-move gimbal up/down
2022-12-5
Use props
domin45670
lvl.4
Poland

At the bottom of this page https://www.dji.com/pl/support there is an "email" option. Please try to use that way of contact. Maybe they need more time to consider your issue.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
2022-12-5
Use props
djiuser_De15LUQFWumt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2164547 ft
United States

Hi... I also have a pixelisation problem. It start since I change my Samsung Galaxy A52 S 5G, with Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (SM-X200). It start to Pixelate few seconds after start and escalating as dron flying, until freezing some part of screen. When I put recording off and on, it clearing screen but only for couple of seconds, than start again. I'm wondering is it possible that aluminium back of tablet interfering somehow with antenna. Before starting to fly, when camera is on and drone is still on table, everything is perfectly clerar.
2022-12-24
Use props
domin45670
lvl.4
Poland

djiuser_De15LUQFWumt Posted at 12-24 03:02
Hi... I also have a pixelisation problem. It start since I change my Samsung Galaxy A52 S 5G, with Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (SM-X200). It start to Pixelate few seconds after start and escalating as dron flying, until freezing some part of screen. When I put recording off and on, it clearing screen but only for couple of seconds, than start again. I'm wondering is it possible that aluminium back of tablet interfering somehow with antenna. Before starting to fly, when camera is on and drone is still on table, everything is perfectly clerar.

If you push "Fn" button and the gimball will turn down and up again, then the screen will be clear again. Unfortunately it helps only for some short time.
I checked few different phones for which matches different cables. I checked also few different DJI Fly versions.

I suggest you to test again on your phone. If this issue still be present, then you should send a ticket to DJI Support.
As I mentioned above, I had the same issue and I still have a warranty for my drone. DJI Support decided to replace my drone because of that issue. But before that they asked me to check it on one of the recommended phone.
2022-12-24
Use props
djiuser_xeQbOo9scWJ9
lvl.1

United States

domin45670 Posted at 12-24 09:04
If you push "Fn" button and the gimball will turn down and up again, then the screen will be clear again. Unfortunately it helps only for some short time.
I checked few different phones for which matches different cables. I checked also few different DJI Fly versions.

Thank you for your answer... but this tablet I'm using is on recomended list on Phantom Help page. So, thats mean that someone tried it and it worked without issues... I suppose
2022-12-25
Use props
djiuser_De15LUQFWumt
lvl.3
United States

I will try with my phone, but I am more then sure it will work properly...which mean, Samsung Galaxy TAB A8 (2022) is not compatible with dji fly app. If so, why is on recommended list on Phantom Help page and what is a purpose of such list in that case. When I decide to switch phone with tablet (because of much better view during flight), I knew that not all of tabs on market are compatible, so I looked for recommended one to buy...unfortunately I was tricked, so I recommend if someone else want to do something like this, to be very careful and if there is a possibilty, first try the product. Do not belive on  so called "recomendation list".
2022-12-25
Use props
djiuser_De15LUQFWumt
lvl.3
United States

As I said.... I just try with my phone Samsung Galaxy A52 S and everything is normal without any traces of pixelisation. Conclusion: Recomended tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (2022) is not really recomended. I will try with silicone back cover just to eliminate eventually interference between tab alu back and antenna, but I am not optimist about that.
2022-12-25
Use props
domin45670
lvl.4
Poland

Would it be possible to upload the preview footage that contains pixelation on the youtube?
I suggest you to fly a little bit more using your phone to be 100% sure that this issue is only on the tablet. My pixelation issue sometimes was not present even when I flew all 3 batteries. Sometimes it happened on a 2nd battery and sometimes after 10 minutes of flight on the first battery. It was very annoying and there was no regularity so it was very difficult and time consuming while testing different phones or another version of DJI Fly application.
2022-12-25
Use props
dewitg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700600 ft
Spain

I had this trouble after minute 20 video, flighting at less than 20 meters distance. I've never did videos larger and was not repeated pixelation
2022-12-25
Use props
djiuser_De15LUQFWumt
lvl.3
United States

domin45670 Posted at 12-25 11:25
Would it be possible to upload the preview footage that contains pixelation on the youtube?
I suggest you to fly a little bit more using your phone to be 100% sure that this issue is only on the tablet. My pixelation issue sometimes was not present even when I flew all 3 batteries. Sometimes it happened on a 2nd battery and sometimes after 10 minutes of flight on the first battery. It was very annoying and there was no regularity so it was very difficult and time consuming while testing different phones or another version of DJI Fly application.

I used mentioned phone sice I have  bought the drone and have over 200 km with it ... never ever any problem ocured.Tablet is in use only 2 or 3 times and I know 100% that pixeisation is ocuring only with tablet...why, I dont understand yet, but it could be something with signal receiving because it happening when dron is flying away, not when it's close to remote.
2022-12-25
Use props
djiuser_De15LUQFWumt
lvl.3
United States

Newest report...Pixelisation occurs only when recording is activated. When just flying without recording, it occures sometimes in very small ammount, so small it is dificult to notice and somtimes everything is clear . But when I push the record button, party is begeneng.
2023-1-6
Use props
djiuser_De15LUQFWumt
lvl.3
North Macedonia

Hi, after a bit of research and playing with my mini 2 and Samsung TAB A8, concerning pixelation problems,  I discovered that my camera was set on 2,7K and 60FPS. When I changed FPS number to 30, everything was normal - there was no pixelation anymore at any resolution (4K, 1080 or 2,7K). The tablet has no capabilities to handle more than 30 FPS, and that is the main problem, I think. But this needs to be checked again on a longer flight and different scenarios to be sure that problem is just in FPS number.
2023-1-12
Use props
domin45670
lvl.4
Poland

Could you please download both preview videos from your tablet and compare it to check if these footages have the same or different resolution and fps. In my opinion it would be a little bit odd if these preview footages would be different, but let's check it.
2023-1-12
Use props
djiuser_De15LUQFWumt
lvl.3
United States

All preview (cash) videos are displayed in the same resolution and fpv - 1280 x 720 with 30 fps regardless of how you set camera settings. But a difference in pixelation is visible. Anyhow, these recordings are made in my living room, and are very short (1 or 2 min.), so they are not valid evidence of my theory yet. These days I will make a bit longer outside recording, depending on weather conditions ( it's raining now) in all resolutions as well as diferent fps, and I will post it here...then we'll see what's happening exactly.
2023-1-12
Use props
djiuser_De15LUQFWumt
lvl.3
United States

I have made a number of flights these days and pixelation is definitely emerging only with recording in 2,7K res. with 60, 50 or 48 FPS as well as 1080K with the same FPS. Some pixeling is noticed in 2,7K with 30 FPS, but in a short duration and small amount.The display is clear in every other camera setting (1080 with 30 FPS, 4K with 30 FPS and 2,7K with 30 or less FPS)
So, after a more detailed inspection of ,, the pixelation case" on my mini 2, paired with Samsung Galaxy Tab A8, (checking on the net about video processing and computing component with the most impact on it), some conclusions emerged:
1. it's not only the processor need to be capacitive (because my tab has a decent processor quite enough for drone usage - Octa-core 2x2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6x2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
2. It's not only the minimum resolution needed (my tab has decent resolution also - 1200 x 1920 pixels.
3. The main thing by me ( of course upper two conditions are necessary) is the unit's GPU (graphic card or display adapter) of the unit. My Samsung has Mali G52 MP2, which is insufficient for more demanding processing, such as using higher FPS when recording.
So, the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 is a nice tablet for what is intended but for drone usage.. hm.
The advantage of Apple ipads (from 3-th or 4-th gen. onwards is in their processors of course, but mainly in their GPUs which are much better than these one, builded in my Samsung.
And everything above should have some logic if I didn’t try a Maven Lite app today…
…and EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT…every setting worked flawlessly without any trace of pixelation or any other problem… So, I don’t know what to say, is the tablet issue, or is the DJI app having trouble?
2023-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules