IMU and Compass redundancy?
3031 31 2022-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vantage_DS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5991309 ft
United Kingdom

I'm having a hard time finding this out via google, so thought best to just ask!

Does the Mavic 3 have dual IMU and dual compass for redundancy?

Thanks in advance!
2022-4-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I don't think it does.
2022-4-5
Use props
Samakopita
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-4-5
Use props
Vantage_DS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5991309 ft
United Kingdom

I should have expected that!

I can't believe this info is so hard to find though
2022-4-5
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

Samakopita Posted at 4-5 11:17
And clearly no GPS redundancy. Only half a GPS unit.

Exactly
The issue with GPS is a big one… I suspect it is hardware issue.
2022-4-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And clearly no GPS redundancy. Only half a GPS unit.

Ouch,
2022-4-6
Use props
StanMaster
Banned
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-4-6
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

**** The author has been banned or deleted automatically shield ****

OMG, User banned??
For what?
2022-4-6
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yaros1 Posted at 4-6 05:09
OMG, User banned??
For what?

Where have you been? Lol
2022-4-6
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Flormo2002 Posted at 4-6 05:16
Where have you been? Lol

What do you mean?
2022-4-6
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

IMU module have 4 gyroscopes from which only one is in use so according to my opinion there is some kind of redundancy. Unfortunately since mavic air if I remember correctly they are using only 1 compass instead of two like on old Mavic Pro. There were no dual compass configurations after Mavic Pro I think.
2022-4-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 4-6 05:09
OMG, User banned?? For what?

trolling, spam, offensive content, off topic........take your choice.
2022-4-6
Use props
Vtcats
lvl.4
Flight distance : 199518 ft
United States

I tried to create a new thread, but for some reason it’s not showing up in the forum, so given its a “similar” question to this topic, I thought I’d ask here.

What’s the consensus for calibrating the compass and/or IMU:

1st) upon receiving it new and before first flight
2nd) upon traveling across the country?

OR, only when prompted?

Years ago with the original Mavic Pro, I was prompted for comoass calibration before my first flight (which I did), and never was promoted again. And never was promoted an IMU calibration
2022-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Vtcats Posted at 5-4 10:04
I tried to create a new thread, but for some reason it’s not showing up in the forum, so given its a “similar” question to this topic, I thought I’d ask here.

There is no need to ever calibrate compass, unless prompted to, and this will almost never happen . You may get a prompt to move or calibrate, always move and try again.

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to. Your compass will always prompt to calibrate if it needs it .

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

4/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red/blue triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,
2022-5-4
Use props
Vtcats
lvl.4
Flight distance : 199518 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-4 10:41
There is no need to ever calibrate compass, unless prompted to, and this will almost never happen . You may get a prompt to move or calibrate, always move and try again.

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

Good info thanks. I USED to do that way back with my Mavic pro, but have never had an issue so Ive become somewhat lazy (now that it’s not worth much anymore). Although I  do check the compass is green every time. But glad you’ve written out this process again as it very specific to see if any issues and I won’t feel under the gun as much with so much more flight time compared to the MP.
2022-5-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Vtcats Posted at 5-4 10:04

OR, only when prompted?

In my experience, there is no need to calibrate drone compass, unless system calls for compass calibration or you notice drone's compass heading is off from drone's true heading.
** Adding following point made by Labroide: Move to another area and see if system still calls for compass calibration or drone's compass heading is off.

In such possible interference cases, I would suggest turning drone off, moving to new takeoff point, and turning drone on while it is in air.  Thus putting at least 1-meter distance between drone and possible buried source of magnetic interference (like hidden metal piping or burried trash with metal).

However, DJI has in passed stated: "First, when flying at a location father than 10 km away from the last  flight location. Second, the drone hasn't been flown  for more than one  month. Third, a compass interference warning appears in the DJI Go 4  application, and the warning persist after changing location."

With that said, you can calibrate drone's compass (or compasses) till cows come home and it won't hurt anything or improve over 1st compass calibration - so long as you do compass calibration correctly.   DJI's manual says "Only calibrate compass when"; but as noted above there are execptions.

One critical aspect of proper compass calibration is making sure drone is well away from (I believe DJI has recommended > 10-meters) and not being effected by stray sources of magnetic fields.  Make sure when calibrating drone's compass you have nothing on you which could produce magnetic field interference, cellphone in hand, ferrous metal ring or watch, etc.  Only magnetic field source you want, is the Earth's.

2022-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Vtcats Posted at 5-4 11:34
Good info thanks. I USED to do that way back with my Mavic pro, but have never had an issue so Ive become somewhat lazy (now that it’s not worth much anymore). Although I  do check the compass is green every time. But glad you’ve written out this process again as it very specific to see if any issues and I won’t feel under the gun as much with so much more flight time compared to the MP.

Compass warnings and old myths are just something of the past. I have flown 14 dji craft and I think I calibrated 3/4 times, but never once in the last 3 years and I have flown a lot in many different countries and different locations. And while you’re free to calibrate at anytime it will never improve a good compass.
2022-5-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-4 12:06

there is no need to calibrate drone compass, unless system calls for compass calibration or you notice drone's compass heading is off from drone's true heading.

Even in those situations, there will almost never be a need to recalibrate anything.
When you think the drone is asking for compass calibration, it's >99% of the time warning of a problem in the area and you should just move away from the problem.
In your second example, it's the same thing ... just move away from what caused the drflection of teh compass and start again.
2022-5-4
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 5-4 16:41
there is no need to calibrate drone compass, unless system calls for compass calibration or you notice drone's compass heading is off from drone's true heading.

Even in those situations, there will almost never be a need to recalibrate anything.

Was it you that said except for the Mini 1?  That drone asks for calibration almost every single time
2022-5-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bussty Posted at 5-4 19:09
Was it you that said except for the Mini 1?  That drone asks for calibration almost every single time

Not me ... I've never suggested that
2022-5-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-4 16:41

I would agree.  Usually it takes only moving to another location.   Not always.

In moving to new location; I would take step of powering drone off before moving**.  Then, moving near new takeoff point.  
While holding drone in air, powering drone up like you would for hand-launch.   Then placing drone on ground at new takeoff point.  
Finally check for any magnetic field interference.

** I have seen problems with drone detecting magnetic field interference when it is powered up in field of interference and moved to new location.  Drone seems to be de-sensitized to deviations or drone continues to hold corrections which no longer apply.
2022-5-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

You may have a drone with defective compass system.  I used to own a Mavic Pro which would almost always on first flight of day call for compass calibration.

I could move drone 10-feet to 100-feet several times, and drone still would insist compass needed calibration.   Only way to stop getting messages for that day was to do a compass calibration.

Drone insisting on re-re-re-re-re-compass calibrations got so bad, I started ignoring the messages.  Drone was finally repaired or replaced, and that was end of calls for compass re-calibrations.

You may also be:
1) flying from area(s) with magnetic field interferences

2) not doing compass calibration correctly

2022-5-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-4 19:43
I would agree.  Usually it takes only moving to another location.   Not always.

In moving to new location; I would take step of powering drone off before moving**.  Then, moving near new takeoff point.  

That makes no sense.
It's not consistent with the way the compass sensor works and what calibration actually does.
2022-5-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-4 20:21
That makes no sense.
It's not consistent with the way the compass sensor works and what calibration actually does.

Then what did you mean by following?

"Even in those situations, there will almost never be a need to recalibrate anything.
When you think the drone is asking for compass calibration, it's >99% of the time warning of a problem in the area and you should just move away from the problem."
2022-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

There was a drone the air1 that continually asked for calibration. But that was a problem with the drone almost all users did not have this problem.

There have over the years been conflicting notes in different manuals that made no sense and certainly no explanations came with the ridiculous information . So many myths appeared and it seems they are still here today. But the very best advice is there is no need to calibrate your compass unless prompted to or move to another location and carefully watching the small triangle and its heading will insure your compass is on the right heading.
2022-5-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-4 21:00
Then what did you mean by following?

"Even in those situations, there will almost never be a need to recalibrate anything.

I meant that the only time you should need to recalibrate the compass is if you modify or rebuild the drone.

If you get a message that you think is suggesting you recalibrate, it probably isn't.
Power off, move the drone and try starting again somewhere else.
Recalibrating the compass isn't needed when the problem is the launch spot, not the drone.
2022-5-4
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 5-4 23:06
There was a drone the air1 that continually asked for calibration. But that was a problem with the drone almost all users did not have this problem.

There have over the years been conflicting notes in different manuals that made no sense and certainly no explanations came with the ridiculous information . So many myths appeared and it seems they are still here today. But the very best advice is there is no need to calibrate your compass unless prompted to or move to another location and carefully watching the small triangle and its heading will insure your compass is on the right heading.

Yeah the Mini 1 asks a lot. No difference hand launching or on a flat non-metal surface, especially if you change location. Has done it from day one. Not a biggie there is usually no one around when I do the dance :-)  
2022-5-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bussty Posted at 5-5 03:31
Yeah the Mini 1 asks a lot. No difference hand launching or on a flat non-metal surface, especially if you change location. Has done it from day one. Not a biggie there is usually no one around when I do the dance :-)

There is nothing at all about changing location that has any effect on the compass.
What happens if you just ignore the message and fly?
2022-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-4 23:26
I meant that the only time you should need to recalibrate the compass is if you modify or rebuild the drone.

If you get a message that you think is suggesting you recalibrate, it probably isn't.

Recalibrating the compass isn't needed when the problem is the launch spot, not the drone.  

Totally agree.  

(I misunderstood your previous reply.)

2022-5-5
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 5-5 04:57
There is nothing at all about changing location that has any effect on the compass.

Didn't know you could!  I'll try....
2022-5-6
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 5-5 04:57
There is nothing at all about changing location that has any effect on the compass.

Typical! Launched it several times today and no sign of Compass Calibration Warning. I guarantee if  I drive 20mins down the road and try it will prompt. Will try again....
2022-5-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bussty Posted at 5-6 22:26
Typical! Launched it several times today and no sign of Compass Calibration Warning. I guarantee if  I drive 20mins down the road and try it will prompt. Will try again....

If it does, it's a false alarm.
There is nothing at all about driving 20 minutes away or 2000 miles away that will have any effect on your compass calibration.
2022-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules