Camera setting 16/9 choice has disappeared?
365 4 2022-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SR 71
lvl.1
United States

Good afternoon everyone!

I was in my basement today updating the latest software upgrade and decided to check out my camera. I've always taken photos in the 16/9 mode but today, that choice ws unavailable for me. The only choice I have now is the 4/3 mode (and I noticed this BEFORE the sortware upgrade). After the upgrade, 16/9 is still missing.

Do any of you have any input on this? Worst case scenario, I guess I can just delete the app and re-install it but if there is a better way I am open for it! :-)

Cheers!

Pat
2022-4-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've always taken photos in the 16/9 mode but today, that choice ws unavailable for me. The only choice I have now is the 4/3 mode (and I noticed this BEFORE the software upgrade). After the upgrade, 16/9 is still missing.

The Mavic Air 2 specs only show one aspect ratio (4:3) for stills.
You'd have to go to the Phantom series to have different aspect ratios.
Check an old original image file and see if it really was 16:9.

But why would you want to shoot 16:9 anyway?
It's just the full 4:3 with the top and bottom cut off.
2022-4-14
Use props
SR 71
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-14 15:42
I've always taken photos in the 16/9 mode but today, that choice ws unavailable for me. The only choice I have now is the 4/3 mode (and I noticed this BEFORE the software upgrade). After the upgrade, 16/9 is still missing.

The Mavic Air 2 specs only show one aspect ratio (4:3) for stills.

Thanks you for your reply.

When I got the MavAir2 about 18 months ago, and when I was setting up the cam, I had 2 choices, 16/9 and 4/3. I shot a half dozen in each mode and I just personally preferred what the 16/9 looked like. I do run everything I shoot (with the Mav and my DSLRs) through Lightroom to tie them a final tweak, if needed.

Even though you said the Mav Air 2 specs only show one aspect ratio available, it was definitely available on my Mav until yesterday.

One thing I did yesterday which I'd never had to do before was to re-format the SD card I use in the Mav.  I had a job a week earlier where most of the pics I take I do with handheld cameras, but this particular evening students were going up 100 feet in a ladder truck bucket so I put the DSLR down and launched the MA2 to get some "unique" shots.

I knew there was a slight problem with exposures because many shots with strong sunlight in them were washed out while those in shadow were acceptable but I was able to modify them well enough to be acceptable to use. Anyway, I reformatted the SD card then re-inserted it yesterday....and whatever was causing the washouts is now gone and my cam is "back to normal" now other than the 16/9 choice is no longer there. All other parameters I use in the camera settings were the same (for the overexposed photos-I changed nothing that evening).

Sorry for the long explanation...but I thought it would give you a better ida of what's going on.

Maybe having the 16/9 was a "glitch' in the original software. Heck, I don't know, but after updating it that choice now is definitely gone.

Again, thanks!

2022-4-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SR 71 Posted at 4-14 18:26
Thanks you for your reply.

When I got the MavAir2 about 18 months ago, and when I was setting up the cam, I had 2 choices, 16/9 and 4/3. I shot a half dozen in each mode and I just personally preferred what the 16/9 looked like. I do run everything I shoot (with the Mav and my DSLRs) through Lightroom to tie them a final tweak, if needed.

I don't have an Air 2 to check with.
But sionce 16:9 is just a cropped version of the larger 4:3 image, you can always crop to 16:9 (or any other aspect ratio you want).
It should make sense to shoot 4:3 and preserve your cropping options, rather than give them away before even shooting?

For the overexposure issue, formatting the card won't make any difference, the cause must have been something else.
If you can post a full-size overexposed original jpg from the sd card, the metadata might give a clue to the cause.
You might have to upload to dropbox, GoogleDrive etc as the forum shrinks images that are too big and loses the metadata.
2022-4-14
Use props
SR 71
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-14 19:05
I don't have an Air 2 to check with.
But sionce 16:9 is just a cropped version of the larger 4:3 image, you can always crop to 16:9 (or any other aspect ratio you want).
It should make sense to shoot 4:3 and preserve your cropping options, rather than give them away before even shooting?

Well, I guess now I'll just have to shoot pics in 4:3 since I don't have the option of 16:9 anymore.

This weekend the weather is supposed to be absolutely crappy so I'll pop some recent photos into LightRoom or Photoshop and take a closer look at the metadata.

Again, I thank you for your help with this :-)
2022-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules