Crash with mini 2 after firmware update v1.04.0000
2124 15 2022-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fil007
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156483 ft
Cyprus

One thing is clear, whether it is due to firmware or hardware failure ... This is a valid warranty. The drone just managed to record HP before takeoff ... there with 12 locked satellites and GPS level 4 of the best of 5 (HP saves only when GPSLevel reaches 4)

But in 71 seconds in flight, the GPS problem started ... their drone was approx. Height of 140 feet (so there's no way to protect the sky for the GPS chip ... and rise later with the same problem).

GPS issues then escalated with a few shorter dips to 0 in GPSLevel and longer periods in which the drone goes into full ATTI mode (no horizontal hold, wind-free and no automatic stop when the rods are released)

It ended quite a bit with a few interruptions that triggered a fault-tolerant RTH ... but the GPS problems continued and eventually without a battery, and the low-battery drone automatically landed.

Blue graphics = GPSLevel (0 worst, 5 best ... anything under 4 is considered schematic)Red graphics = Number of locked satellites
Black graphics = Height above HP
Purple = Battery percentage
Blue background = normal GPS mode
Yellow background = ATTI mode
Pink background at the end (right) = Forced automatic landing with low battery
White stripes where no graphics are drawn = drone-RC disconnects

And this is what is seen in the flow of messages in the diary, "GPS Position Mismatch" just goes on and on ...

The drone obeyed the command inputs of the stick quite well ... but the poor and periodic holding in a horizontal position confused the OP ... for example, during the yellow marked path under the drone it was carried mainly by the wind, while the OP occasionally did some confusing deviations and elevator entrances. Eventually, this led to the loss of connection and the reliable RTH joined for the first time.

Please review the flights and read the flight details! I apply the flight registers of the firmware 31.3.2022 v1.04.0000, as well as the flight data of the firmware 8.3.2022 v01.03.0000, to compare that I fly the same route with the old firmware, I had no problems.
31.03.2022  08.03.2022  

And this is the detailed record of the flight recorded in the sd card, which is encrypted by DJI and only they can read it fc_log.log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... PC/view?usp=sharing

I am convinced that one thing is very clear, whether it is due to firmware or hardware failure - THIS IS A VALID WARRANTY AND I SHOULD NOT USE DJI Care for this.
Thanks. ILIYA YOTSOV

2022-4-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Fil007. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2 and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Mini 2, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-4-16
Use props
Fil007
lvl.2
Cyprus

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-16 02:28
Hello there Fil007. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2 and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Mini 2, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

I personally have not been in contact with DJI.
I just took it to the store where I bought it and they told me they would send it and take care of it.
A week later they called me from the store and said that DJI told them that the repair cost me 305 euros because it is not covered by the warranty, because the drone hit and fell into the water. If I want I can use DJI Care, I will have to pay 95 euros and they will send me a new one.
I don't want to use DJI Care because the drone didn't crash, but because of a loss of GPS signal and it just went crazy and as a result it deviated from me and its battery ran out while I was trying to get it back, so I crashed into the water , and there was no blow and therefore fell! The store told me to write them an email with a detailed description of my case and my claims and send it to them, and they will forward it to DJI. That's what I did and now I'm waiting for an answer.
Please look at the flights and tell me if this problem is not covered by the warranty.
2022-4-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That file is no use to other members here.
Please post the .txt file from your phone or tablet and we might be able to see what happened.

Here are some instructions to help you find the file.

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

ps .. the issue won't be a result of the firmware update.

2022-4-16
Use props
Fil007
lvl.2
Cyprus

Labroides Публикувано в 4-16 03:26
Този файл не е полезен за други членове тук.
Моля, публикувайте .txt файла от телефона или таблета си и може да успеем да видим какво се е случило.

Това е записът от 31.03.2022 г. Firmware v1.04.0000

И това е записът от 08.03.2022 Firmware  v1.03.0000

08.03.2022г

2022-4-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wasn't this flight reviewed over on MavicPilots 06/04/2022 https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... 24357/#post-1406940
If so I am just wondering why you are posting here as well, is it to bring it to the attention of DJI staff?

Edit, thinking about it, I suppose 2nd opinions don't hurt and maybe I should have kept my mouth shut so that any 2nd opinions are 'unbiased' but many people use or browse both boards/forums so I would think that there is a fair chance the log wizrds here have already seen it.

2022-4-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12566335 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-16 04:44
Wasn't this flight reviewed over on MavicPilots 06/04/2022 https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... 24357/#post-1406940
If so I am just wondering why you are posting here as well, is it to bring it to the attention of DJI staff?

Lots of errors...wow

Interesting to see how long it did hover above the ground at 1,5 meters with zero % batt level.

cheers
JJB
2022-4-16
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

JJB* Posted at 4-16 04:56
Lots of errors...wow

Interesting to see how long it did hover above the ground at 1,5 meters with zero % batt level.

Zero % batt level is just the software's description of what it has been programmed to report, not the actual charge level (although it is most probably a small discrepancy).
2022-4-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Fil007 Posted at 4-16 03:38
Това е записът от 31.03.2022 г. Firmware v1.04.0000

You had a genuine problem with GPS, with the number of satellites falling to low numbers or zero several times through the flight.
This caused the drone to fly in atti mode at times and gave some false distance and speed data.

I can't see anywhere in the data that the drone "went crazy".
It maintained altitude and was controllable at all times and you flew out and back in different directions at maximum speed.

From 18:48.7 you left the drone hovering 178 metres from home.
Toward the end of the flight, you relied on RTH to bring the drone back, but RTH was unable to bring it back when GPS dropped out again at 19:26.9
When the battery reached 7% (critical low battery) the drone started autolanding from 71 metres up.
You didn't start to bring the drone closer until 19:45.8.
But left it hovering again from 19:57.6.

This is not something caused by a firmware update.
If it was you'd expect to find a large number of other flyers having a similar problem ... but this isn't happening.

Yes, you had a problem with GPS dropping in and out.
But the drone was still controllable so you should have been able to bring it in safely.

If it was mine, I'd do some testing with a few flights in a safe area to see if it was a one-off issue or something that happens again, before deciding whether the drone needs to be returned for repair.
2022-4-16
Use props
Fil007
lvl.2
Cyprus

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-16 04:44
Wasn't this flight reviewed over on MavicPilots 06/04/2022 https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... 24357/#post-1406940

Yes exactly. I put it here too, hoping someone would see it DJI. The attached photos are from the people who analyzed the fields.
2022-4-16
Use props
Fil007
lvl.2
Cyprus

Labroides Posted at 4-16 05:17
You had a genuine problem with GPS, with the number of satellites falling to low numbers or zero several times through the flight.
This caused the drone to fly in atti mode at times and gave some false distance and speed data.

After the accident, the drone did not work to make a test flight.Before that day I had at least 4 days of drone flights and there were no problems. Only the one in flight got something wrong. This is the first time this has happened to me, and I've tried my best to get it to me,but several times I lost touch with him or he disobeyed the commands,which further confused me, because the battery was running out and I was trying to at least bring it closer to me so as not to lose it forever.
2022-4-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Fil007 Posted at 4-16 05:32
After the accident, the drone did not work to make a test flight.Before that day I had at least 4 days of drone flights and there were no problems. Only the one in flight got something wrong. This is the first time this has happened to me, and I've tried my best to get it to me,but several times I lost touch with him or he disobeyed the commands,which further confused me, because the battery was running out and I was trying to at least bring it closer to me so as not to lose it forever.

Hi,

It is really amazing how the GPS recorded positions are so far from each other in tenth of seconds,
HP did not change, so must be difficult to steer it back using the the compass in the fly app.

See my chart of your flight.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2022-4-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

12 GPS locked is quite low for a mini 2, it's normally around 18 - 20 for mine, then I go. But clearly there is something wrong with the GPS, regardless of anything else, there was an underlying issue. As pointed out though, you could have got it home had you flown it manually and not relied on the RTH. Then again, if you can't rely on the RTH (a safety feature of the drone I might add) because of the GPS  then there should be cause for a warranty claim. Home point was recorded so no negligence there, its not really your fault the GPS failed thus causing the RTH to malfunction.

Tough call, it's swings and roundabouts (English saying) on one hand a component failed but on the other hand you could have manually flown it back home

My comments are based on other members replies I have not looked at the flightlog and to be fair, you can't get much better than Labroides and JJB* so I probably couldn't bring any more to the table, I may have a look just out of curiosity in the morning.

As a side note, you should have dealt with DJI direct but also came to the forum in the 1st instance so that you are armed with some knowledge prior to contacting support, perhaps next time, if there is one....
2022-4-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, me again, having looked into this now i can see that there was no fault on DJI's part nor yours perse BUT had you looked into Cyprus Safe Airspace you would have come across this

Source: Cyprus
Reference: Notam LCEN N0068/18
Issued: 22-Mar-18, valid until: Ongoing
Plain English: GPS Outages have been reported in the LCEN/Ercan Advisory Airspace.
RECENTLY, GPS SIGNAL INTERRUPTIONS HAVE BEEN REPORTED BY THE PILOTS OF THE AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN SOME PARTS OF ERCAN ADVISORY AIRSPACE. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS OPERATING WITHIN ERCAN ADVISORY AIRSPACE ARE ADVISED TO BE CAUTIONS ABOUT GPS OUTAGES.

https://safeairspace.net/cyprus/
Also found this

GPS Disruptions
The region is also notorious for reports of GPS jamming and spoofing due to its proximity to multiple conflict zones. This can lead to malfunctions of navigation systems which may cause problems as airways in the Nicosia FIR are RNP 5. Let ATC know if you are having issues. Our recent article may also be worth a read.

https://ops.group/blog/cyprus-risks-in-the-nicosia-fir/

So whilst not technically your fault, i would say it really is as you should have looked into NOTAMS (Notice To Airmans)
This is also why it might be ok to fly one day, it may not be ok on another, If you have low Sats locked in for the recorded homepoint e,g, 12, then you may see this issue again.
2022-4-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 4-17 20:01
Hi, me again, having looked into this now i can see that there was no fault on DJI's part nor yours perse BUT had you looked into Cyprus Safe Airspace you would have come across this

Source: Cyprus

Good find Bashy !
2022-4-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 4-18 01:21
Good find Bashy !

Thank you