Were did DJI mimo go?
4220 18 2022-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

Decided to test my Pocket 2 again on my Samsung Smartphone (worked previously).

The App is no longer available in the Google Play Store.

My Samsung has been upgraded to Android 12.

Que pasa?

And... so soon the Pocket 2 becoming obsolete?
2022-4-20
Use props
Gawain
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The one in the Google Play store hasn't been updated for years. The most up to date version of DJI Mimo is here:
https://www.dji.com/uk/mobile/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo
2022-4-20
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

As Gawain said before, it has to be loaded from DJI's own website nowadays. Not sure why it was removed from Google Play Store.

Luckily, it can be used as a stand-alone device after activation (though unfortunately some functions still require a compatible phone or tablet).
2022-4-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. You may download the DJI Mimo app straight to our website, you may access the link below so you will be redirected to our website. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your valued support.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo
2022-4-20
Use props
dji.user54235
New

Hungary

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-20 17:46
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. You may download the DJI Mimo app straight to our website, you may access the link below so you will be redirected to our website. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your valued support.

Why was the app taken down from the official app store? It's never been communicated to the users. I see there are plenty of other DJI apps available in play store so it's not about DJI being banned.

Sideloading an apk is against the recommendations of both phone manufacturers and google, as the source code bypasses security and quality check. I'm very reluctant to install an apk on my phone that has all my personal data. Therefore I'm still using the mimo app and am rather disappointed with the current situation. Any chance you restore the mimo app in the near future?
2022-4-23
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Mimo and DJI Fly is banned on google play store since they think China is spying on us
Maybe they are hehe
2022-4-23
Use props
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

johansenfoto Posted at 4-23 15:24
DJI Mimo and DJI Fly is banned on google play store since they think China is spying on us
Maybe they are hehe

That does not explain, that the Apps are available AND maintained in the Apple App Store:

DJI Fly latest version 1.5.10 released two months ago.
DJI mimo latest version 1.7.15 released three weeks ago

So, is DJI cutting their losses, abandoning the Android platform, or just saving on developing costs by releasing their code into the unsuspecting world, without any “checks and balances”. Google Play checks prior to release is no Gold standard, but what security and quality standards do you get, when entering the dubious area of own apk-installation (difficult or not).

In short: DJI has some explaining to do, in my view.

Regards
2022-4-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

kfh Posted at 4-24 00:06
That does not explain, that the Apps are available AND maintained in the Apple App Store:

DJI Fly latest version 1.5.10 released two months ago.

Hi, there. The update channels for DJI apps have been adjusted due to Google Play technical adjustments. Please get the latest version of the app through DJI’s official website. User experience, functions, and privacy protections of apps installed through DJI’s official website are still the same as before, so please feel free to use them. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-4-24
Use props
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-24 00:35
Hi, there. The update channels for DJI apps have been adjusted due to Google Play technical adjustments. Please get the latest version of the app through DJI’s official website. User experience, functions, and privacy protections of apps installed through DJI’s official website are still the same as before, so please feel free to use them. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Forget it. I’m not installing any Android smartphone app from anywhere  in the world, without Google at least having a peak on the quality and safety of the software.

DJI has not been very supportive of updating firmware for their own Pocket 2 (there’s been lots of opportunity since the product was introduced); why should I suddenly start trusting DJI to a far more serious degree by using direct apk installed apps?

It’s not because DJI is a Chinese Company. It’s because I do not trust DJI anymore (and especially not when installed on Android, where “crossborder traffic” is far less restricted, than on an iPhone).

I’ll have to forget using DJI, it seems.
2022-4-24
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

kfh Posted at 4-24 00:44
Forget it. I’m not installing any Android smartphone app from anywhere  in the world, without Google at least having a peak on the quality and safety of the software.

DJI has not been very supportive of updating firmware for their own Pocket 2 (there’s been lots of opportunity since the product was introduced); why should I suddenly start trusting DJI to a far more serious degree by using direct apk installed apps?

Stop being paranoid or do you have anything to hide?
2022-4-24
Use props
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

johansenfoto Posted at 4-24 10:47
Stop being paranoid or do you have anything to hide?

Ah, yes… all autocrats friend: If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. There are even a few - very few - police officers, that believe this naive version of safety in our world (history, today and probably just as crazy in the future).

In my career in programming, I became convinced, that bad, dangerous code was primarly produced in environments, where code inspection was not performed. Year after year, I ran into proof of that.

As a private citizens, your ONLY chance of avoiding App “accountant code” (cheap and cheery - debugging is costly) is the code inspection performed by Apple and Google. That check is not perfect, but it is the ONLY chance you get to achieve even somewhat reliable and safe code. On ANY platform.

Of course I have a lot of things,  I do not want anyone else to have access to. Most important my digital identity, my fingerprint data, other biometric data, my bank account passwords, my passwords to frequent flyer programs, Amazon and other shops etc. Plus I really value the privacy of my contacts too (I know, I know, a lot of US citizens gladly  give Facebook access to their contact informations - one result of the “nothing to hide” stupidity  ;-)

But if you have nothing to hide, please publish your bank account details, and access credentials in any answer, you may wish to create!

Over to you!
2022-4-24
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

kfh Posted at 4-24 12:27
Ah, yes… all autocrats friend: If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. There are even a few - very few - police officers, that believe this naive version of safety in our world (history, today and probably just as crazy in the future).

In my career in programming, I became convinced, that bad, dangerous code was primarly produced in environments, where code inspection was not performed. Year after year, I ran into proof of that.

You didn't take the joke
2022-4-24
Use props
Nychu5
lvl.1

United States

I agree with previous posters. The fact that DJI is not running their apps through the Google Play Store vetting process is concerning to me. I would feel the same with any other vendor. I've been a big fan of DJI, but this latest development is making me even more skeptical. The only other solution I could envision would be purchasing a dedicated iPhone for use with my DJI stuff, which is annoying as well.
2022-4-27
Use props
djiuser_DlMn4DtVTW4P
New

Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-20 17:46

I tried that. Didn't work. App just shut down as soon as I opened it. This is a joke? Expensive camera that's supposed to work with my phone suddenly didn't any more?
2022-8-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_DlMn4DtVTW4P Posted at 8-13 01:12
I tried that. Didn't work. App just shut down as soon as I opened it. This is a joke? Expensive camera that's supposed to work with my phone suddenly didn't any more?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We're deeply sorry that you are having issue with your unit. May I please ask what DJI Product are you using also what mobile device does your DJI Fly app installed on? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-8-18
Use props
Mad_Inferno
New
United States

If you are running Android 13 you need to create a trouble ticket to get the beta. Thats what i had to do to get it working for me.
2022-8-18
Use props
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

Mad_Inferno Posted at 8-18 21:28
If you are running Android 13 you need to create a trouble ticket to get the beta. Thats what i had to do to get it working for me.

No need to waste any more time on an obsolete product with years of need of firmware updates, and little usability (50,fps and universal handle overheats, even without starting a recording - typical DJI quality?)

So… why would it interest me to download anything from DJI? Put the finished product on Google Play, and I can decide, whether I want to test an official release - anything else: bye-bye DJI).
2022-8-19
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

kfh Posted at 8-19 00:07
No need to waste any more time on an obsolete product with years of need of firmware updates, and little usability (50,fps and universal handle overheats, even without starting a recording - typical DJI quality?)

So… why would it interest me to download anything from DJI? Put the finished product on Google Play, and I can decide, whether I want to test an official release - anything else: bye-bye DJI).

To each his own I guess. The Mimo app has not been on the Google Play store for more than a year. It's a well known fact, and DJI was clear and upfront when they removed it, and provided a link to d/l directly from the DJI site. Why anyone would think that software has to pass Google's "muster" is beyond me, but whatever. After all DJI created the product and the software, not Google. I still enjoy my Pocket and Pocket2 and my wife does as well. We both have Android MotoG4 phones, and iPhone 13pro devices that work perfectly well with both models of the Pocket. Terribly sorry that you're having a bad experience. Hopefully you'll get it sorted and begin to have fun with your device. Cheers!
2022-8-20
Use props
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

Gulfstream Posted at 8-20 01:19
To each his own I guess. The Mimo app has not been on the Google Play store for more than a year. It's a well known fact, and DJI was clear and upfront when they removed it, and provided a link to d/l directly from the DJI site. Why anyone would think that software has to pass Google's "muster" is beyond me, but whatever. After all DJI created the product and the software, not Google. I still enjoy my Pocket and Pocket2 and my wife does as well. We both have Android MotoG4 phones, and iPhone 13pro devices that work perfectly well with both models of the Pocket. Terribly sorry that you're having a bad experience. Hopefully you'll get it sorted and begin to have fun with your device. Cheers!

DJI wasn’t up front. I only discovered it by accident, where no update was possible on Android. The interesting thing is, that they update their software through the official channels on the iOS platform - interesting “innit” (and yes, I know they’re not able to avoid that approach on the standard iOS user platform).

The reason I only download and install Android Apps via Google Play is simple: Google performs check of the code. It may not be perfect, but it’s the only check, that the code is reasonably secure. DJI - for all I know - seem to want to avoid this check of code quality and code security. Their choice, but why? They’re not poor, or…?

We’re living in interesting times; especially in parts of Europe, where software developed by a company from a country regarded as “friend of Russia” may have unwanted - ahem - (tracking) side effects  ;-)

Since the hardware in effect is unsupported, and has been for quite some time, I see no reason to install software from the same manufacturer, that could not even get his hardware to work decently (also skimping on needed firmware upgrades). What would I gain?

It’s easier to simply exclude DJI from the list of viable candidates for future business.

Not using DJI products at all pose no safety risks ;-)

I also have found better solutions better supported at lower prices delivering far better quality, so… What would I gain? Not quite so small, but what do overheating products too hot to handhold give you beside burns and sudden heat induced recording stops?

DJI has become a “has been” in my view. You may have a different view, alas… my money follows my views ;-)

My ten cents!
2022-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules