Fly app "Device Management", a drone history question.
2163 17 2022-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was just browsing this and noticed the''flight distance'', ''flight time'' and ''time in service'' listings. The first two DO NOT correspond with the summation of the logs on the phone, they are MUCH MUCH greater.

Question, from where is the App gathering this data? Anyone? DJI?
For what the information is worth, the phone's wifi is off, it does not have, and never has had, a simm card and I DO NOT sync (though I do manually upload to Airdata). So I assume the data is NOT coming from the web, which leaves either the controller or more likely the drone.
If the drone, does anyone know if it is actual fligh-time/motors-running-time or drone-switched-on time?

From memory the drone's activation date is one of the things that is NOT found in the PhantomHelp Logviewer of the mini 2's encrypted txt flight logs. It was, and for me with pre 1.2 Apps, is available from the Mavic Mini's txt flight log and is missed.

I see I can bind and unbind the drone from my DJI account,and have done this for test purposes. but DO NOT see the possibility of binding the controller to either or both the drone or my DJI account.

Is the controller to whatever binding ONLY available to those people who have flyaway cover?

2022-4-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the app on my iPhone and the Smart controller and sync both to the DJI cloud and Airdata.   What Ive noticed is that the distance in flight time and distance is different between the two devices.  Its almost as is the flight time is how long the device has been used rather than the drone.
2022-4-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Alot of the times flight logs don't update properly.
2022-4-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-24 23:46
I have the app on my iPhone and the Smart controller and sync both to the DJI cloud and Airdata.   What Ive noticed is that the distance in flight time and distance is different between the two devices.  Its almost as is the flight time is how long the device has been used rather than the drone.

And what do the Device Management listings say concerning the drone?
If your Airdata holds all the flights can you compare what it shows with what both the iPhone and Smart controller show in their "device Management"s please?
I have just checked 3 Mini 2s and none seem correct or look reasonable. One is 0,0, though the "time in service" may be correct, it was a 2nd hand unactivated Care Refresh replacement but admittedly I have not flown that drone much.

I will check my own other phone and 'spare' controllers and see whether the values change.
I will also check my 'pilots flight logbook' to see what I have actually flown with them.

2022-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-25 00:33
And what do the Device Management listings say concerning the drone? Can you check what it shows on both the iPhone and Smart controller please?
I have just checked 3 Mini 2s and none seem correct or look reasonable. One is 0,0, though the "time in service" may be correct, it was a 2nd hand unactivated Care Refresh replacement but admittedly I have not flown that drone much.

The time in service is the same between the two devices.
2022-4-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-25 00:37
The time in service is the same between the two devices.

Oops edited post no4 to reflect the question I meant to ask but didn't
2022-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-25 00:40
Oops edited post no4 to reflect the question I meant to ask but didn't

My profile data includes flights from the Go4 app and Fly App,   The Flight Distance and Flight Time under Mini2 is different between the two controllers,   I think if you add them up then the distance is probably about correct for my Mini2.  
2022-4-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-25 00:47
My profile data includes flights from the Go4 app and Fly App,   The Flight Distance and Flight Time under Mini2 is different between the two controllers,   I think if you add them up then the distance is probably about correct for my Mini2.

With you mentioning the Go4 app I am not sure we are talking about the same things  so for clarity it is the details on the screen-captured page below that I am talking about
2022-4-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phone-2/controller-1 = same values
phone-2/controller-2 = same values
2022-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-25 01:43
With you mentioning the Go4 app I am not sure we are talking about the same things  so for clarity it is the details on the screen-captured page below that I am talking about
[view_image]

On this screen I have different values between the Smart controller and iPhone.   On the previous screen to this on the right hand side there is a summary of flights there too and that includes my Go4 flight time.
2022-4-25
Use props
Amraam1964
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161991 ft
Canada

Not sure if this helps or if I fully understand the questions, I’m a newb, but his is my observation. I have the Flyapp on an iPhone and iPad and used them both last night first time. I have auto sync turned off.

Started with phone, flew a bit, then a manual sync to cloud. Switched to iPad and noticed flight data at zero to start and only logged that data.  Both devices showed different data. I then did a manual sync with iPad and it then showed correct total data. I did another sync with the phone and it then showed matching correct total data.

It appears that the data is collected/stored in the app and not the drone. It makes sense since the drone doesn’t know it’s distance, that would be captured by the map/satellite gps system in the app.

I intend to run a test to confirm this by doing a small flight with just the controller and no phone, then see what, if any, data is captured. Now you have me curious.
2022-4-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-25 23:02
On this screen I have different values between the Smart controller and iPhone.   On the previous screen to this on the right hand side there is a summary of flights there too and that includes my Go4 flight time.

puzzling.
It is a pity that DJI don't enter this thread.
2022-4-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amraam1964 Posted at 4-28 06:57
Not sure if this helps or if I fully understand the questions, I’m a newb, but his is my observation. I have the Flyapp on an iPhone and iPad and used them both last night first time. I have auto sync turned off.

Started with phone, flew a bit, then a manual sync to cloud. Switched to iPad and noticed flight data at zero to start and only logged that data.  Both devices showed different data. I then did a manual sync with iPad and it then showed correct total data. I did another sync with the phone and it then showed matching correct total data.

Interesting, I will think on this and maybe fly some test flights too.
2022-4-28
Use props
Amraam1964
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161991 ft
Canada

All right I have an update for anyone interested. I ran some flight tests without the phone attached ( wow not recommended for new comers, more difficult than I thought lol) . I first synced to the cloud to get my benchmark data, flew a bit without the phone then connected the phone and did not see any new data. No flight time or distance. Then flew with the phone and flight date was recorded as expected. So the data does seem to record through the app since the only data recorded was collected while the phone was connected and the app running.

A couple of interesting further observations are:
1. When the auto sync is turned off on my phone the data shown is only flight data captured with that device. Turn on sync and total flight data from the cloud was displayed. I can sync before hand then turn off sync and the total no longer displays. It automatically reverted back to data collected with that device instead of continuing to display the total from the cloud.

2. Total number of flights was off a bit, then I noticed why. I sent the drone out for a good distance, lost connection and the unit did the auto return as expected. However the app recorded it as 2 separate flights. 1 before the disconnect and 1 after it reconnected back in range and I took it over. Note - the app shut down while in auto return mode and I quickly restarted the app which could also account for the 2 flights.

I’m getting a better feel for this thing. Second night of flying and having fun.
2022-4-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just to confirm, is it the distance and time shown on the image attached to post no14 that you are looking at?
2022-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-28 07:14
puzzling.
It is a pity that DJI don't enter this thread.

Whats more puzzling is that since we discussed this Ive noticed that the smart controller value hasn't increased even though Ive flown more than 30km's.
2022-4-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bound and sync'ed one drone and then flew a 2.8km total distance flight, after a reboot of everything the flight shows up in the above device management total.
2022-5-2
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

I do wish there was a better way to sync and track the information from all of your flights similar to what the GO4 app displays.  I track my flights in the Aloft app manually, but like the graphics and call out info of GO4.
2022-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules