Fly Mavic 2 Pro without crash avoidance?
1161 7 2022-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wco81
lvl.2

Portugal

On a trip, crashed my Mavic 2 Pro.

Lost control and it crashed into the side of a cliff face.

The aircraft lost two propellers, got some scuffs.

The sensors on top of aircraft no longer have the glass cover or lenses.  So DJI Go app reports R and L sensor errors, won't connect to aircraft.

Is it possible to disable or override the sensors, just so I can try to fly on this trip (in Portugal) before returning home?

Not sure what the sensors on top of aircraft do.  Sensors on side are also missing the glass.
2022-4-28
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

Just disable the sensors in settings.
2022-4-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I crashed a zoom, same drone just a different camera, the front sensors got damaged and I had an appropriate error message. I can not remember if I was able to fly but suspect I wasn't. I do not normally have the OA sensors switched on.
With OA on the side sensors are active in tripod mode but not in normal mode or sports mode. I do not know if they are active in any of the preprogrammed flight modes.

That I am aware of the upward looking sensors CAN NOT be switched off via a selectable option, however they ARE switched off in sports mode.
I do not know if the malfunction of the top and or side sensors will prevent flight. The easiest answer would be to see if you can start the motors with the CSC command. If so try a test flight.
BE AWARE, the top sensors have greater authority than the downward looking sensors and if they detect an object over head they can force the drone downwards, even to the extent of over riding landing protection. I have 'forced' a M2P/Z to the ground by lowering my hand over the top sensor.
If the drone will fly and if you are dubious of the top sensors I would be inclined to cover their opening with good non transparent sticky tape e.g. gaffa tape. I have done that indoors and it allowed my M2P/Z to reach ceiling level, normally the drone won't climb higher than 3 or 4 ft below the ceiling, I am not going to try sports mode indoors lol.

2022-4-28
Use props
wco81
lvl.2

Portugal

Thanks for the ideas.

I suspect the side sensor covers are gone too.  Maybe they’re optics, because I can’t imagine that the sensors report errors because a transparent piece of glass is gone.
2022-4-28
Use props
wco81
lvl.2

Portugal

Also found this article about enabling  the Visual Obstacle Avoidance in the Visual Navigation Settings tab?

https://www.dronegenuity.com/dji-go-4-first-flight-settings/

Are the top sensors not associated with this VOA system.
2022-4-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The upward looking sensors are a means of obstacle avoidance (OA) but they are not switched on or off by the OA switch.
I can only relate my hands on experience, I quite often fly an M2Z indoors and I very rarely have the OA switched on when I do so. Why? Because the drone is all but horizontally immobile if OA is on, with obstructions detected to the front and rear.
But, irrespective of whether or not OA is on or off, I get upward object detected, or some such message, every time I try to make the drone climb towards the ceiling............ unless I switch to sports mode or cover the upward looking sensors.
2022-4-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. To check the warranty period for each part, you may click this link: https://www.dji.com/service/policy. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-4-28
Use props
wco81
lvl.2

United States

Well today I was able to fly without changing settings or covering up the sensors with tape.

Got the same sensor errors but it connected to the aircraft.

So I tried to take off and it looked fine.  He screen said Visual System Error in red but I seem to fly okay.  I took a lot of panos and even a Hyperlapse and RTH was fine but precision landing seemed off, had to make adjustments and then push the aircraft down with the altitude stick.

One reason I didn’t push testing the RTH is that there were some overhead power lines so I flew about a couple of meters AGL until it got clear of the power lines and I set it down
2022-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules