Smart Controller MANUAL comments.
1119 17 2022-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

In Version 1.8 of the Manual for the "Smart Controller"  NOT Smart Controller Pro     On Page # 11, in the area that starts with these words:"Regardless of the position the switch is in . . ." Which refers to the "Flight Mode Switch" #6 on page #4 under "OVERVIEW."
     When using UPDATE "  1.04.0000 "  those instructions will not be quite right, and the "Flight Mode Switch" does change the flight mode,
as it will display an indicator on the screen of the Smart Controller showing it being switched between positions, (in the display)
of :  T=  "Cine Mode (slow speed)"  P=  "N normal mode"  S= "Sport Mode (High Speed)."   
   It MAY be that the Smart Controller still starts in "P= Normal Mode," and you have to move the switch to what ever position
you want to use, even if the controller is turned on with this switch in T or S mode, you may have to move the switch to wherver
you want it, and then it truely MAY be in that position???
   *** 04/29/2022 3:00 PM  PDST  Changed the update number.***
2022-4-29
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Connections:
     Is it okay to go from a computer USB-A to the USB-A "Device" connector on the top/right of the Smart Controller to exchange files/ohotos?
2022-4-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All the controllers take off in P mode regardless what the switch is set to for safety.
2022-4-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-30 01:20
All the controllers take off in P mode regardless what the switch is set to for safety.

I could understand that protocol for as you said Safety.  However nothing in that section of the manual mentions that the switching will be reflected in the display.  And, I figured that perhaps in the later
models of the Smart Controllers it changed that to the true flight position being reflected in
the display - see why I thought that?  I'm going to check further, test each position while flying, then shut it down, turn it back on, and see how it acts???Thanks for the comment.
2022-4-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 4-30 11:05
I could understand that protocol for as you said Safety.  However nothing in that section of the manual mentions that the switching will be reflected in the display.  And, I figured that perhaps in the later
models of the Smart Controllers it changed that to the true flight position being reflected in
the display - see why I thought that?  I'm going to check further, test each position while flying, then shut it down, turn it back on, and see how it acts???Thanks for the comment.

Sadly the display tends not to reflect the behaviour.  It’s been discussed here for ages now.  Old issue they still haven’t resolved.  
2022-4-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-30 11:52
Sadly the display tends not to reflect the behaviour.  It’s been discussed here for ages now.  Old issue they still haven’t resolved.

Have you seen my post about "loss of LEFT YAW?  Would be interested in any comment you may have.  It is in "DJI Mini2 YAW problem"
*** Edited 07/17/22***
     Found that the above happened because the Mini2 was on the edge of a Geo Zone, moved 20 feet to the right, and all was well.
2022-5-1
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-30 11:52

I did my experiment, and here are the results.
     I turned on the Mini2 and SC (the "Flight Mode Switch") was in position " T " I timed a
full ( 360 ) LEFT turn took, which was 15 seconds. I turned craft and sc off.
     I placed the flight mode switch in " S " position, turned everything on, did a full 360 turn to the left, which took 10 seconds.  Turned everything off.
     I placed the flight mode switch in " P ' position, turned everything on, did a full left turn, which took 10 seconds.  Turned everything off.     
     Since the longest time was in the " T " position, I placed the flight mode switch in that position while everything was off as I had done in testing all, but wanted to see again.
     I turned everything on, made a full left turn, and it took 15 seconds, showing that THIS Smart Controller flight mode switch does set the mode, and the controller STARTS in the same position as the switch.  They may have set the controller circuitry right, and NOT told anyone???  *** Added the following later, after re-reading the Manual about the "Flight Mode Switch."***
     I think I have found the answer to why my Smart Controller is doing as stated in the test above.
Here it is:  I am using Update 1.04.0000 and when I go into the pages of the controller, there is NO "Multiple Flight Modes" section or Button.???  So...
it can NOT be chosen, hopefully and according to my test, they did away with that programing.???  Oh, for those who have this update or later and use the switch, switch, kind of slowly.
2022-5-1
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

This is the front of my Smart Controller, note the " T ' " P " " S "
2022-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 5-1 11:35
I did my experiment, and here are the results.
     I turned on the Mini2 and SC (the "Flight Mode Switch") was in position " T " I timed a
full ( 360 ) LEFT turn took, which was 15 seconds. I turned craft and sc off.

Better test,  start in P,  take off and climb fast,  note the speed.      Land and repeat the test in S and note the speed,   now take off in P,   switch to S and climb and note the speed.    For me the last one is much faster.
2022-5-1
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 22:38
Better test,  start in P,  take off and climb fast,  note the speed.      Land and repeat the test in S and note the speed,   now take off in P,   switch to S and climb and note the speed.    For me the last one is much faster.

Since you switched to " S " during the last flight, it will be faster.  I can only do my tests with Turning, due to my surroundingsat home, but will jeep your test in mind for when I have some room.  Thanks for the suggestron.  
2022-5-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 5-2 10:18
Since you switched to " S " during the last flight, it will be faster.  I can only do my tests with Turning, due to my surroundingsat home, but will jeep your test in mind for when I have some room.  Thanks for the suggestron.

Not for me,  it takes off in P mode.
2022-5-2
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 22:51
Not for me,  it takes off in P mode.

I will test using your method, when I am out in the open.
2022-5-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 5-3 11:19
I will test using your method, when I am out in the open.

You can always analyse the logs too,  to see what's really happening.  
2022-5-3
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-3 11:38
You can always analyse the logs too,  to see what's really happening.

Have to learn how to handle the logs first.  Did you see where I said that I no longer, since I
updated, have the choice of "Multiple Flight Modes" in the pages of the SC system, it was there under the old (original) that came with the controller.  So . . . the ONLY way that I can choose the flight modes is, by the Flight Mode Switch on the front of the controller I have.
2022-5-3
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

What is really needed is a NEW updated MANUAL for the Smart Controller to address the abilities that have come into being after
the new firmware updates and being able to work with Mini2.
2022-5-26
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

With things changing so fast for the Smart Controller and Mini2, I guess it will be a while IF we ever get a manual that covers at least the main things
of the two while linked.  My Smart Controller using software update: 01.01.0046 no longer gives the choice of "Mutiple Controller Modes" in the
pages, the only way to change  C - P - S is by the switch on the front of the controller above the screen.  I still have not used the "Quick Shots"
because I do not have enough room here and have not had time to head out on the road and go to a large place, like the model airplane
flying park.  Guess will have to keep trying this and that, just get tired of charging things so much.
2022-6-16
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Here are the results:

Well I got the Mini2 and the Smart Controller in the backyard, along with a stop-watch.  I have the following:  Aircraft Firmware:01.04.000 Remote Control Firmware: 01.01.0064 and the DJI GoFly " App Version: 1.6.1.  After testing and timing 360 degree turns as well as Yaw left and right I had the following results:  NO MATTER what position the MODE switch was in upon LAUNCH, ALL readings stayed the same for each position I switched to:  In Cine the turns took 15 seconds and the yaw was noticeably slower/smoother than the Mid or Sport positions.  In Mid (P or N) position the turns took 11 seconds, and the Yaw was notably more aggressive and quicker than cine.  In Sport position the turns took 9 seconds (or very close), the Yaw was more aggressive and quicker.  Also, with the Firm/Soft Ware that I was using in the Craft and Smart Controller there was a place to choose "Multi-Mode," that would make the MODE SWITCH functionable, however with the updated Firm/Soft Ware that is now being used the choice is no longer there  I feel; that with the equipment and its programing I am using together, I have the choice of choosing what mode the aircraft launches in!     I also hope that this shows we need something in writing that is CURRENT, and takes the poor Moderators out of the position of quoting
outdated information - in good faith.
2022-6-16
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

I UPDATED the Mini2 today to Version 1.05.0000, and it gave me a few surprises, that changed my findings of my previous post.

I NOW have Smart Controller with 01.01.0064 software and Mini2 with Aircraft Firmware 1.05.0000 APP Version 1.6.1
When I LAUNCH the craft with the MODE switch in Position S (far right) the time in doing a 360 degree turn is (just under) 4 seconds!  When launched with MODE switch in position
N or P (which is the middle position) it takes 8 seconds to do a full turn.  When launched with the MODE switch in the T or C (far left position),
it takes a full 15 seconds.  Therefore in my circumstances it shows that the position that the MODE SWITCH is in on LAUNCH, (LEFT - CENTER - RIGHT)
IS the operating position UNTIL it is changed via the MODE SWITCH.  By the way, with this Update, the SPORT position really surprised me, it is one speedy little fella,
hope you all get a chance to try it.  
2022-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules