What could cause prop damage like this?
745 9 2022-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hope_14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 729026 ft
United States

I did a pre flight check and everything was in great shape and there was no damage but when flying the drone it didnt appear as smooth in flight so i brought it down and there was prop damage. Has anyone else seen damage like this or know why this could have happened? I have since put new props on but it just seams weird as they were new props (OEM parts) and i did not hit anything that i could see and was in a open field so there wasnt really anything to hit. Any advice appreciated! i just wanna figure out if this is common or not and how often i really will be going through props.
2022-5-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Any reports of a downed Boeing 777 nearby?  

Never seen any drone prop blade cracked like that near hub.   Is there any other damage to blade?
2022-5-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rotate the damaged blade clockwise and see if the start of the break coincides with the contact point of the blades leading edge with the hub of the other blade. If so check that contact point for a ridge etc. that could have caused a nick in the damaged blade's leading edge. Blades are thrown forwards when the motors deccelerate or stop.

What do you mean by "new props (OEM parts)"?
Were they bought directly from DJI or a DJI agent or via someone offering "OEM props"?
I see the DJI logo and the remainder of the embossed characters "03 4726 FM" matches a pair that I have (genuine DJI props) but on the undamaged blade several of the numbers look cockeyed to me, of course that could be photographic artifacts.
2022-5-8
Use props
hope_14
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-8 09:15
Any reports of a downed Boeing 777 nearby?  

There is no other damage to the blade which makes it weird to me!
2022-5-8
Use props
hope_14
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-8 09:40
Rotate the damaged blade clockwise and see if the start of the break coincides with the contact point of the blades leading edge with the hub of the other blade. If so check that contact point for a ridge etc. that could have caused a nick in the damaged blade's leading edge. Blades are thrown forwards when the motors deccelerate or stop.

What do you mean by "new props (OEM parts)"?

I had thought this might be the case but it appears the break point does not coincide with the contact point with the hub, the break occurs after the contact point.
By new OEM parts I mean they are the props direct from DJI that came with the drone. They had less than an hour of flight time and the drone was only a month or two old at the time this occurred.
2022-5-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That prop looks like it might have been bent at some point, maybe snagged getting it out of your bag?
2022-5-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there hope_14. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know where do you store your DJI Mini 2 and how long have you been using these propellers on your DJI Mini 2 for us to be able to isolate the issue? Thank you.
2022-5-8
Use props
hope_14
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 11:29
That prop looks like it might have been bent at some point, maybe snagged getting it out of your bag?

I don’t believe it did, it doesn’t go in and out of the bag a lot and it also gets checked before each flight and there was no sign of warp, wear, or bend when it was checked over before take off
2022-5-9
Use props
hope_14
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-8 18:59
Hello there hope_14. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know where do you store your DJI Mini 2 and how long have you been using these propellers on your DJI Mini 2 for us to be able to isolate the issue? Thank you.

The props had been on the drone and been on the drone for less than a month when this occurred and the drone is stored in the case inside my house when it’s not being used.  
2022-5-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could try taking the blade to the Mech Eng department of a University, they might like to look at it for a failure study.
2022-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules