3042 51 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

So...only a honest impression disregarding any "love" for DJI or other companies:

Pro:
1. Controls are good, drone is stable.
2. Propellers noise is very nice, the quietest I have seen up to now.
3. RC have signal at around 80% after 1 km (not in city). I stopped at 1km as I don't fly more than this ussualy.
4. Good video signal, no delay

5. Firmware is almost complete, at least we have a 99% made drone and software (can work at 360 for example as the camera can cover full sky and can result a true 360)

Now the "need to work" things:
1. Video have noise, even with ISO 100, is visible in shadows. Can be corrected? Of course, in post you can do anything, but they can optimize a little the algorithm.
2. Dual ISO is a joke...Was better HDR.
3. The image is ghosted a little when in motion, creating a strange blur, probably from DUAL ISO (is not that blur from motion only, as that is well known and normal at 30FPS). Very visible in semi-darkness...need a button to disable it when not needed.
4. Contrast...Contrast....a lot of Contrast...like they break the contrast canister on this drone...need a button to set it lower.

5. Does not have that sharpness that Nano+ (direct competition) have...and I am refering strictly as video and photo quality, disregarding other issues from Autel.
6. Self Unlock was not working yesterday for blue zones...tried, tried...I hate this stupid NFZ.
7. Cannot stay powered for long, as have cooling only from propellers...or is getting REALY hot and shuts down. Wonder how will handle 40 degrees celsius... 8. The RC screen is only 700 nits...in sun you cannot see it properly....be advised.

A short original footage made for a few seconds at industrial part of town...as my battery was depleted from many tries to unlock the zone.

Cheers.

2022-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Geo_Drone. Good day and thank you for sharing your first flight experience with your new DJI Mini 3 Pro. These information will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for attention. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-5-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing In your video it was interesting to see someone picking up a dog turd
2022-5-17
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-17 22:46
Thanks for sharing In your video it was interesting to see someone picking up a dog turd

Well, depends on what you look for.
2022-5-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the details, it all helps, do you really think #3 is a Pro @ 1000m, i know your CE as we are in the UK but 1000m at 80% signal is poor, your looking at it wrong too, if its poor distance wise, its going to be poor close in too when it comes to buildings, trees, giants, etc. meaning you'll lose the signal far sooner than you should. Max transmission for CE should be 8km as stated, but even 3-5km should be doable and if the Mini 2 is anything to go by, the limitation in FCC is only the battery.
2022-5-17
Use props
肥宅队队长
lvl.1
Flight distance : 117828 ft
China

Hello! Could you tell me that your RC is used with testing firmware or released one? Because 1km with 80% signal is obviously weaker than former dji remote controllers.Thanks a lot!
2022-5-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

肥宅队队长 Posted at 5-17 23:01
Hello! Could you tell me that your RC is used with testing firmware or released one? Because 1km with 80% signal is obviously weaker than former dji remote controllers.Thanks a lot!

He has a drone he has bought and I presume updated
2022-5-17
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

肥宅队队长 Posted at 5-17 23:01
Hello! Could you tell me that your RC is used with testing firmware or released one? Because 1km with 80% signal is obviously weaker than former dji remote controllers.Thanks a lot!

RC with screen for Mini 3. Updated yesterday before flight at last version.
And yes, seems to be weaker in signal than standard RC.
2022-5-17
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Bashy Posted at 5-17 23:00
Thanks for the details, it all helps, do you really think #3 is a Pro @ 1000m, i know your CE as we are in the UK but 1000m at 80% signal is poor, your looking at it wrong too, if its poor distance wise, its going to be poor close in too when it comes to buildings, trees, giants, etc. meaning you'll lose the signal far sooner than you should. Max transmission for CE should be 8km as stated, but even 3-5km should be doable and if the Mini 2 is anything to go by, the limitation in FCC is only the battery.

I know Bashy, probably will be updates and signal optimized by DJI.
As far as I see now, the RC with screen incorporated is having less signal than RC N1 remote with antennas outside.
Cannot say is from Firmware or is just made wrong with the antennas built inside...we will see.
For inside city if I go a little far, i use Evo 2 Pro as is more heavy and stable, not Mini 3...This will be used as a free time drone, for personal use, as is lighter...

But yes, you are right, the signal in this RC is weaker.
2022-5-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing your first impressions.  

Hopefully, DJI engineers will consider what you have stated as "need to work" things.
2022-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-17 23:11
RC with screen for Mini 3. Updated yesterday before flight at last version.
And yes, seems to be weaker in signal than standard RC.

After seeing a few range videos is does seem that the RC screen signal is weaker than the standard RC.  
2022-5-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-18 02:34
After seeing a few range videos is does seem that the RC screen signal is weaker than the standard RC.

Yes, it is...Today we have guts of over 55km/h and cannot fly it, but yesterday at 1 km away I have seen how one line of signal was lost.
And I was in a flat field, no trees, no routers, no radio towers, also I was on higher ground, so nothing interfered...
Would be interesting to measure the power emitted by the RC in CE, I cannot measure it but as the antennas are inside the RC case, I believe is needed an increase in power in order to achieve the real max power for CE OUTSIDE the case and not inside...the plastic can perturbate the signal and lower it.
2022-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-18 02:41
Yes, it is...Today we have guts of over 55km/h and cannot fly it, but yesterday at 1 km away I have seen how one line of signal was lost.
And I was in a flat field, no trees, no routers, no radio towers, also I was on higher ground, so nothing interfered...
Would be interesting to measure the power emitted by the RC in CE, I cannot measure it but as the antennas are inside the RC case, I believe is needed an increase in power in order to achieve the real max power for CE OUTSIDE the case and not inside...the plastic can perturbate the signal and lower it.

I'm anxious to see if the FCC remotes have the same issue.  I order mine on release day directly from DJI but it is not due to arrive until 6 June.  
2022-5-18
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34413 ft
Canada

Seems like a lot of the image issues you had is due to inexperience with dialing in the correct settings. Virtually every person who has reviewed the drone who knows how to set their exposure settings properly has praised the image the Mini 3 Pro produces. The lack of sharpness you mention in compared to the Nano+ is a good thing. Baked in sharpness is terrible for picture quality. it’s good for people who want to take video directly from the drone and upload it but that’s not what this drone is for, hence the “Pro” moniker.
2022-5-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

J04DAN Posted at 5-18 03:46
Seems like a lot of the image issues you had is due to inexperience with dialing in the correct settings. Virtually every person who has reviewed the drone who knows how to set their exposure settings properly has praised the image the Mini 3 Pro produces. The lack of sharpness you mention in compared to the Nano+ is a good thing. Baked in sharpness is terrible for picture quality. it’s good for people who want to take video directly from the drone and upload it but that’s not what this drone is for, hence the “Pro” moniker.

Sorry mate, but in here Sharpness means details.
If you check the trees and grass, you see is blurred.
I prefer to get details and apply a Gaussian blur if needed, as will have reserves.
You cannot tell me that image with less details is a good thing as is not.
That is the pure fact... Nano+ at camera is the King but Mini3 at drone flight is the King.
And that is already a fact.
2022-5-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

J04DAN Posted at 5-18 03:46

PS. Was in Auto, as I remained without battery because I have tried in 3 areas to self unlock and did not worked.
Will review it in Manual as I use my drones, but if you know how the image is made, you cannot tell me that details are poor because of settings.
ISO, SS, WB... Have NOTHING to do with the details that the raw sensor is picking and the optics that give the quality.
You can set 180 degree rule, can put ISO 100, but you are limited to capability of sensor and optics.
2022-5-18
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Canada

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-18 04:44
PS. Was in Auto, as I remained without battery because I have tried in 3 areas to self unlock and did not worked.
Will review it in Manual as I use my drones, but if you know how the image is made, you cannot tell me that details are poor because of settings.
ISO, SS, WB... Have NOTHING to do with the details that the raw sensor is picking and the optics that give the quality.

Sorry man. If you’re in auto I just can’t take you seriously.
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-18 02:34

I tested my n1 remote today and compared to the DJI remote with screen I had video glitches after 1000m
And full disconnects way before the new remote.  In one flight the n1 did a RTH at 1200m whereas the new remote went further.  
2022-5-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 10:02
I tested my n1 remote today and compared to the DJI remote with screen I had video glitches after 1000m
And full disconnects way before the new remote.  In one flight the n1 did a RTH at 1200m whereas the new remote went further.

Damn ...that is not good ...this means that is not the controller but the drone signal.
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-18 10:15
Damn ...that is not good ...this means that is not the controller but the drone signal.

One thing I noticed is the video was nowhere near as smooth. It felt like an o2 connection more than o3.  But before it would connect the firmware had to update the controller.   
2022-5-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 10:19
One thing I noticed is the video was nowhere near as smooth. It felt like an o2 connection more than o3.  But before it would connect the firmware had to update the controller.
Well, we have updated all...i bet you did also, as you cannot fly without update.
So ...if they put the antennas wrong in Mini3, will have an issue....as any software will not make it better.
Strange is that the signal drops almost instantly from 2 lines to 0 or close to 0 and then is loosing it...
Well...probably will wait for update and DJI informing about it ..or will return it, as we did not paid for a Mini SE here...even Mini SE FCc have more range than Mini 3 )))
2022-5-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

J04DAN Posted at 5-18 09:51

Learn about video footage and sensors and we talk after.
Or keep looking at advertising and influencers that get the drones for free, where all videos are processed at a point you cannot get it.
Cheers.
2022-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-18 10:28
Well, we have updated all...i bet you did also, as you cannot fly without update.
So ...if they put the antennas wrong in Mini3, will have an issue....as any software will not make it better.
Strange is that the signal drops almost instantly from 2 lines to 0 or close to 0 and then is loosing it...

Why would you say they put the antennas in the wrong way ?
2022-5-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

J04DAN Posted at 5-18 09:51

Well for me any one who does not use auto is not to be taken seriously.... Generally geeks who like to show off and think they know best..... Very sad in my view.
2022-5-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-18 10:30
Or keep looking at advertising and influencers that get the drones for free, where all videos are processed at a point you cannot get it.
Cheers.

I agree with you there. Too many people think it is about the quality and all those stupid numbers that they pretend they understand. It is about the content all the time for me.... Quite funny to be honest.
2022-5-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-18 10:35

Remember that English is most likely not  his first language. I think he means they might have put them in a poor place
2022-5-18
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Weather was a little gloomy, you could get lost in the reflection, looked good to me.  Interesting remarks, thanks for sharing.
2022-5-18
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Canada

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-18 10:30
Cheers.

I could teach a course on photography and videography. If you’re using any camera in “auto” mode you are letting camera engineers and AI try to decide how to expose your image. If that’s your basis for criticism you have no basis to talk.

2022-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 10:02
And full disconnects way before the new remote.  In one flight the n1 did a RTH at 1200m whereas the new remote went further.

Thanks for that info DA.    Starting to sound like could be the antenna locations on the Drone itself.
2022-5-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-18 10:35

im thinking he is saying if the pilot does not orient the rc antenna correctly then no amount of software will make up for that.
2022-5-18
Use props
Volsi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116089 ft
Japan

Thank you for your review.
I'm waiting mine but I'm worry about the screen on RC
2022-5-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Today another try, in city....After 350 m at 80m high, signal red then lost.
Same area, with Nano+ I an go over 1 km with no issues, with Evo 2 Pro I go 3 km with no issues.
So...DJI need to fix this.
2022-5-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

J04DAN Posted at 5-18 13:45
I could teach a course on photography and videography. If you’re using any camera in “auto” mode you are letting camera engineers and AI try to decide how to expose your image. If that’s your basis for criticism you have no basis to talk.

1. If you have Auto mode in daylight, is going to ISO 100.
2. If you have Auto on daylight, SS will be between 1/500 to 1/2500 so you get no blur from motion
3. If you have Auto mode in daylight, WB is around 5000-5700, and does not have any effect on blur.

As it have AP fixed on 1.7, what part in Manual mode will change the quality that sensor is picking?
Let me know as I am very curious about your PRO answer.
2022-5-18
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Canada

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-18 22:44
1. If you have Auto mode in daylight, is going to ISO 100.
2. If you have Auto on daylight, SS will be between 1/500 to 1/2500 so you get no blur from motion
3. If you have Auto mode in daylight, WB is around 5000-5700, and does not have any effect on blur.

Again as your original complaint was noise in the shadows you’re not locking your ISO at 100 in Auto. The Mini 3 Pro shoots a dual ISO image to try and increase dynamic range. So you’re not using D-Cinelike which is why your contrast is so punchy and its because of that contrast that your shadows have noise as the drone is applying a higher ISO to the shadows.

That same reason contributes to the mushiness of your grass as you described it. Mini 3 Pro has heavy noise reduction at higher ISO values.

You can see all of this in Philip Bloom’s review on YouTube. He explains the noise reduction and shows examples.

It’s a 249g drone. There are going to be trade offs in image quality but if you’re just going to throw the drone in auto mode you aren’t maximizing the potential quality of the sensor.

Dozens or more YouTuber’s who pixel peep for a living have praised the quality of the Mini 3 Pro. No it’s not a cinema camera but if you know how to expose your image properly you can get an amazing image from the drone.
2022-5-19
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can someone post screen recording of the signal issue?
2022-5-19
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

J04DAN Posted at 5-19 02:51
Again as your original complaint was noise in the shadows you’re not locking your ISO at 100 in Auto. The Mini 3 Pro shoots a dual ISO image to try and increase dynamic range. So you’re not using D-Cinelike which is why your contrast is so punchy and its because of that contrast that your shadows have noise as the drone is applying a higher ISO to the shadows.

That same reason contributes to the mushiness of your grass as you described it. Mini 3 Pro has heavy noise reduction at higher ISO values.

I have tested it with MANUAL mode, same result. So is not from Auto.
Cheers.
2022-5-19
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Exib Posted at 5-19 03:07
Can someone post screen recording of the signal issue?

Search on Youtube, you have plenty.
No reviewers from DJI (that lick-DJI boys) did not show a test range as this issue was known and covered by DJI and influencers.
2022-5-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-17 22:46

It does show many how its actually done as they do not seem to know lol
2022-5-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-19 22:08
Search on Youtube, you have plenty.
No reviewers from DJI (that lick-DJI boys) did not show a test range as this issue was known and covered by DJI and influencers.

Not all are the same.

2022-5-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have to agree with J04DAN, he is talking a lot of sense, Pro mode is the way to obtain the very best from any camera.

I have an idea Geo, why don't you take some video and photos that show the issues you're seeing, in DNG and RAW shot in auto mode and upload them to drive and let us have a look please, they have to be the originals though, cant stress that enough.

For me and drones, its just fun and with drones i shoot mostly in auto because i have no need to sell or blow up the images of videos or what have you, and 99.999999% of what i record get deleted because i cant take photos to save my life, referring to composition only. That said, i do however know how to use and shoot if i want to, a lot of what i shoot are birds in flight, namely the Red Kites lol and my dogs, Loki below came 2nd in a Tamron competition, prob only 2 entries lol

2022-5-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules