No built-in lens profile in the DNG files ?
12Next >
7854 43 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neodraig
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145020 ft
France

I am processing my first pictures taken with the Mini 3 Pro in Lightroom CC, however I can't find any lens profile.
I was under the impression that the Dji lens profiles were built-in the DNG files, but apparently it's not the case with the Mini 3 Pro.
With my Sony camera, when I enable the profile corrections, there is a message telling me "Built-in lens profile applied" but with the Mini 3 Pro I get "Unable to locate a matching profile automaticly".
Am I missing something or is it the DNG files that are missing something ?
2022-5-17
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I think Adobe also has to add lens support to Lightroom/CameraRAW as well which isn’t likely to be there yet.
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same here in Lightroom classic.
2022-5-18
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

ver

lens profiles are added by adobe usually, in the camera raw plugin, i don't think they are ever "baked" in the dng
2022-5-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I was under the impression that the Dji lens profiles were built-in the DNG files, but apparently it's not the case with the Mini 3 Pro.
The lens profile is built-in to the image file.
To save having to type it all out again, just read it all here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=264988
2022-5-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sbonev Posted at 5-18 00:51
lens profiles are added by adobe usually, in the camera raw plugin, i don't think they are ever "baked" in the dng

Except for every DJI camera made since the original Phantom 4.
No DJI lens profiles have been added to Adobe Camera Raw since then.
2022-5-18
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-18 04:27
To save having to type it all out again, just read it all here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=264988

Interesting, thanks
2022-5-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Lens Profile is designed for interchangeable lens cameras, the design of DJI Mini 3 Pro is a non-interchangeable lens, it has no Lens Profile, and the lens correction parameters have been written in the DNG in the form of Opcode to achieve lens correction.
2022-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-18 05:43
Hi, there. Lens Profile is designed for interchangeable lens cameras, the design of DJI Mini 3 Pro is a non-interchangeable lens, it has no Lens Profile, and the lens correction parameters have been written in the DNG in the form of Opcode to achieve lens correction.

Thanks for confirmation.
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-18 04:27

Not anymore.  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 160&pid=2746155

2022-5-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 09:57
Not anymore.  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=265160&pid=2746155

Not anymore
????
That's just as I said.
The lense profile data is built-in to the image file.
2022-5-18
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you try using exiftool on one of the DNG files?  It might have the data that you are looking for.
2022-5-18
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Looks a lot better than the mavic 3 without the profile, mavic 3 profile stretches the image a lot to get rid of those black spots in the corner. Mini 3 looks pretty good without one
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-18 15:18
Not anymore
????
That's just as I said.

Odd - Im sure she said -

" it has no Lens Profile, and the lens correction parameters have been written in the DNG in the form of Opcode to achieve lens correction."
2022-5-18
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 22:20
Odd - Im sure she said -

" it has no Lens Profile, and the lens correction parameters have been written in the DNG in the form of Opcode to achieve lens correction."

Maybe you need a lens profile?   lol!  
Edit: Actually just re-read it maybe I need a lens profile!!  
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 5-18 22:24
Maybe you need a lens profile?   lol!

The difference is that with a lens profile you can turn the correction on or off,  here the images are pre corrected by the drone and no option to turn off or on later.  So where most people are used to going into Lightroom or ACR and setting that option now it will complain no profile is available.
2022-5-18
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 22:26
The difference is that with a lens profile you can turn the correction on or off,  here the images are pre corrected by the drone and no option to turn off or on later.  So where most people are used to going into Lightroom or ACR and setting that option now it will complain no profile is available.

As you say just loads straight into Affinity and not really much to do...
2022-5-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 22:20
Odd - Im sure she said -

Oh ... I see.
You're being pedantic.
Sometimes people say the same thing with different words.
That concept is probably beyond your ability to understand.

For anyone else, it's the same thing and the mod was just confirming it.
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-19 00:10
Oh ... I see.
You're being pedantic.
Sometimes people say the the same thing with different words.

The difference is that with a lens profile you can turn the correction on or off,  here the images are pre corrected by the drone and no option to turn off or on later.  So where most people are used to going into Lightroom or ACR and setting that option now it will complain no profile is available.
2022-5-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 5-18 00:51

All my previous DJI mavic range drones have had the image correction baked into the DNG.

Its somewhat annoying that cant be disabled.
2022-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 00:25

So where most people are used to going into Lightroom or ACR and setting that option now it will complain no profile is available.
Most people?
If they are drone people, that's only folks that haven't flown anything newer than late 2016, because every DJI drone since then has had the lens profile included in each image file it captures.
2022-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 5-19 01:25
All my previous DJI mavic range drones have had the image correction baked into the DNG.

Its somewhat annoying that cant be disabled.

If you don't like it (hard to see why), all you need do is use a non-Adobe program.
Many of them don't read the built-in lens correction data.
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-19 02:26
So where most people are used to going into Lightroom or ACR and setting that option now it will complain no profile is available.
Most people?
If they are drone people, that's only folks that haven't flown anything newer than late 2016, because every DJI drone since then has had the lens profile included in each image file it captures.

Thats the point,  Mini3 DOES NOT HAVE LENS PROFILE,  they have a new system where the correction is applied inside the drone,  If you go to apply the lens profile you get an error that it is missing.  
2022-5-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 03:01
Thats the point,  Mini3 DOES NOT HAVE LENS PROFILE,  they have a new system where the correction is applied inside the drone,  If you go to apply the lens profile you get an error that it is missing.

It's not a new system.
Its been this way since the original mavics.
Its part of the DNG metadata and not software.

You can still apply a cusom DNG colour profile on top with a colour checker etc.
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-19 03:04
It's not a new system.
Its been this way since the original mavics.
Its part of the DNG metadata and not software.

No its changed.   The correction is now automatic and no lens correction is provided as its not needed,

Heres the difference between a Mini2 and Mini3.

Mini2

Mini3

2022-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 03:01

Perhaps English isn't your first language.
You don't seem to have understood a word that I've typed?
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-19 04:12
Perhaps English isn't your first language.
You don't seem to have understood a word that I've typed?

Perhaps the pictures above will help your understanding.  
2022-5-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 03:13
No its changed.   The correction is now automatic and no lens correction is provided as its not needed,

Heres the difference between a Mini2 and Mini3.

Which isn't new given its how the Mavic 1 and 2 also do it.
And from memory the Phantoms.

Might be new for a mini but no different to the older models from the main series.
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 5-19 04:41
Which isn't new given its how the Mavic 1 and 2 also do it.
And from memory the Phantoms.

No the difference is the dngs are pre corrected in drone line the jpgs would be.  So there’s no need for any Len’s profile.
2022-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 04:22
Perhaps the pictures above will help your understanding.

Pictures aside .. it's just as it has been since late 2016.

No the difference is the dngs are pre corrected in drone line the jpgs would be.  So there’s no need for any Len’s profile.
Since DJI started including the lens correction data in the image files, the dng files have always had the vignetting etc already corrected.
Users of most non-Adobe software have been complaining of dark corners and bowed horizons since then, but not Adobe users.

2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-19 05:52
Pictures aside .. it's just as it has been since late 2016.

But now we don’t have a choice.  
2022-5-19
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3425 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is the status of this bug?
Adobe does not recognize the built-in profile stored in Mini 3 Pro's DNG file (there seems to be one). On the other hand, the built-in profiles of Mini 2 and Mavic 3 DNGs are properly recognized and applied at import.
The bug is either on DJI or Adobe side.
2022-7-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Are talking about 12MP DNGs? As adobe seems to be doing a good job with the 48MP DNGs.
2022-7-16
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 7-16 15:15
Are talking about 12MP DNGs? As adobe seems to be doing a good job with the 48MP DNGs.

The bug is both in 12MP and 48MP.
Looking at DNG tags, there is no distortion correction to be applied anyway.
Is it that Mini 3 Pro is heavily cooking the raw files by applying distortion and vignetting correction to the DNG itself instead of via a built-in profile?
I agree that the raw files look great even without any profile being applied by Adobe.
2022-7-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

SrMi Posted at 7-16 15:43
The bug is both in 12MP and 48MP.
Looking at DNG tags, there is no distortion correction to be applied anyway.
Is it that Mini 3 Pro is heavily cooking the raw files by applying distortion and vignetting correction to the DNG itself instead of via a built-in profile?

Adobe is doing something in RAW development process as I can't replicate the default development of 48MP DNG's in any other RAW converter, even better than the default jpegs from DJI

I think the DNG's are definitely already cooked or have adjustments baked in via a profile especially the 48MP by virtue of how they are created but this is just anecdotal.
2022-7-16
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 5-18 04:30
Except for every DJI camera made since the original Phantom 4.
No DJI lens profiles have been added to Adobe Camera Raw since then.

I just checked, and you are correct. It's strange that Adobe aren't adding profiles for new models!? I've never noticed because I use Lightroom for cataloging and DxO PhotoLab for any RAW images I want to post-process.
2022-7-16
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

forbsie Posted at 7-16 17:15
I just checked, and you are correct. It's strange that Adobe aren't adding profiles for new models!? I've never noticed because I use Lightroom for cataloging and DxO PhotoLab for any RAW images I want to post-process.

How do you process Mini files in DxO PL? Do you fake the camera model?
Adobe is not supposed to add a profile for the new DJI drones. Instead, DJI includes a built-in profile in the DNGs. Adobe reads and applies it. It works for Mavic 3 and Mini 2, but not for Mini 3 Pro.
2022-7-16
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

SrMi Posted at 7-16 18:34
How do you process Mini files in DxO PL? Do you fake the camera model?
Adobe is not supposed to add a profile for the new DJI drones. Instead, DJI includes a built-in profile in the DNGs. Adobe reads and applies it. It works for Mavic 3 and Mini 2, but not for Mini 3 Pro.

Sorry if I mislead you, I was speaking in general terms, currently DxO PhotoLab (and PureRAW) are unable to work with MP3 .DNG files. However, DxO are proactive in supporting new camera/lens combinations so I would expect MP3 .DNGs will be included soon.

I have just checked and if you are really desperate you can fool DxO into thinking the RAW file was taken by a Mini 2 by changing the image's EXIF Camera Model from FC3582 to FC7303.
2022-7-16
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

forbsie Posted at 7-16 19:15
Sorry if I mislead you, I was speaking in general terms, currently DxO PhotoLab (and PureRAW) are unable to work with MP3 .DNG files. However, DxO are proactive in supporting new camera/lens combinations so I would expect MP3 .DNGs will be included soon.

I have just checked and if you are really desperate you can fool DxO into thinking the RAW file was taken by a Mini 2 by changing the image's EXIF Camera Model from FC3582 to FC7303.

Yes, that is what I read on DxO forum. I like DxO tools especially for their excellent DeePRIME, but do most of my processing in LrC.
Look forward to DxO supporting Mini 3 Pro.
2022-7-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

SrMi Posted at 7-16 19:31
Yes, that is what I read on DxO forum. I like DxO tools especially for their excellent DeePRIME, but do most of my processing in LrC.
Look forward to DxO supporting Mini 3 Pro.

Will be interesting to see, I played around with that DeePrime too a few years ago, is quite impressive, then I discovered SNS-HDR Pro and haven't gone back but it's strength isn't RAW images I usually convert to TIFF then edit in SNS-HDR if you follow right through all sliders is quite amazing what you can produce and what I really love about it is how it creates awesome B&W with very little noise unlike Nik Silver efex Pro used to...
2022-7-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules