3641 25 2022-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275390 ft
United States

Hello All,

I just ordered my Air 2s on Monday.  I ordered the  "DJI Air 2S Fly More Combo (DJI Smart Controller)" bundle.   

I havent received the order yet.  But I started really digging, and am i understanding that the "Smart Controller" doesn't use the O3 systerm?

That is what I seem to have relized, to late unfourtunalty. I have no doubt that i would still enjoy the smart controller over ther RC-N1 I am currently using on my Mini 2, but the O3 was one of the reasons i wanted to upgrade to the Air 2s.  

Pretty disapointed if this is the case.  But i guess it is what it is.

Thank you!
mcomeau
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is a bit confusing as the Air 2s is OC3 but a search for the Smart Controller brings up a discontinued item thats only OC2 yet its bundled with a OC3
2022-5-25
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-25 08:19
It is a bit confusing as the Air 2s is OC3 but a search for the Smart Controller brings up a discontinued item thats only OC2 yet its bundled with a OC3

It definitely is confusing... and massively disappointing.  I thought to myself "ok, just get the best option you can".  But seems like one of the "key features" is left out.  DJI should REALLY make that clear during the purchase and/or in the "Bundle's" description.

Thank you for the reply!
2022-5-25
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Mcomeau334, you will still be able to use the smart controller, and, I daresay you will find it much better to use than your RC-N1. (Much brighter display)!
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mcomeau334 Posted at 5-25 08:30
It definitely is confusing... and massively disappointing.  I thought to myself "ok, just get the best option you can".  But seems like one of the "key features" is left out.  DJI should REALLY make that clear during the purchase and/or in the "Bundle's" description.

Thank you for the reply!

Yep, i agree 100%, i have been toying with the idea myself, i like the idea that the controller can fly my Mini 2 and my P4P, I'm still on the fence though due to certain restrictions (poss extension to fly it) here in the UK
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Actually, i am not overly convinced it will work with my P4P, i think it might only be the P4P V2.0?
2022-5-25
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

yogi053 Posted at 5-25 08:37
Mcomeau334, you will still be able to use the smart controller, and, I daresay you will find it much better to use than your RC-N1. (Much brighter display)!

I absolutely have no doubt that it will be an enjoyable experience. I think it’s an awesome setup, which is why I went with it.  It’s just at that price point, it should be disclosed that you’re not getting the O3 system. In my opinion of course.  Though technically I am assuming it’s just O2 based on what I can find. .

Ultimately, I would have (in theory) paid a little more to get a “smart controller” that was capable of O3.
2022-5-25
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-25 08:38
Yep, i agree 100%, i have been toying with the idea myself, i like the idea that the controller can fly my Mini 2 and my P4P, I'm still on the fence though due to certain restrictions (poss extension to fly it) here in the UK

I'm hoping for the best.  I have a Mini 2 (only a couple months) and really like it.  But I plan to use it for possible real-estate jobs... having object avoidance is going to be a big plus.  

I was soooo tempted by the mini 3 though!!  But I don't post a lot on social media.  So I felt the Air 2s was the better choice.  Plus I have my Part 107 here in the states, so I have a little freedom on drone choices.  
2022-5-25
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-25 08:42
Actually, i am not overly convinced it will work with my P4P, i think it might only be the P4P V2.0?

I "think" the RC-N1 controller will work with both O2 and O3... I could be wrong.  But the Phantoms are kinda their own breed within DJI it seems.  Someone else may be able to chime in to verify.
2022-5-25
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

You would be all better off not getting hung up on Ocusncy 2 versus O3.  

DJI did make some hardware adjustments (chips and antennas) when they called things O3, but the rest of the changes are software.  The Air 2S is currently sold with the Smart Controller or the RCN1 (standard remote).  They both use similar technology and both existed before O3 existed, so they've been software upgraded to work with the O3 drones.  

The RC-Pro actually has the different chips and additional antennas (and in FCC mode it is rate for more power as well) so there might be an advantage there (although the weak link in transmission is usually the video feed from the drone first, so.....)

Waiting for a full detailed teardown, but it seems that the new "DRI-RC" that comes with the Mini 3 Pro is the same technology as the Smart Controller and RCN1 in terms of chips and antennas, so DJI does not differentiate O2 versus O3 in the controllers really in terms of hardware, only software.
2022-5-25
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 5-25 09:42
You would be all better off not getting hung up on Ocusncy 2 versus O3.  

DJI did make some hardware adjustments (chips and antennas) when they called things O3, but the rest of the changes are software.  The Air 2S is currently sold with the Smart Controller or the RCN1 (standard remote).  They both use similar technology and both existed before O3 existed, so they've been software upgraded to work with the O3 drones.  

I understand your point. While I am not losing sleep over it, it’s still the principle of it. In this particular case, DJI makes a “big deal” about the newest technology as being the best they have to offer, but we (or I guess me) are not supposed to say something or be disappointed if they don’t mention that it’s only with “select bundles”?  

My thing is they should be a little more transparent about it, that’s all. I will still enjoy it, no doubt, but I am mildly disappointed.

My analogy is this:  I work for a Mazda dealership, and a few years ago Mazda was advertising that all their cars were capable of Apple CarPlay.  Keyword, “capable”.  However, only  “certain trim packages” came with it by default, and unfortunately  the salesmen weren’t aware of this “keyword” either. So there were a TON of angry customers once they found out they needed to cough up some extra cash to get the feature working, as it was considered and “add on accessory” for their particular trim level.  Mazda did end up “stepping up” within a few months and reimbursed customers, and offered it as a free upgrade. But the damage was done for certain customer.
2022-5-25
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
United States

Mcomeau334 Posted at 5-25 11:27
I understand your point. While I am not losing sleep over it, it’s still the principle of it. In this particular case, DJI makes a “big deal” about the newest technology as being the best they have to offer, but we (or I guess me) are not supposed to say something or be disappointed if they don’t mention that it’s only with “select bundles”?  

My thing is they should be a little more transparent about it, that’s all. I will still enjoy it, no doubt, but I am mildly disappointed.

I understand your disappointment, I'm not sure I agree with your analogy.

To DJI, all the bundles are O3, and the transmission from the drone to the RC does not change among the controllers.  The only piece of hardware that is different on the RC pro at this point is the RC-Pro, and it is unknown if that hardware difference makes any real world differences, although some evidence suggests it does at least in some cases.  The other 3 controllers that work with O3 drones (R1N1, Smart Controller, DJI RC) all have similar hardware, and DJI considers them all O3.

I think a better analogy is if Mazda put a different chip in the infotainment system, and they all did the same thing, but maybe some of the models got a higher end chip so Carpaly worked a little faster in that case.  Mazda advertises them all with Carplay, they all have Carplay, just one might be a tiny bit better.

Bottom line is to DJI they ARE all O3, which is why I said not to get hung up on it.  The drone isn't dropping to Ocusync 2 if you use the Smart Controller.  It broadcasts the same no matter what controller you use.
2022-5-25
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 5-25 12:40

To DJI, all the bundles are O3, and the transmission from the drone to the RC does not change among the controllers.  The only piece of hardware that is different on the RC pro at this point is the RC-Pro, and it is unknown if that hardware difference makes any real world differences, although some evidence suggests it does at least in some cases.  The other 3 controllers that work with O3 drones (R1N1, Smart Controller, DJI RC) all have similar hardware, and DJI considers them all O3.

I guess that’s what is confusing to me with your point. Everything I’ve read states that the Smart RC is ocusync 2, and yes the air 2s is ocusync 3, but is “backwards compatible” to run on ocusync 2 controllers.

If the controller is in fact “transmitting” the O3 technology, then there isn’t an issue.  

While I understand that the “real world difference” is probably minimal at best, and I’m definitely not well versed in DJI’s ocusync technologies, but I was under the impression that they are in fact different technologies. So while yes, I’m not “losing” the O3 technology per se, it won’t be in use by the drone while using the smart controller, which runs O2.  Basically, both the drone and the controller must be communicating with the same ocusync technology to work. Therefore it wouldn’t be utilizing the ocusync 3 while using the smart RC, and would be using O2.  I very well could be wrong in that assumption.

I do understand this may be a “petty 1st world problem”, and I’m not crazy angry or bashing DJI.  Obviously I could just return it.  I just wish DJI would spell it all out a little clearer. I’m not saying I would have gone with the “standard flymore” combo, but I would have considered it for sure, had I known (if it is in fact the case) that the Smart RC isn’t ocusync 3. Just sayin.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JEZ2 Posted at 5-25 12:40

To DJI, all the bundles are O3, and the transmission from the drone to the RC does not change among the controllers.  The only piece of hardware that is different on the RC pro at this point is the RC-Pro, and it is unknown if that hardware difference makes any real world differences, although some evidence suggests it does at least in some cases.  The other 3 controllers that work with O3 drones (R1N1, Smart Controller, DJI RC) all have similar hardware, and DJI considers them all O3.

Thats just it, the bundles are not all OC3, the Smart Controller is only OC2 but bundled with an OC3 drone, the  AIr 2s. Yet none of the bumf with that bundle states that the drone will drop to OC2 because of the Smart Controller unless of course, this bundled SC is actually an upgraded version and actually has OC3, but i cannot find anything that says this, everything on DJI points to the SC being OC2?
2022-5-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mcomeau334 Posted at 5-25 13:52
I guess that’s what is confusing to me with your point. Everything I’ve read states that the Smart RC is ocusync 2, and yes the air 2s is ocusync 3, but is “backwards compatible” to run on ocusync 2 controllers.

If the controller is in fact “transmitting” the O3 technology, then there isn’t an issue.  

You might get lucky,  a lot of the bundles in the USA now come with the RC Pro controller instead of the smart controller.
2022-5-25
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-25 23:26
You might get lucky,  a lot of the bundles in the USA now come with the RC Pro controller instead of the smart controller.

That would surly be a nice surprise. I would take back all the mean things I’ve said.
2022-5-26
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-25 19:44
Thats just it, the bundles are not all OC3, the Smart Controller is only OC2 but bundled with an OC3 drone, the  AIr 2s. Yet none of the bumf with that bundle states that the drone will drop to OC2 because of the Smart Controller unless of course, this bundled SC is actually an upgraded version and actually has OC3, but i cannot find anything that says this, everything on DJI points to the SC being OC2?

That’s how I’m understanding it also. It would be nice if DJI would say. I actually opened a case, but didn’t get an answer… or I should say the answer made absolutely no sense.
2022-5-26
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
United States

So, this will be my last post on this thread, because despite what I'm saying, a few people want to disagree.

I will make it as simple as possible.

The Air 2S is labelled as 03.  It has 4 antennas and transmits video in what DJI calls its O3 video transmission system.

The Air 2S (exception noted below) has shipped with two controllers.  The R1N1, and the Smart Controller.  Both of these controllers use the same technology and they both came out before O3 existed.  The change to talk to the Air 2S is software based.  These remotes, when used with the Air 2S have the exact same specifications in terms of video resolution, frame rates, distance, etc....  There is no difference between them.  

If you think that means that the Air 2S is always Ocusync 2, then that is your choice.  But DJI uses its O3 for video transmission from the drone to the controller and both controllers shipped with the Air 2S operate the same.  

The only exception to this was that the for a few months (Seems to be gone now) DJI substituted the RC Pro for the Smart Controller in that bundle.  That happened an entire year after the Air 2S came out.  It was done due to parts shortages of the Smart Controller.  If you want to think of this solution as the only "real" O3 solution, you may, but that means the drone was never O3 to begin with because it was a full year later that this happened.  
2022-5-26
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 5-26 06:37
So, this will be my last post on this thread, because despite what I'm saying, a few people want to disagree.

Sorry if you think I’m “disagreeing with you”.  I’m really not, I’ve tried to get an explanation is all. I’ve been as clear as possible to say that I really don’t know a lot about the technology DJI uses. I really just wanted to understand. I think I do, just not 100%.

Didn’t mean to offend anyone. I actually was appreciating the dialogue.  That is what forums are for, I think anyways.

Thank you for your input.
2022-5-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JEZ2 Posted at 5-26 06:37
So, this will be my last post on this thread, because despite what I'm saying, a few people want to disagree.

If you think that means that the Air 2S is always Ocusync 2, then that is your choice.  But DJI uses its O3 for video transmission from the drone to the controller and both controllers shipped with the Air 2S operate the same.

Quite the opposite,  we are saying that when used with the Smart Controller the Air 2s drops back to O2.

The Air 2s is labelled O3, Smart Controller is labelled O2, so surely you can see why we both questioned it?

I thought that the RC-N1 controller that comes with the MM2, MM3P, A2, A2s and M3 works using O2, O3 and O3+ and will use the transmission as follows;

a. DJI Mini 2/ DJI Mavic Air 2: O2
b. DJI Air 2S / DJI Mini 3 Pro: O3
c. DJI Mavic 3: O3+

O3 works with 4 antennas as you've already said, yet on the Smart Controller, there are only 2 antennas. So yeah, I am certainly still confused by your latest answer.

BTW, I cannot find an R1N1 remote, I googled to high heaven and back, so I am assuming you meant the RC-N1
2022-5-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mcomeau334 Posted at 5-26 06:48
Sorry if you think I’m “disagreeing with you”.  I’m really not, I’ve tried to get an explanation is all. I’ve been as clear as possible to say that I really don’t know a lot about the technology DJI uses. I really just wanted to understand. I think I do, just not 100%.

Didn’t mean to offend anyone. I actually was appreciating the dialogue.  That is what forums are for, I think anyways.

I think this answers our question and also confirms what we've been saying all along..

2022-5-29
Use props
Mcomeau334
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-29 20:00
I think this answers our question and also confirms what we've been saying all along..

https://youtu.be/ps9PO8W_9Es

I watched this same video the other day!  Lol.

So, I did get my air2s in on Friday.  While I do love the whole thing as a package (the smart remote, the drone itself, filters, etc) I will say there is no increase in range, and in fact, depending on the situation, I may be a little worse than my Mini 2 with the RC-N1.

It weird, when the signal is “locked”, it’s awesome, and I’d say it takes a lot to lose the signal.  But once it does, it’s hard to get it back.

I’m flying the same areas as I did with my mini 2. So I’d say it’s a fairly “accurate real world” evaluation.

As I’ve stated, I know I’ll still enjoy it, and it’s a great set up. I just wish I knew what I was getting with the smart controller.
2022-5-30
Use props
djiuser_pewT1FKbr7Wz
New

United Kingdom

I ordered the same package but its sitting on refund at the min as i'm getting diffrent reports about weather the smart controller will get anymore updates etc, my local dealer has it listed as " end of life", which got me thinking about updates on air 2s then if nothing for SC will it still be a good package.
2022-5-31
Use props
Fwnakos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1460653 ft
Greece

Is it going to be an other firmaware update for the smart controller ? I saw the latest firmware for the RC PRO for the buttons customination and I am bit jealous ;) !!
2022-5-31
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-25 08:38
Yep, i agree 100%, i have been toying with the idea myself, i like the idea that the controller can fly my Mini 2 and my P4P, I'm still on the fence though due to certain restrictions (poss extension to fly it) here in the UK

With the changes and updates lately, if I were looking at the Smart Controller to buy, already have it,  I would go slowly.  I sure like the ease of going to fly now, versus what I had to do with the Mini4 iPad, mount, and controller coming together, still lots that don't mind that a bit.
2022-7-12
Use props
DroneGameChanger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes. The DJI Smart Controller comes with the older OcuSync.
2022-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules