5901 41 2022-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 433173 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm on the fence since I already have a Mini 2. I kind of like the screen above the sticks (e.g Mini 2 > Mini 1). Just curious as to what others are planning on using.

Single SelectVote, Total 147 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

83.67% (123)
14.97% (22)
1.36% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-5-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is the drone available with no remote or just RC-N1 bundle ?
2022-5-25
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

And another goofy poll.
Sorry, but have you followed all the other treads ?
Finally it is up to your preference and what you are most comfortable with.
2022-5-25
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-25 10:43
Is the drone available with no remote or just RC-N1 bundle ?

I think so. Here in the US, anyway.
2022-5-25
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MySky Posted at 5-25 10:44
And another goofy poll.
Sorry, but have followed all the other treads ?
Finally it is up to your preference and what you are most comfortable with.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if getting the RC with the package is worth it. I've always used a phone with the controllers.

I'm still working my way through all of the threads.
2022-5-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Skatin_Tater Posted at 5-25 10:45
I think so. Here in the US, anyway.

…………
2022-5-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-RC but I also have a RC-N1 with my Air 2 that I can use if I need more range but I doubt it with the recent reports that DJI-RC with FCC can get pretty decent range.
2022-5-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Skatin_Tater Posted at 5-25 10:47
I guess I'm just trying to figure out if getting the RC with the package is worth it. I've always used a phone with the controllers.

Not having to use your phone allows you to setup and fly faster and you won't get interruption if someone text or call you. But you'll need to be able to tether to your phone if you want real time flight map (unless you pre-load before leaving).
2022-5-25
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 5-25 10:52
Not having to use your phone allows you to setup and fly faster and you won't get interruption if someone text or call you. But you'll need to be able to tether to your phone if you want real time flight map (unless you pre-load before leaving).

Good to know! Thanks! Fortunately, the phone has no SIM card, and is strictly for UAS control (we use it at work as well).
2022-5-25
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Skatin_Tater Posted at 5-25 10:47

Some say yes, some no. I think you will never get a perfect clue.
I will be happy, if mine will finally arrive with new RC.
2022-5-25
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MySky Posted at 5-25 11:01
Some say yes, some no. I think you will never get a perfect clue.
I will be happy, if mine will finally arrive with new RC.

True. I guess that if I get the package with the Mini 3 Pro RC and don't like it, I could always fall back to the Mini 2 RC-N1.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

I'm going to go with the DJI RC-NI
  • I use a dedicated Samsung S9 so it's just always hooked up to the controller, even store it in it's Pelican like case in that way so just turn it on and away you go.
  • My Samsung S9 is 1130 Nits so a lot brighter than the DJI RC. Some reviewers have said they need shade in bright sunlight. You often do anyway but will probably get away with having to do this less often.
  • I will be able to load Litchi if a SDK is released
  • Don't need to hotspot controller for maps but can download in advance in any case. (That's if I had a SIM for the phone but I don't so hot spot in any case)

EDIT: Also if you want to use a Drone Mask or Goggles I don't think you can with the DJI RC?

2022-5-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 5-25 12:21
I'm going to go with the DJI RC-NI
I use a dedicated Samsung S9 so it's just always hooked up to the controller, even store it in it's Pelican like case in that way so just turn it on and away you go.

I hope you live in a cool climate area. most phone will heat up and dim the screen much lower than 700nits on a hot day while the DJI-RC will remain at 700 nit all the way through. It's been shown on some Youtube videos. Also, DJI-RC is going to be at least 200g lighter than the RC-N1 with a phone attached.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Wiz33 Posted at 5-25 14:35
I hope you live in a cool climate area. most phone will heat up and dim the screen much lower than 700nits on a hot day while the DJI-RC will remain at 700 nit all the way through. It's been shown on some Youtube videos. Also, DJI-RC is going to be at least 200g lighter than the RC-N1 with a phone attached.

Cheers for that been using it with the Mini 1 for over 2 years and has been really good also the Litchi thing is really pushing me.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If i was to make a choice, i would say spend the extra £100 ($100) on the DJI RC bundle, i think a controller with a screen for that price is just amazables, If you don't already have the N1 remote, then buy one off of eBay or FB for $40 (£40) then you have the best of both worlds.

FYI, Since using the Note 3 up to the Note 20 Ultra 5g (1500nits) i am yet to see the phone screen dim due to heat, i have seen people's iPhones dim though lol my only caveat is that i always start with a full battery, they may well have dimmed once it gets low, i don't know I've never let mine get low, i would assume they'd do that anyway regardless of the sun...
2022-5-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Skatin_Tater. Good day and thank you for creating this post I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have the new DJI Mini 3 Pro can share there valued insights with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Bashy Posted at 5-25 20:43
If i was to make a choice, i would say spend the extra £100 ($100) on the DJI RC bundle, i think a controller with a screen for that price is just amazables, If you don't already have the N1 remote, then buy one off of eBay or FB for $40 (£40) then you have the best of both worlds.

FYI, Since using the Note 3 up to the Note 20 Ultra 5g (1500nits) i am yet to see the phone screen dim due to heat, i have seen people's iPhones dim though lol my only caveat is that i always start with a full battery, they may well have dimmed once it gets low, i don't know I've never let mine get low, i would assume they'd do that anyway regardless of the sun...

That's a great idea. Tell me can you swap out controllers easy enough?
2022-5-25
Use props
djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1851703 ft
Australia

What's the rush to set up and you can put your phone in flight mode  no interference, and with the new rc you still need to bring your phone to connect with wifi.and you can use ipads bigger screens and 3rd party applications. In the long run I'm sticking with the rc n1  .
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 5-25 20:54
That's a great idea. Tell me can you swap out controllers easy enough?

I dont see why not once the initial pairing or binding is done, i don't think you need to go through that each time you use a different rc, i could be wrong, can someone confirm this, please?

EDIT, Apologies, i was wrong, see DAFlys reply below mine
2022-5-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-25 22:55
I dont see why not once the initial pairing or binding is done, i don't think you need to go through that each time you use a different rc, i could be wrong, can someone confirm this, please?

Yes when you swap you have to put the drone into pairing mode and re link.   Takes 30 seconds.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-25 23:31
Yes when you swap you have to put the drone into pairing mode and re link.   Takes 30 seconds.

Thanks DAFlys for confirming that, a shame but no biggie.
2022-5-26
Use props
Bill Adama
lvl.4
Flight distance : 515190 ft
United Kingdom

I bought a RC N1 off of eBay for £40 just in case ever want to use a tablet or am going to fly in an area where its challenging to get a good signal.

Best of both worlds.
2022-5-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bill Adama Posted at 5-26 00:10
I bought a RC N1 off of eBay for £40 just in case ever want to use a tablet or am going to fly in an area where its challenging to get a good signal.

Best of both worlds.

Thats what i would do if i bought this drone and got rid of my MM2, makes perfect sense
2022-5-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-26 00:06
Thanks DAFlys for confirming that, a shame but no biggie.

No probs Bashy.  
2022-5-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skatin_Tater Posted at 5-25 11:37
True. I guess that if I get the package with the Mini 3 Pro RC and don't like it, I could always fall back to the Mini 2 RC-N1.

That's a good plan.    However, I think you will like the RC screened much better once you get it.  I know when I got the DJI RC Pro to use with my Air 2S it was so convenient to not have to attach my mobile device, etc.  Can't prove it but I seem to get better connectivity with it than I did with the standard remote.  
2022-5-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-26 02:46
That's a good plan.    However, I think you will like the RC screened much better once you get it.  I know when I got the DJI RC Pro to use with my Air 2S it was so convenient to not have to attach my mobile device, etc.  Can't prove it but I seem to get better connectivity with it than I did with the standard remote.

That RC Pro is really sommat, I have toyed with the idea of the Air 2s and the RC Pro, its a lot of bucks though that's for sure, not sure i can justify it for just a hobby, would be better if it worked with the Mini 2 and P4P, then i would be very interested... As it stands, the Air 2s has a Smart controller bundle and that's not great as it reduces the Air 2s to OC2
2022-5-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-26 03:47
That RC Pro is really sommat, I have toyed with the idea of the Air 2s and the RC Pro, its a lot of bucks though that's for sure, not sure i can justify it for just a hobby, would be better if it worked with the Mini 2 and P4P, then i would be very interested... As it stands, the Air 2s has a Smart controller bundle and that's not great as it reduces the Air 2s to OC2

Yeah, I just got lucky as DJI had a shortage of Smart Controllers at the time and they included the DJI RC Pro instead in the bundle with the Air 2S.  Sweet deal for sure.  
2022-5-26
Use props
djiuser_12bp0qCJM8jY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 238773 ft
Australia

I have the RC which at only $180 AUD more than NC1 seemed like a bargain and since I already have a mini 2 with NC1 and the M3P isn't available yet as stand alone drone, also seemed like the smart option. Definitely easier to see compared to phone screen and I like the dual scroll wheels and C1/C2 buttons. My only issue is that unless you hotspot it to your phone, the RTH doesn't update ( I found this out the hard way) Still waiting for fly more combo which is apparently taking a month longer than the drone to reach retailers
2022-5-26
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

djiuser_12bp0qCJM8jY Posted at 5-26 23:07
I have the RC which at only $180 AUD more than NC1 seemed like a bargain and since I already have a mini 2 with NC1 and the M3P isn't available yet as stand alone drone, also seemed like the smart option. Definitely easier to see compared to phone screen and I like the dual scroll wheels and C1/C2 buttons. My only issue is that unless you hotspot it to your phone, the RTH doesn't update ( I found this out the hard way) Still waiting for fly more combo which is apparently taking a month longer than the drone to reach retailers

Despite all of the advantages of the RC over the RC-N1, I opted for the N1, main reason being having to hotpot to your phone. Even though you don't need your phone, you actually do need your phone.

Question for everyone who has the RC:
Can you preload the maps beforehand or will it have to update at your current location at the current time?
Does the wifi reconnect automatically when you turn on/off the controller?
Does the RC store the cache video files (lower res) on the RC so you can preview it?
2022-6-23
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Skatin_Tater Posted at 5-25 10:57
Good to know! Thanks! Fortunately, the phone has no SIM card, and is strictly for UAS control (we use it at work as well).

Hi Skatin,

I wanted to ask you what cell phone / provider are you using for UAS / drone control , which is also without a SIM card it seems. I have a very aged, barely supported Iphone 6s for my drones, which is about to get dropped by both Apple (if not already) and I think DJI has recently dropped it from recommended / officially supported devices. I am having slowness when using my phone as display for my drone, video lagging and warnings about phone CPU getting overloaded as the phone is really old. I am looking for a new budget phone to replace this one that I could use for my drones and came across your thread, wanted to ask you if you are using some decent  and maybe not expensive phone / cellular provider for drone control especially you mentioned it has no SIM card.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
2022-6-27
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-27 13:53
Hi Skatin,

I wanted to ask you what cell phone / provider are you using for UAS / drone control , which is also without a SIM card it seems. I have a very aged, barely supported Iphone 6s for my drones, which is about to get dropped by both Apple (if not already) and I think DJI has recently dropped it from recommended / officially supported devices. I am having slowness when using my phone as display for my drone, video lagging and warnings about phone CPU getting overloaded as the phone is really old. I am looking for a new budget phone to replace this one that I could use for my drones and came across your thread, wanted to ask you if you are using some decent  and maybe not expensive phone / cellular provider for drone control especially you mentioned it has no SIM card.

I'm using an iPhone 11. I originally wanted just an iPod Touch, but they don't have GPS.
2022-6-27
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Skatin_Tater Posted at 6-27 13:56
I'm using an iPhone 11. I originally wanted just an iPod Touch, but they don't have GPS.

Ah I see got it thank you. I remember now they have virtual SIM or something like that, I guess maybe they could be used w/o a SIM card, I think Verizon supports it , maybe other providers too... I think I need to start looking on Ebay for some used / refurbished Iphone X or later as earlier ones imho would probably get discontinued soon just like my old Iphone 6s is getting discontinued / dropped from support by everyone.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-6-27
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-27 14:02
Ah I see got it thank you. I remember now they have virtual SIM or something like that, I guess maybe they could be used w/o a SIM card, I think Verizon supports it , maybe other providers too... I think I need to start looking on Ebay for some used / refurbished Iphone X or later as earlier ones imho would probably get discontinued soon just like my old Iphone 6s is getting discontinued / dropped from support by everyone.

Thanks, Mike.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, the iPhone doesn't have a SIM card, but I use my Android phone as a hot spot so the iPhone can connect to it. Way too complicated, I know...
2022-6-27
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Skatin_Tater Posted at 6-27 14:04
Sorry, I forgot to mention, the iPhone doesn't have a SIM card, but I use my Android phone as a hot spot so the iPhone can connect to it. Way too complicated, I know...

Nw that sounds interesting Skatin , I see now why you wanted to use an Ipod.   Thank you for sharing you gave me a good idea, I might just get a phone w/o connecting it to provider and tether it to my primary phone like you do
2022-6-27
Use props
djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1851703 ft
Australia

djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux Posted at 5-25 22:51
What's the rush to set up and you can put your phone in flight mode  no interference, and with the new rc you still need to bring your phone to connect with wifi.and you can use ipads bigger screens and 3rd party applications. In the long run I'm sticking with the rc n1  .

I'm hearing you I'm staying with a RC n1 coz I no ot works well, and for those who are wanting the New control for convenience it's just lazy, and you still need to use your phone with the new controller to tap into the WiFi.so rcn1 hands down
2022-6-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 5-26 03:47

Air 2s has a Smart controller bundle and that's not great as it reduces the Air 2s to OC2

This is not correct. The Air2s is also limited to O2 with the N1 controller.

It's in the detailed specs. RC N1 limited to O2.
2022-6-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 6-28 03:04
Air 2s has a Smart controller bundle and that's not great as it reduces the Air 2s to OC2

This is not correct. The Air2s is also limited to O2 with the N1 controller.

Makes no sense, the Air 2s is O3 now, so if the Smart Controller cant provide O2 then surely the N1 that is O3, should use the Air 2s O3, no?
2022-6-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

O2 or O3 is just all marketing hype it is Just 2.4 or 5.8 GHz
2022-6-28
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 6-28 07:56
Makes no sense, the Air 2s is O3 now, so if the Smart Controller cant provide O2 then surely the N1 that is O3, should use the Air 2s O3, no?

Sorry, I should have said Air 2 not the S. But the post below yours is Correct its just marketing of certain functionality there is no O, O2, O3 O3+.

Its what DJI want them to be to differentiate product. Like sticking X and XL or GT or GTR badge on a car.

From the DJI site Spec
Remote Controller Transmission System
When used with different aircraft hardware configurations, DJI RC-N1 Remote Controllers will automatically select the corresponding firmware version for updating and support the following transmission technologies enabled by the hardware performance of the linked aircraft models:
a. DJI Mini 2/ DJI Mavic Air 2: O2
b. DJI Air 2S: O3
c. DJI Mavic 3: O3+

The DJi FPV drone is also marketed as O3+ but totally incompatible with Mavic 3 O3+

2022-7-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry, i should have been clearer, i was only differentiating between the 2, the 2.4 and 5.8ghz is a give away for it being wifi
2022-7-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules