MINI 3 PRO - RC CHARGING INDICATORS FLASHING TOO FAST
20506 23 2022-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
1A1
lvl.1
Australia

In need of some help please from other new Mini 3 Pro owners! Straight out of the box, the RC controller is not charging right. Using the provided USB cable in the box, I am connecting to my MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro Max laptop and the RC flashing lights go crazy wild just flashing fast. The first few times it flashes regular speed like it is meant to, and then it speeds up and just keeps doing it. It doesn't show an indication the way it's meant to of how charged it is by how many dots are lighting up solid, it just goes on flashing fast. But it does charge because when I test how charged up it is it says it's full. And then no lights, nothing when I plug it in.

The drone itself though when connected the same way, flashed nicely and slowly and normally. And indicates how much is charged.

Does anyone know why it's doing this and what's wrong. I have read that some people said activating it and updating firmware fixes the problem but it doesn't. I've done both. I've also tried different cables, and same thing. I also tried using my iPad plug with the USB to charge straight in the wall and same thing happens on each device (drone is fine, RC not).

This is the RC and what it looks like when I plug it in.

https://youtube.com/shorts/R3b5L032Aug?feature=share

Thanks in advance!
2022-5-27
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Already discussed here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=265494
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charge it with a charger not from a laptop.
2022-5-28
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 06:29
Charge it with a charger not from a laptop.

Doesn't matter will be the same.
2022-5-28
Use props
1A1
lvl.1
Australia

MySky Posted at 5-28 11:27

Thanks! I read that feed but still doesn't seem to have a solid answer - is it normal? Something about it just seems not right - you sure it's normal? I don't have a charger as the Fly More Kit's have not arrived in Australia yet. So with my Mini 2 I could charge with the wall and didn't have issues but I also didn't have the RC controller. What's the best way for me to charge it then? I used my iPad wall charger with the usb C cord and it charged fast, flashing fast but when it got fully charged all lights went off. Rather than having 4 solid dots there showing it's charged like the drone does? It makes me feel like somethings off about it?
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1A1 Posted at 5-28 22:05
Thanks! I read that feed but still doesn't seem to have a solid answer - is it normal? Something about it just seems not right - you sure it's normal? I don't have a charger as the Fly More Kit's have not arrived in Australia yet. So with my Mini 2 I could charge with the wall and didn't have issues but I also didn't have the RC controller. What's the best way for me to charge it then? I used my iPad wall charger with the usb C cord and it charged fast, flashing fast but when it got fully charged all lights went off. Rather than having 4 solid dots there showing it's charged like the drone does? It makes me feel like somethings off about it?

There is no charger in the fly more kits just the hub. You need to buy a decent wall charger Amazon will certainly have one
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1A1 Posted at 5-28 22:05

There is no charger in the fly more kits just the hub. You need to buy a decent wall charger Amazon will certainly have one
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MySky Posted at 5-28 11:27

Not sure that is correct
2022-5-28
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 22:17
Not sure that is correct

I've tried already with the iPad wall charger for USB C. And it still did it. Also when fully charged it just went blank no lights rather than full 4 solid green lights like the drone does.
2022-5-28
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 22:16
There is no charger in the fly more kits just the hub. You need to buy a decent wall charger Amazon will certainly have one

Ok thanks for the heads up.
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Av1vA Posted at 5-28 22:32
I've tried already with the iPad wall charger for USB C. And it still did it. Also when fully charged it just went blank no lights rather than full 4 solid green lights like the drone does.

The normal state for the RC when charged is all lights off, opposite to the drone…. Odd I know

Also if the RC is charged and you plug it in again nothing happens ie no lights light up

I think your RC sounds ok to me
2022-5-28
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 22:40
The normal state for the RC when charged is all lights off, opposite to the drone…. Odd I know

Also if the RC is charged and you plug it in again nothing happens ie no lights light up

LOL. Yes that is odd. Confusing for the consumer when it's different. But good to know yours is the same. Have you confirmed all this with DJI that it's normal or you just think it is based on. your own use?
It just felt so wrong/not normal to be behaving the way it is.

Does yours flash super fast too when charging? You'd think the USB C cord they give with it would charge it at a normal pace. I'm just trying to work out the best way to charge it without buying a wall charger for it.
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Av1vA Posted at 5-28 22:43
LOL. Yes that is odd. Confusing for the consumer when it's different. But good to know yours is the same. Have you confirmed all this with DJI that it's normal or you just think it is based on. your own use?

There was a thread on here where DJI posted the light status and indeed the RC is all of when charged and the drone is all on

I have not used the DJI wire as I have several chargers around the house that I use for other stuff. Some slow and some fast bet the power end on mine are all USB A . USB c to usb c might give different light flashes

I know it is more money but I think you need to buy a wall charger from Amazon the Ankara ones seem good
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Av1vA Posted at 5-28 22:43
LOL. Yes that is odd. Confusing for the consumer when it's different. But good to know yours is the same. Have you confirmed all this with DJI that it's normal or you just think it is based on. your own use?

There was a thread on here where DJI posted the light status and indeed the RC is all of when charged and the drone is all on

I have not used the DJI wire as I have several chargers around the house that I use for other stuff. Some slow and some fast bet the power end on mine are all USB A . USB c to usb c might give different light flashes

I know it is more money but I think you need to buy a wall charger from Amazon the Anker ones seem good
2022-5-28
Use props
Av1vA
lvl.1
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 22:51

Thanks. Yeah makes sense. I just am annoyed that @dji  provide a RC controller basically without a cord that charges it correctly (potentially without ruining the batteries if you use the usb c. They should be including both usb c to c and usb c to a with one labelled drone and one labelled RC if our/your theory is correct. Its not good.
2022-5-28
Use props
windy3501
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5417 ft
United Kingdom

can anyone tell me what it means when the two middle status lights on the hub (and when in the drone) are lit solid?
2022-12-11
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2007070 ft
Canada

Av1vA Posted at 5-28 23:17
Thanks. Yeah makes sense. I just am annoyed that @dji  provide a RC controller basically without a cord that charges it correctly (potentially without ruining the batteries if you use the usb c. They should be including both usb c to c and usb c to a with one labelled drone and one labelled RC if our/your theory is correct. Its not good.

Hi.
You will not ruin the batteries by using USB C to C PD protocol high output charger. The RC will only allow a maximum input to keep the batteries healthy. Below is what I have measured with my power tester
Using a 67W PD / 18W QC wall charger 67watt wall charger Amazon.ca
Product: 67W PD 2-Port GaN Wall Charger

Mode: TV-PC005

Input: 100-240V~ 50/60Hz 2.5A Max

PD Output: 5V⎓3A, 9V⎓3A, 12V⎓3A, 15V⎓3A, 20.0V⎓3.25A, 20.3V⎓3.3A, 67W Max.

QC Output: 5V⎓3A, 9V⎓2A, 12V⎓1.5A, 18W Max.

PD+QC Output: PD 45.0W (5.0V⎓3.0A, 9.0V⎓3.0A, 12.0V⎓3.0A, 15.0V⎓3.0A,

20.0V⎓2.25A) + QC 12.0W (5.0V⎓2.4A) 57.0W Max.

Total Output: 67W Max
When using the USB C to C PD output and the RC controller power off the power flow is 14.8 watts ( 5.3 volts at 2.8 amps) and the lights flash fast. Fast flashing lights indicate you have a high output charger connected but the RC is only allowing a certain amount in.
When using the USB A to C QC port the and the RC controller power turned off the power flow is 11.78 watts ( 5.19 volts at 2.27 amps) and the lights flash slower.

You can also charge the RC while it is turned on which is useful in the field to recharge while you are flying if you have a power bank . With the controller turned on the charge rate is around 5 watts and I assume the rest is used to power the operation of the controller.

Also be aware the drone  ( M3P, have not tested others) and the charging hub have different maximum rates of charging the batteries and also limit the power going in. Best speed charging rate will be with a charger that has a 12 volt protocol but it will also use 9 volt if the charger doesn't have 12v but the maximum rate will be slower at 9v.
Drone will charge the batteries at a max rate of 30watts if the charger has a 12v protocol and the charging hub will charge at a max rate of 36 watts with a 12 volt protocol. The charger I linked above will charge the drone batteries at the max rate either in the drone or the charging hub and will charge the controller at the same time at 12w.
I also use this power bank  to charge when out in the field and it works well to charge both the drone batteries and the RC.

2022-12-11
Use props
djiuser_KPd1D4xXABUi
New

United Kingdom

i have just brought the mini 3 the RC controller has been charging for about 3 hours and is still single flashing green does anyone know what this means as the controller is about to take flight never mind the drone
2023-6-26
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_KPd1D4xXABUi Posted at 6-26 11:06
i have just brought the mini 3 the RC controller has been charging for about 3 hours and is still single flashing green does anyone know what this means as the controller is about to take flight never mind the drone

This is almost always because of the USB charger and/or cord you are using. If the charger is not powerful enough it will take a LONG time and conversely, if the cable is not able to handle the required amps/voltage, it will be very slow as well. What USB charger and cable are you using?
2023-6-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_KPd1D4xXABUi Posted at 6-26 11:06

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please try to use a different USB charging cable to charge your RC and check if the issue persists? Please let us know if you still experience the said issue. Thank you.
2023-7-2
Use props
djiuser_x1Kd5ctuupS1
New

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-2 02:46
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please try to use a different USB charging cable to charge your RC and check if the issue persists? Please let us know if you still experience the said issue. Thank you.

Hi there i have just perchased a mini 3 and its flashing like mad on the controller , i have tried 2 different wires and still the same thing
2023-7-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_x1Kd5ctuupS1 Posted at 7-5 12:54
Hi there i have just perchased a mini 3 and its flashing like mad on the controller , i have tried 2 different wires and still the same thing

Hi there. Sorry for the trouble. Can you please send us a short video showing the behavior of your remote controller so we can check? Did you receive an error message on the DJI Fly app? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-7-7
Use props
b4bylon
lvl.1

Romania

MRDroneRookie Posted at 2022-12-11 08:37
Hi.
You will not ruin the batteries by using USB C to C PD protocol high output charger. The RC will only allow a maximum input to keep the batteries healthy. Below is what I have measured with my power tester
Using a 67W PD / 18W QC wall charger 67watt wall charger Amazon.caProduct: 67W PD 2-Port GaN Wall Charger  Mode: TV-PC005  Input: 100-240V~ 50/60Hz 2.5A Max  PD Output: 5V⎓3A, 9V⎓3A, 12V⎓3A, 15V⎓3A, 20.0V⎓3.25A, 20.3V⎓3.3A, 67W Max.  QC Output: 5V⎓3A, 9V⎓2A, 12V⎓1.5A, 18W Max.  PD+QC Output: PD 45.0W (5.0V⎓3.0A, 9.0V⎓3.0A, 12.0V⎓3.0A, 15.0V⎓3.0A,  20.0V⎓2.25A) + QC 12.0W (5.0V⎓2.4A) 57.0W Max.  Total Output: 67W MaxWhen using the USB C to C PD output and the RC controller power off the power flow is 14.8 watts ( 5.3 volts at 2.8 amps) and the lights flash fast. Fast flashing lights indicate you have a high output charger connected but the RC is only allowing a certain amount in.

can you tell us what power bank are you using? Thanks!
2023-7-7
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2007070 ft
Canada

b4bylon Posted at 7-7 16:53
can you tell us what power bank are you using? Thanks!

https://www.amazon.ca/Charger-TO ... /dp/B09QPKK5Z4?th=1
2023-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules