DJI Smart Controller display turns off.
3210 23 2022-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pieterbot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358123 ft
Belgium

I was wondering if any of you, with a DJI smart controller for the Mini 3 pro, had the same issue:

When I fly, the screen on the smart controller randomly/suddenly turns off. I can still control the aircraft, so all the controls work, except the screen is black. This occurs for a duration of about 10 seconds. This has happened to me a couple of times in the 3 hours I have already flown it. When the screen comes back to life it isn't right away in the menu where it was when it turned off, the camera view. Instead it's in the main menu, where you come when you start the app, for 3 secs and then goes in the camera view automatically. It's not a huge problem, because the controls still work, but obviously it's not handy when you're shooting and suddenly you lose a visual of what the camera sees.

Thoughts?

Pieter

EDIT: I think the right name for the controller is just "RC", it's the one you get when you buy the more expensive bundle. FYI: I dowloaded the update for the controller yesterday, but the problem was not fixed with that update.
  • DJI RC Remote Controller Firmware: v01.00.0200
  • DJI Fly App Android: v1.6.1
  • DJI AC firmware: v01.00.0100
2022-5-28
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

How warm is the ambient temperature, I've heard of it rebooting if it overheat. Are you using screen recording at the time? If you're, turn it off and see if it still does it? Maybe Re-install the firmware using DJI Assistant 2
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When this happens how far away is the drone and where is it relative to you.... Is it behind you for example.
It sounds like you might be getting loss of camera feed rather than the screen turning off
2022-5-28
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 06:37
When this happens how far away is the drone and where is it relative to you.... Is it behind you for example.
It sounds like you might be getting loss of camera rather than the screen turning off

But it should not come back on a different screen (main menu).
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 5-28 06:39
But it should not come back on a different screen (main menu).

True........
2022-5-28
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Belgium

Wiz33 Posted at 5-28 06:36
How warm is the ambient temperature, I've heard of it rebooting if it overheat. Are you using screen recording at the time? If you're, turn it off and see if it still does it? Maybe Re-install the firmware using DJI Assistant 2

I'm refreshing the firmware right now. I do not screenrecord and the controller didn't really get warm so I'll see if the refreshing helps.
2022-5-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

pieterbot Posted at 5-28 06:42
I'm refreshing the firmware right now. I do not screenrecord and the controller didn't really get warm so I'll see if the refreshing helps.

If problem continues, send it in for repair / replacement.
2022-5-28
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Belgium

I got a little update on the issue. I went out flying again and the screen turned off again, after refreshing the DJI RC firmware. However I noticed that the screen doesn't go pitch black but stays on (looks like it's still on and just displaying black, but of course not as pitch black as when the screen doesn't have any power). Any thoughts?
Will my guarantee expire when I keep using it in the current state, knowing it's broken? I'm leaving on a trip in about a month so I don't want to be in the situation where I have to leave without the drone. I can imagine that if I ask for a replacement it will take some time because the drone is quite a hot product right now.

Pieter
2022-5-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pieterbot Posted at 5-28 13:24
I got a little update on the issue. I went out flying again and the screen turned off again, after refreshing the DJI RC firmware. However I noticed that the screen doesn't go pitch black but stays on (looks like it's still on and just displaying black, but of course not as pitch black as when the screen doesn't have any power). Any thoughts?
Will my guarantee expire when I keep using it in the current state, knowing it's broken? I'm leaving on a trip in about a month so I don't want to be in the situation where I have to leave without the drone. I can imagine that if I ask for a replacement it will take some time because the drone is quite a hot product right now.

Are you sure it is not a video disconnect how far away is the drone when this is happening
2022-5-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This issue is also being talked about on FB so not limited to yourself, not very reassuring for you mind so hopefully its a FW issue and will be resolved soon
2022-5-28
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Belgium

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 23:30
Are you sure it is not a video disconnect how far away is the drone when this is happening

Not far, a couple hundred meters. The controller said I had strong signal.
2022-5-28
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Belgium

Bashy Posted at 5-28 23:31
This issue is also being talked about on FB so not limited to yourself, not very reassuring for you mind so hopefully its a FW issue and will be resolved soon

Ok that's somewhat reassuring, knowing that I'm not alone. For what stands FB?
2022-5-28
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-28 23:30

If that was the case then you would surely still get the overlay?
2022-5-28
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Belgium

RalUK Posted at 5-28 23:39
If that was the case then you would surely still get the overlay?

Yes, I would think so too.
2022-5-28
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

pieterbot Posted at 5-28 13:24
I got a little update on the issue. I went out flying again and the screen turned off again, after refreshing the DJI RC firmware. However I noticed that the screen doesn't go pitch black but stays on (looks like it's still on and just displaying black, but of course not as pitch black as when the screen doesn't have any power). Any thoughts?
Will my guarantee expire when I keep using it in the current state, knowing it's broken? I'm leaving on a trip in about a month so I don't want to be in the situation where I have to leave without the drone. I can imagine that if I ask for a replacement it will take some time because the drone is quite a hot product right now.

Sounds like the backlight is still working so this is possibly the video connection to the LCD. Does this happen only when flying?
2022-5-28
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Belgium

RalUK Posted at 5-28 23:41
Sounds like the backlight is still working so this is possibly the video connection to the LCD. Does this happen only when flying?

So far, yes. But the controller hasn't been on a long time while not flying.
2022-5-28
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

pieterbot Posted at 5-28 23:37
Ok that's somewhat reassuring, knowing that I'm not alone. For what stands FB?

FB is FaceBook
2022-5-28
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Belgium

Yeah, I realised that was a dumb question. Do you have a link to the article or forum, I can't find it?
2022-5-28
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

I had such incident [maybe twice] - it was RCU software being junky. Prior to that the UI was getting slow. Installed DJI Assistant 2 and reinstalled RCU firmware - no such issues since but i think i had to recalibrate RCU compass.
2022-5-29
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pieterbot Posted at 5-28 23:36
Not far, a couple hundred meters. The controller said I had strong signal.

Ok it is not that then. I fear you might have a genuine issue. Perhaps open a ticket with DJI or go back to where you bought it.... Neither tend to be much fun unfortunatly
2022-5-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pieterbot Posted at 5-28 23:59
Yeah, I realised that was a dumb question. Do you have a link to the article or forum, I can't find it?

HI, like I said, it's on FB, not the forum, not sure if you need to be a member but this is an unofficial Mini 3 Pro group so prob good for all to join...

This is the topic in question, Mr Hunter Haopeng Chen from the Official DJI groups is in this group too

2022-5-29
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

pieterbot Posted at 5-28 23:59

There is a Mini 3 FaceBook group but I am not a member of it.  Hopefully someone on here that is can answer your question.
2022-5-29
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Belgium

Went out flying today and my screen turned off again, twice. What's interesting is that both occurrences happened 2/3 into the flight. When I touched the DJI RC, it was pretty hot. My estimate would be around 40 degrees Celcius. Could the overheating of the controller/display be linked with the display turning off for safety reasons?
2022-6-4
Use props
Kuantou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2987507 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Yeah this just happened to me flying a mavic 3. Got really scared and put RTH. The screen turned off is not a video signal off all the indicators everything is black. But it seemed it restarted and all normal. It was not hot. Will be aware from now on. Hope it was just a minor thing.
2022-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules