Correct battery care
1620 13 2022-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

I was watching a Youtube today and the presenter said to always leave your batteries flat after a flight until you need to go flying and then you charge them. I normally have my battery percentage down to 10% when having completed a flight. Surely its not a good idea to leave for an extended period of time at 10%? I normally charge my batteries and leave them and let their self discharge process slowly bring them down if not used in a few days.

What do you do?
2022-5-29
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don’t the DJI Batteries have smart technology built it so they start to discharge to a certain percentage when not used for a few days?
2022-5-29
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quote" intelligent battery can manage the charging and discharging process, and it is also able to automatically discharge. The battery will auto discharge to around 65% if the battery level is more than 65% and it is idle for more than 10 days (users can set the exact time themselves"
2022-5-29
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Same here.
Flight batteries (LiPo) schould be stored between 60% to 70%.
The RC battery (Li-Io) can be stored fully charged.
Both should be checked every 2-3 month and recharged to storage level if it has droped below.
Storing depleted batteries is an urban legend from the old days where NiCad and older type rechargeble  batteries were used and even at that times it was not true, because of batteries will discharge them self over a long time and will be damged after deepcharge.
2022-5-29
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Exib Posted at 5-29 02:00
Quote" intelligent battery can manage the charging and discharging process, and it is also able to automatically discharge. The battery will auto discharge to around 65% if the battery level is more than 65% and it is idle for more than 10 days (users can set the exact time themselves"

The intelligent flight batteries will discharge to approx. 95% after 24 hours.
After 9 days they will discharge to approx. 70%.
The discharge time cannot be set manually by the pilot for all newer drones using the FlyApp.
2022-5-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. To maintain the battery's health, we suggest storing the battery at 40~65% power if it will not be used for more than 10 days. Totally discharge and charge the battery at least once every 3 months.
2022-5-29
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

Thanks for the replies. I just checked DJI Fly app and it looks like the settings for choosing battery discharge delay are now non existent.
2022-5-29
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 5-29 02:14
Thanks for the replies. I just checked DJI Fly app and it looks like the settings for choosing battery discharge delay are now non existent.

They must have removed the ability from these batteries to self discharge

Don’t believe they mentioned that in their launch videos
2022-5-29
Use props
djiuser_cY06wRgDpBX0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246729 ft
Slovenia

Do the batteries automatically discharge even if left inside a drone or in charger, or should we pull them out if not intended to use for some days?
2022-5-29
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

I have noticed my mavic air 2 seems to allow the battery to discharge overtime when installed.
2022-5-29
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

Exib Posted at 5-29 02:20
They must have removed the ability from these batteries to self discharge

Don’t believe they mentioned that in their launch videos

I know they still self discharge, they have just removed the option to change how many days before it begins the cycle.
2022-5-29
Use props
nOxxxx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

From my point of view, and I know these batteries well, it is optimal to discharge to about 26-32%. Within this range, the voltage will automatically revert to the cell's rated voltage when the load drops during flight. For Lipoly HV cells it is 3.85V. For these new NMC cells in the mini 3 pro, the nominal voltage is slightly lower, around 3.69V. An additional bonus for discharging to the above-mentioned range is that the charge counter will not increase. This will happen at 25%. The above procedure is okay when I intend to fly in the next 30 days. If I'm not flying at that time, I choose the storage option to around 50%. Storage is better for longer storage. If I discharge the batteries to 10-20%, I start charging the same day. If in the 0-10% range, I start charging while still in the field with the powerbank to about 30% as soon as they cool down.
2022-5-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

nOxxxx Posted at 5-29 03:08
From my point of view, and I know these batteries well, it is optimal to discharge to about 26-32%. Within this range, the voltage will automatically revert to the cell's rated voltage when the load drops during flight. For Lipoly HV cells it is 3.85V. For these new NMC cells in the mini 3 pro, the nominal voltage is slightly lower, around 3.69V. An additional bonus for discharging to the above-mentioned range is that the charge counter will not increase. This will happen at 25%. The above procedure is okay when I intend to fly in the next 30 days. If I'm not flying at that time, I choose the storage option to around 50%. Storage is better for longer storage. If I discharge the batteries to 10-20%, I start charging the same day. If in the 0-10% range, I start charging while still in the field with the powerbank to about 30% as soon as they cool down.

Good to know.    Thanks.
2022-5-29
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 5-29 02:14

This is another yet to be delivered function on the DJI Fly app. DJI Go4 had this feature.

It's yet another example of how DJI Fly is lagging functionality from DJI Go4.
2022-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules