First flight! (also a question about video)
956 9 2022-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shushu in Suwon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4232 ft
South Korea

Here's a video of my first flight. I've never flown a drone before and was just trying to figure out how to do things with it.......so it might be a bit dizzying. Please feel free to point out any other weird stuff I did with the color or whatever. I'm a newbie, so I expect to suck.

I'm curious about why some sections seem really choppy. I shot in 24fps at 4k for most of it. The slow motion stuff was 60fps slowed down to 24fps. Any advice would be appreciated.

p.s. Youtube is still processing the 4k version. Anyway...I'm going to take it down after I get some feedback.

2022-5-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Shushu in Suwon. Good day and thank you for sharing this first aerial video that you have filmed using your DJI Mini 3 Pro. Nicely done and keep flying.
2022-5-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You certainly seem to have mastered the handling of the drone very quickly. Congratulations.
Did you have any connectivity issues whilst flying over the treetops?
Maybe during editing your footage you could increase the colour depth (intensity) a little.
Otherwise - nice job.
2022-5-29
Use props
Shushu in Suwon
lvl.2
South Korea

Blériot53 Posted at 5-29 22:35
You certainly seem to have mastered the handling of the drone very quickly. Congratulations.
Did you have any connectivity issues whilst flying over the treetops?
Maybe during editing your footage you could increase the colour depth (intensity) a little.

I lost connectivity once at around 280m away and it started auto returning to home. I was a bit scared to take it out past that again. I'm sure it'll come back when it loses connection...but what if it doesn't? I was a bit paranoid about losing the thing since that whole area is kind of inaccessible.

I've been reading about the connection issues and I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me. I am a bit disappointed, but I hope they can fix it eventually.
2022-5-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shushu in Suwon Posted at 5-29 22:40
I lost connectivity once at around 280m away and it started auto returning to home. I was a bit scared to take it out past that again. I'm sure it'll come back when it loses connection...but what if it doesn't? I was a bit paranoid about losing the thing since that whole area is kind of inaccessible.

I've been reading about the connection issues and I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me. I am a bit disappointed, but I hope they can fix it eventually.

The issue there is probably the trees screening the signal. So long as you have your home point established, sufficient satellites locked to ensure take-off, and your RTH altitude set higher than the highest trees, your drone should come safely back to the take-off point if you lose signal.
Try flying somewhere in an open space, with no sources of electrical interference and I'm sure your drone will achieve greater distance from the take-off point (Don't forget about VLOS - don't lose sight of your drone)  Enjoy.
2022-5-29
Use props
TiberiusMars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65075 ft
Canada

That's awesome! I am a beginner myself, but my guess about some sections looking choppy is that there is little motion blur despite low framerate (24?). Am I correct to assume you are not using ND filters and if so would you say that would make the difference you are looking for?
2022-5-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on getting the Mini3P.    Nice job for your first aerial video.  

Looking at the trees in the video that could be the cause of your signal degradation and also loss of connectivity.  
2022-5-30
Use props
Checki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17110 ft
Germany

Use ND filters and the video won’t stutter.
2022-5-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video.
The stuttering comes from too fast movements in relation to the 'change between frames'.
So every frame has too much 'difference' and the video is perceived as 'stuttery'.
Some options you have (in order of how I would implement them)
- Shoot faster framerates.
The more frames, the less 'difference' between the frames, the less stuttery.
- Move SLOW.
Again, less difference between frames = less stuttery video.
Also this usually leads to 'smooth' footage (like smooth motion).
- If these 2 are not an option:
Get ND filters.
This will allow you to introduce some motion blur, which the brain perceives as 'less stuttery'.
Now this is not something that is 'drone related'. But with a drone you can get consistent movement that you probably won't get with a hand held camera. (that is moved by hand).
So it enhances the stuttering since the moves are big and consistent.
2022-5-31
Use props
Shushu in Suwon
lvl.2
South Korea

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I figured out the reason after learning more about Davinci Resolve. I was shooting 4K at 60fps. I set the timeline to 24fps, and that's what caused the stutter as far as I'm aware.
2022-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules