Charger DJI Mini 3 with 61W power supply
13228 16 2022-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_h5aTimjbzDYa
lvl.1

Switzerland

Dear all,
I have tried to find a response to my question without any success yet.
Is it possible to charge the Mini 3 Pro using my Macbook Pro 61W power supply?
I have read that is possible as the device will only use 30W if needed, but I have also read that the Voltage may damage the battery on the long run.

I just received my Mini 3, but I cannot order the 30W adapter from DJI due to delay, so I am trying to figure out what are the alternatives.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration
Best,
++
2022-6-2
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34413 ft
Canada

Yes. You can charge your drone with any wattage of power supply as long as it doesn't exceed 12volts(hint: Only very specialized chargers do). Your device is what determines how many watts it pulls from the charger so it will only pull what it's capable of doing
2022-6-2
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I've used my 96W MacBook charger and both a 65W & 20W Anker charger on the batteries and controller. All work fine, albeit slightly slower with the 20W.
2022-6-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mini 3 Pro and uses this charger can give out the best recommendation and information with regards to this matter.  For reference kindly please check the DJI Mini 3 Pro's intelligent flight battery recommended charger's specifications below. Thank you.

2022-6-2
Use props
JMCANZO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 305581 ft
United States

can you charge with this charger??
https://www.amazon.com/Type-C-Ch ... id=pla-732217045586
2022-6-5
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

I have used My Macbook charger and its ok, I also use my iPad Pro charger and its just as effective.
2022-6-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JMCANZO Posted at 6-5 17:13
can you charge with this charger??
https://www.amazon.com/Type-C-Charger-Laptop-Power-Latitude/dp/B07PFD5ZVS/ref=asc_df_B07PFD5ZVS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344022943810&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4190574349824306444&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016909&hvtargid=pla-732217045586&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69534739336&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=344022943810&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4190574349824306444&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016909&hvtargid=pla-732217045586

Yes, it will charge at 36w maximum. 12v x 3a
2022-6-5
Use props
Chevy3717
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1438566 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I opted for this, Charge EVERYTHING at once with the outlet in my truck, Got a little extention cord to plug it into as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B3N ... ct_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XY ... ct_details&th=1
2022-6-6
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Bashy Posted at 6-5 18:05
Yes, it will charge at 36w maximum. 12v x 3a

That poster is from US.  So if extended battery is used, the max charge rate is 58w.
2022-6-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nosnoop Posted at 6-6 18:54
That poster is from US.  So if extended battery is used, the max charge rate is 58w.

As the OP was talking 30w and DJI only recommends a 30w i stayed within spec, plus, I cannot find anything for higher wattage on DJI.com.

That would require something that can handle at least 65w from just 1 socket plus any extra power required for any extra sockets used, so for me, i would be wanting a 100w charger, 65w from the main socket, something along these lines. There is no point going for the bare minimum, you need a little play room, i.e. dont go for a 60w just cause that's closest to 58w, i doubt that charger would last long, at full crank all the time.

See the image below for the max power distribution per sockets used

2022-6-6
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I use my laptop charger with USB-C port, works just fine with drone.
The RC detects the additional power and enters in a Quick Charge mode. The Drone battery only stays at max 30W charging as it's capacity.
The problem is to have enough Amps as lower Amps chargers will overheat the charger or even melt it (fire hazard), as Voltage is fixed but power in Amps that is drained in order to charge the battery can vary (but at least 30W for fast charging).
2022-6-6
Use props
djiuser_54QmMECxYSTB
New
Flight distance : 23186 ft
United States

Can I charge my DJI mini 3 pro with my Macbook Pro charger??? (87W 20.2 Amp)
2022-6-26
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_54QmMECxYSTB Posted at 6-26 16:48
Can I charge my DJI mini 3 pro with my Macbook Pro charger??? (87W 20.2 Amp)

Short answer : Yes as long as it is an Apple USB-C based charger you are fine.

Long answer:
Any charger > 30 watt and with USB PD support should work fine at "full speed"

When you plug in a charger to the drone or 2-way battery charger - they 2 devices start negotatiating what "standard" to use. So if they can agree on 30+ watt standard it will work at the highest speed. If they can't "agree" they will try to negotiate a "smaller" charge power. If both devices are without "bugs" they will NOT damage eachother. Worst thing that might happen from reputable brands is they wont find a standard to agree on. Or they might find a "slow" standard to agree on.

There is not much point in buying/using a larger charger than 30-35 watt unless it is already in your posession. If you use a 87 watt charger with a 30 watt load - you will loose some of the "efficiency" in the conversion of power from the socket to the charger output. So it might use 40 watt from the socket - but deliver only 30 watt to your device.  To get the best efficiency (as in not wasting watt's) - the power consumption from the device should be close to 70-90% of your powerblocks rated power. Usually the "efficiency curve" tops at around 90% load. So the ideal "normal" charger for a 30 watt consumption would be a 35 watt charger (ish).

The new GaN style chargers are more efficient than old chargers at low load vs "stated capacity". But @ 10% load a GaN charger is usually still only 90% efficient. So for 30 watt it would use 33-34 watt from the socket vs. old style charger that might use 40 watt. So it is a lot better than old style chargers. The "missing" watts in efficiency is what "heats" your charger and GaN chargers in general run a lot cooler than "old style" chargers.

As GaN chargers are slightly "new" - try not to buy one from a dodgy source or brand. And don't buy one that has been on the market for more than 2 years. Many of the early GaN chargers are rubbish. DJI made some rubbish ones early on and so did many others incl. Anker.

I have a few Kickstarter GaN 100W blocks which are absolute rubbish from Hyper (Hyper Juice) - they are electrically very noisy and does not follow PD standards very well. In general I find Hyper products to be absolute rubbish (IMHO)

2022-6-26
Use props
Csousanh
lvl.1
United States

Hello all.  New to DJI and this forum.  Can I also charge the DJI RC Controller with the apple 96w charger?
Thanks.
2022-8-24
Use props
Csousanh
lvl.1
United States

Well, I did not.  I used the Apple Macbook Pro 96W charger for the batter pack to charge all three batteries and it seemed to work fine.  I used a 20w block for the RCC and it didn't take long.  
Thanks.  First flight was tonight at it was fun.  I am just starting out with photo/video drone but it was fun, and I was impressed with how easy the Mini 3 pro was to fly, at least out of the box and with basic skills.
2022-8-25
Use props
djiuser_eO6ng9U9YlHy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16056 ft
United States

thomas1029 Posted at 2022-10-12 10:48
It's crucial to know which charger to purchase while looking for one for your laptop. Not all of the chargers that are available will function with your laptop.
When looking for a laptop charger, there are a few aspects to take into account. When choosing a charger, the voltage and amperage should be your top priorities.
Both the voltage and the amperage must be compatible with the voltage of your laptop and the original charger, respectively.The size of the plug is another factor to take into account. Your laptop's outlet and the plug must both fit.

I got a 30w from Amazon to charge my mini 3
2023-2-1
Use props
BodkinsBestPhotography
lvl.2

Canada

djiuser_eO6ng9U9YlHy Posted at 2-1 12:27
I got a 30w from Amazon to charge my mini 3

Good for you.  Thanks for necroing this thread to bring us this valuable piece of information...
2023-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules