10418 21 2022-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ever since I got my M1 Macbook Air, I haven't been able to connect my Mavic Air 2 to it and either access the SD card or use DJI Assistant either one. Until today that is. The M1 Macbook only has 2 thunderbolt ports (can be used with USB-C as well). So the obvious way to connect the drone is with a USB-C to USB-C cable, or one would think. This doesn't work. The computer doesn't see the drone at all this way. It has been this way with the version on MacOS that came on the computer, which was Catalina, and progressed through Big Sur and also Ventura. Basically what I found is that if I use a dock or a dongle that has standard USB A ports that supports USB 3.0 it will work through that dock or dongle. I create a video showing using a USB-C cable to demonstrate that it will not work this way, I also show that the cable works by using a DJI Action 2 as a webcam successfully. I then show using a dongle and a USB-C to USB-A cable and it working. So maybe DJI will take note (proper fix may require a FW update) and also maybe this will help others.

2022-6-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JodyB. Good day and thank you for posting this interesting video that you have filmed and created. Great work and thank you for your support. .
2022-6-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice work around Jody.  
2022-6-10
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-10 05:34
Very nice work around Jody.

Thanks!! Although I really don’t think one should have to do that. It is what it is I suppose.
2022-6-10
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-9 20:02
Hello there JodyB. Good day and thank you for posting this interesting video that you have filmed and created. Great work and thank you for your support.  .

Thanks DJI Stephen. Do you think you could find out or report this to find out if there is a fix planned so a hub or dock wouldn’t be needed?
2022-6-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 6-10 05:39
Thanks!! Although I really don’t think one should have to do that. It is what it is I suppose.

Very true, but until a FW update at least it is a valid work around.
2022-6-10
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-10 06:47
Very true, but until a FW update at least it is a valid work around.

Sad thing is, I don’t know if the update would need to come from Apple or DJI or maybe both
2022-6-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 6-10 07:00
Sad thing is, I don’t know if the update would need to come from Apple or DJI or maybe both

Either one, at least you have a viable work around.  Hope you have a great weekend.
2022-6-11
Use props
djiuser_zKXDDalBycD5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11558 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the video i have been having issues, is the cable that comes with the drone not usb c to usb A ?  I have used this lead and the macbook doesnt recognise it in dji assistant
2022-6-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zKXDDalBycD5 Posted at 6-11 12:24
Thanks for the video i have been having issues, is the cable that comes with the drone not usb c to usb A ?  I have used this lead and the macbook doesnt recognise it in dji assistant

In my situation my MacBook is an M1 MacBook Air which only has two thunderbolt ports. These thunderbolt ports will accept a USB-C cable as they are the same connector. So what I was trying to do was use a USB-C to USB-C cable and it wouldn’t work as demonstrated in my video. But using a USB-C dongle that adds USB-A ports, I can use a USB-C to USB-A cable connected to the dongle and it work, also demonstrated in my video. It must be a high speed USB 3.0 port though as my dongle also has the regular USB-A ports for keyboard or mouse and that does not work.
2022-6-11
Use props
djiuser_zKXDDalBycD5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11558 ft
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 6-11 13:35
In my situation my MacBook is an M1 MacBook Air which only has two thunderbolt ports. These thunderbolt ports will accept a USB-C cable as they are the same connector. So what I was trying to do was use a USB-C to USB-C cable and it wouldn’t work as demonstrated in my video. But using a USB-C dongle that adds USB-A ports, I can use a USB-C to USB-A cable connected to the dongle and it work, also demonstrated in my video. It must be a high speed USB 3.0 port though as my dongle also has the regular USB-A ports for keyboard or mouse and that does not work.

Thanks for the reply, ill check which type my macbook is, it has USB A port but doesnt recognise the connection once plugged in
2022-6-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

JodyB Posted at 6-10 05:40
Thanks DJI Stephen. Do you think you could find out or report this to find out if there is a fix planned so a hub or dock wouldn’t be needed?

Hi there JodyB. Thank you for they reply and you are very much welcome. This information will be noted and will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for attention. Again, thank you for your support and stay safe always.
2022-6-12
Use props
Cesium356
lvl.2

United States

USB-A on a USB-C hub doesn't work for me. Using a  MacbookPro18,1,  Ventura (MacOS 13.0) Beta, DJI Avata, DJI Assistant 2 (FPV Series) v.2.1.1.  I can access the onboard storage with a USB-C to USB-C cable, the volume auto mounts like any SD storage. But DJI Assistant does not recognize anything plugged into any USB port, directly to USB-C/Thunderbolt nor via a hub with USB-A.
2022-9-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cesium356 Posted at 9-20 17:31
USB-A on a USB-C hub doesn't work for me. Using a  MacbookPro18,1,  Ventura (MacOS 13.0) Beta, DJI Avata, DJI Assistant 2 (FPV Series) v.2.1.1.  I can access the onboard storage with a USB-C to USB-C cable, the volume auto mounts like any SD storage. But DJI Assistant does not recognize anything plugged into any USB port, directly to USB-C/Thunderbolt nor via a hub with USB-A.
You’re usinga different done. Make sure you’re using the right version of software for your drone as there are several versions of assistant. Also keep in mind that Ventura is still beta and will be until the October Apple live event takes place.  But is worth noting that this method still works for me but I am using this with a mavic air 2 and not an avata which uses different hardware. Also you maybe using a different brand of hub and that could be a difference as well. Also worth noting that I’m not an Apple guru and don’t know what the 18,1 means but I’m using an M1 MacBook Air and there could be hardware differences there as well.
2022-9-20
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

So many variables.  These are the things that when you find a good work-around, you gotta just smile and roll with it.  Sounds like persistence won the battle for you @JodyB!
2022-9-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 9-20 22:40
So many variables.  These are the things that when you find a good work-around, you gotta just smile and roll with it.  Sounds like persistence won the battle for you @JodyB!

I just wish it was more definitive across the board.
2022-9-21
Use props
Cesium356
lvl.2

United States

FWIW, with the Avata and my 2021 MacBookPro M1 I only had to uninstall an older Assistant 2 (FPV vers) I installed for my Goggles V2 used with my other drones and CADDX Vista camera. I was given a link to the new version of the SW, v2.1.11, and on install it worked with a straight USB-C to USB-C cable.  Again, as you correctly said @JodyB, I'm using a different drone than for your workaround.   Cheers and happy flying.

Link to version which works with Avata: https://www.dji.com/downloads/so ... sumer-drones-series
2022-9-21
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cesium356 Posted at 9-21 22:07
FWIW, with the Avata and my 2021 MacBookPro M1 I only had to uninstall an older Assistant 2 (FPV vers) I installed for my Goggles V2 used with my other drones and CADDX Vista camera. I was given a link to the new version of the SW, v2.1.11, and on install it worked with a straight USB-C to USB-C cable.  Again, as you correctly said @JodyB, I'm using a different drone than for your workaround.   Cheers and happy flying.

Link to version which works with Avata: https://www.dji.com/downloads/so ... sumer-drones-series

Super excited that you got it figured out and that you shared the link that should work with M1’s running Ventura with the avata. That’s a very cool looking drone btw!!
2022-9-22
Use props
Dmitrii Chekati
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149357 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

JodyB Posted at 9-22 02:43
Super excited that you got it figured out and that you shared the link that should work with M1’s running Ventura with the avata. That’s a very cool looking drone btw!!

Thank you for the tip! It worked for me in the end. I decided to write my situation to help others and more importantly to get DJI to fix this bug as I for one am very angry with their customer service and even disappointed in DJI even though I have been using their products for over 5 years. So let's begin. I sold my former drone DJI FPV COMBO and bought the AVATA, because I found it has several advantages. But they didn't even bundle this drone with the Remote Controller 2, only with Motion Controller - which turned out to be a load of crap. But ok, I had to make some effort to find and purchase DJI Remote Controller 2 separately in my area and pay additional $200 for it to finally fly Avata normally and enjoy using it. Then I came home satisfied after buying the controller and decided to do a test flight in DJI Virtual Fly with this new controller, but in the virtual flight application does not respond to the controller sticks. Neither in the app itself, nor on the track at the beginning of the flight. Only the key that changes the flight modes from N to S works. I think it's probably about the firmware, I should re-flash the controller. I updated the Assistant 2 software on the MAC as I thought there might be some problems without it. Worth mentioning that the kit with the controller did not have 1 wire to connect the controller to anything. In the most expensive AVATA set there was only a short type-c - type-c cable. Connecting the controller to the computer through this cord and Assistant 2 (FPV) does not display the controller. That is, it does not see the connected devices. Started to think what the problem may be. I tried to fix it by updating the operating system on my Mac as I also tried to install other versions of the Assistant 2 (e.g. Consumer Drones Series) and it would not install on my Mac until I updated the operating system on my laptop. And after all that I reconnect the controller to the computer with the same wire from the AVATA kit (type-c to type-c) but Assistant 2 still did not display it. In the end your tip helped me. I just used another type-c to usb cable of my own with a mac adapter (usb to type-c). My Mac does not have a direct USB input (only two type-c inputs) and oh my god! It worked! I updated the firmware while writing this long story for you. And now I'm off to try to get it up and flying again in DJI Virtual Fly. Hopefully everything will work properly. I appeal to the DJI manufacturer, all this could have been avoided if you just put the damn controller in the same package with the DJI Avata! Or at least a type-c to usb wire in one of the boxes. Either in the box when you buy a separate remote control or in a set with Avata. Motion Controller is absolute crap, even in your cool videos in the official Instagram account pilots use not Motion Controller but Remote Controller 2. It's very frustrating that you treat your customers worse every year.
2022-10-13
Use props
The Flying Sage
New

Canada

Hello! I am writing a follow up to Dmitrii's post above me. I am having pretty much the exact same issue except for me, my MacBook does not have Type C inputs built in... just regular USB ports.

I am trying to update firmware on the FPV Controller 2 through the DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV Series) without any luck. The controller is not appearing when I plug it in.

Can anyone help me?
2022-12-29
Use props
Jim Grieve
New

United Kingdom

Hi Everyone,
I have a Mavic Platinum pro, and i need to calibrate the sensors for the first time. I am running a M1 mac with Ventura 13.5.1 i have just lost an couple of hours of my life installing every version of assistant 2. After reading this i thread i have tried lightning USB C USBA combinations.

Horndis wont install on my Mac as it says its not compatible.

Advice from support is pay for a service call and send the drone to them.

Any ideas as to what i can try?
2023-9-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

This is the one listed on the Platinum Pro page, but it may not work for M1's
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... sistant+2+1.2.4.pkg

This is the one that I use with my M1 but it's for the MA2 and now the A3 but may not work with the Platinum Pro. Scroll down until you see the Mac Version V2.1.19 and download its pkg to try that one if the first one doesn't work. If neither one work, I'm not sure what advice to give.
DJI Air 3 - Downloads - DJI
Using an older drone with a newer Mac can be troublesome for sure. I felt your pain for a long time.
2023-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules