Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vz10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1683727 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there,

I launch my new shiny DJI MIni 3 Pro using new DJI RC and even in a middle of a  field  it starts RTH after about 800-1000 meters fly away. I tried it with RC from my old Mini 2 and results were slightly better but not significantly.

Does anybody have the same issues with flight range?
2022-6-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

From the polls I've seen on this forum it appears at least 30% of the pilots are reporting range issues.  DJI has not acknowledged it as a problem so not sure if a future firmware fix is coming or not.  I did see in a video that some in North America are seeing there drones being limited to CE vice FCC and that has decreased range.  You can check out the below video to see what I'm referring to.

2022-6-25
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-25 13:14
From the polls I've seen on this forum it appears at least 30% of the pilots are reporting range issues.  DJI has not acknowledged it as a problem so not sure if a future firmware fix is coming or not.  I did see in a video that some in North America are seeing there drones being limited to CE vice FCC and that has decreased range.  You can check out the below video to see what I'm referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHHL4_EWrE

Thanks for the video, DowntownRDB. I’ll try to cover it next time hopefully it’ll help.

I heard that DJI prohibited all “sponsored” bloggers to make range tests during their reviews. I thought it was just a conspiracy theory but looks like it wasn’t. Hah
2022-6-25
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

800-1000 meters is bad even for CE.
2022-6-25
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

Here we go again........................... Popcorn ready
2022-6-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vz10 Posted at 6-25 14:54
Thanks for the video, DowntownRDB. I’ll try to cover it next time hopefully it’ll help.

I heard that DJI prohibited all “sponsored” bloggers to make range tests during their reviews. I thought it was just a conspiracy theory but looks like it wasn’t. Hah

Well, im not so sure the range was why they prohibit range testing on release videos, i have gone back to the Mini 2 release review videos and i cannot find one that included a range test, there was mention that the range was much, much, much, much better than the Mini (by Ian)  but that's all that was said. I believe that DJI prohibits range testing on the release reviews due to not wanting any illegal flying associated with the release reviews.
2022-6-25
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 6-25 18:53
Well, im not so sure the range was why they prohibit range testing on release videos, i have gone back to the Mini 2 release review videos and i cannot find one that included a range test, there was mention that the range was much, much, much, much better than the Mini (by Ian)  but that's all that was said. I believe that DJI prohibits range testing on the release reviews due to not wanting any illegal flying associated with the release reviews.

As I mentioned it could be just a conspiracy theory
Technically there are no explicit connections between these reviews and DJI there is no "Sponsored" badge or something like that.  So they shouldn't be really concerned about legal issues IMHO

But anyway flight range issues definitely exist in Mini 3.
2022-6-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Where have some people been
2022-6-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vz10 Posted at 6-25 20:53
As I mentioned it could be just a conspiracy theory  
Technically there are no explicit connections between these reviews and DJI there is no "Sponsored" badge or something like that.  So they shouldn't be really concerned about legal issues IMHO

They have NDA's from what i gather as part of the program, a lot get the drone well ahead of launch day
2022-6-25
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

Like i said....here we go again.........
2022-6-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 6-25 22:54

Yup painful isn’t it. As for all the comments from people about the YouTubers and what they can and can’t say they have no idea
2022-6-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you keep the triangle indicator green during the flight?
2022-6-26
Use props
De Fender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141 ft
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-25 23:38
Yup painful isn’t it. As for all the comments from people about the YouTubers and what they can and can’t say they have no idea

aha good to know - calling it a review than is misleading - if they can only say what is good - they should call it as it is a dji marketing video
I see now the same youtubers start to be more critical because they see they loose creditability.

However I agree with you there are too many individual threads about the issue. Forum users should try to post their experience in an existing thread which discusses the same issue.
2022-6-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 6-25 22:54

Save me a seat.......
2022-6-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-25 23:38

It's a 100% known fact that the ones that get the trial drone to do the reviews are under an NDA and they are not allowed to break any laws, you just look a prize village, again....
2022-6-26
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 6-26 01:09
Save me a seat.......

Already have the popcorn ready for you and Bigplumbs
2022-6-26
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

De Fender Posted at 6-26 00:54
aha good to know - calling it a review than is misleading - if they can only say what is good - they should call it as it is a dji marketing video
I see now the same youtubers start to be more critical because they see they loose creditability.

I am only ragging on the fact that many users on here dont seem to read the list of existing threads before them when starting their NEW post. We have all been there but this range thing is so obvious that I am surprised nobody is bothered to read or they are just too lazy and want an instant reply. Either lazy or stupidity at work.
2022-6-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GLOBAL HAWK Posted at 6-26 01:46
Already have the popcorn ready for you and Bigplumbs

I'll bring the beer
2022-6-26
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Post some video of your flights
2022-6-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

vz10 Posted at 6-25 14:54

You're very welcome.  

Quite interesting about the range tests if true.  
2022-6-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-26 04:39

OK.  It's all fields and stuff, but I'll cobble some clips together.
2022-6-26
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-26 00:16
Did you keep the triangle indicator green during the flight?

What triangle indicator?
2022-6-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vz10 Posted at 6-26 05:39
What triangle indicator?

In the radar view there is a round icon that indicates the controller,   it has a blue triangle that turns green when you point it accurately at the drone.  It indicates you have a good connection.    With the new controller its very sensitive to how accurately you point the controller at the drone.
2022-6-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vz10 Posted at 6-26 05:39
What triangle indicator?

Here's an example,  you can see in the picture the triangle is blue as its not pointing correctly at the drone

2022-6-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-26 04:39

Done
More to follow.
2022-6-27
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-27 01:42
Here's an example,  you can see in the picture the triangle is blue as its not pointing correctly at the drone

[view_image]

I see. You mean if I was faced the drone all the time. I didn't check the triangle color because I didn't know it meant anything  but yes I tried to face the direction where drone was.

But direction is not the only thing. I know that signal  level depends on drone orientation, for example. if you faced the drone and drone turned to you by its back or front signal is better than when drone turned into orthogonal direction to you view line (you look at drone side).

I hope my example makes sense
2022-6-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vz10 Posted at 6-27 08:20
I see. You mean if I was faced the drone all the time. I didn't check the triangle color because I didn't know it meant anything  but yes I tried to face the direction where drone was.

But direction is not the only thing. I know that signal  level depends on drone orientation, for example. if you faced the drone and drone turned to you by its back or front signal is better than when drone turned into orthogonal direction to you view line (you look at drone side).

On the new remote and few millimetres of tilt of the remote can make such a difference,  its incredibly sensitive on the new model
2022-6-27
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The indicator turning green is reliant upon the compass in the controller being calibrated (which in itself is another set of problems).

Whilst maintaining VLOS, its trivial to ensure the controller is correctly orientated without having to constantly keep looking at the screen.  Those of use that have been around long enough are more than used to maintaining the orientation whilst using bloomin' great big ultra directional yagis on our RC aircraft before the fun police came along....
2022-6-28
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I still experience this issue regardless of all the updates and weird solutions. Does anyone manage to fix it in some more or less permanent way?
I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue that DJI will never admit maybe it makes sense to crash my drone into a wall and get a new one via care program, hopefully, the new one will be better
2022-8-26
Use props
djiuser_Fjm5pOHeyXKJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181266 ft
Sweden

vz10 Posted at 8-26 06:48
I still experience this issue regardless of all the updates and weird solutions. Does anyone manage to fix it in some more or less permanent way?
I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue that DJI will never admit maybe it makes sense to crash my drone into a wall and get a new one via care program, hopefully, the new one will be better

I got a new one and there is no difference.
2022-8-26
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Most likely hardware, and my guess is the antennas on the drone and not the controller
2022-8-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

vz10 Posted at 8-26 06:48
I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue that DJI will never admit maybe it makes sense to crash my drone into a wall and get a new one via care program, hopefully, the new one will be better

No matter what dji drone you put to the test you’ll find great difference in signals for different owners , its one thing that continues to come up on release of every drone. Yet all drones have the same hardware same antennas same radio same remote controllers use the same app etc so the only difference is flying conditions locations and savvy points to the latter being the culprit.
2022-8-26
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-26 09:38
No matter what dji drone you put to the test you’ll find great difference in signals for different owners , its one thing that continues to come up on release of every drone. Yet all drones have the same hardware same antennas same radio same remote controllers use the same app etc so the only difference is flying conditions locations and savvy points to the latter being the culprit.

My range limit in good conditions - 800-900 metes, in bad 200-300 meters which is really annoying
2022-8-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

vz10 Posted at 8-26 10:22
My range limit in good conditions - 800-900 metes, in bad 200-300 meters which is really annoying

I think you’ll find its most likely down to your flight conditions than anything to do with the craft . If it is the craft you would need to change it for a new one.
2022-8-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vz10 Posted at 8-26 10:22

There's no real point in getting annoyed about it, radio communications are what they are, you cant change the interference so change the location. If you add more directionally focused antennae you lose flexiblility.
I have seen a stock, CE spec, Mavic Mini reach over 2.4km, 400m further than spec, over open sea, and it was the pilot's nerve that went rather than the the signal. Conversely I have seen my mine lose signal at under 400m. It just depends on the enviroment.
2022-8-26
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

How far can the average person see?

OK...

How far away can you see your drone?

2022-8-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Burstmode Posted at 8-26 11:19

I can see the moon, sun and stars. So pretty far.
2022-8-26
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-26 10:59
There's no real point in getting annoyed about it, radio communications are what they are, you cant change the interference so change the location. If you add more directionally focused antennae you lose flexiblility.
I have seen a stock, CE spec, Mavic Mini reach over 2.4km, 400m further than spec, over open sea, and it was the pilot's nerve that went rather than the the signal. Conversely I have seen my mine lose signal at under 400m. It just depends on the enviroment.

My Mini 2 at the same place flew for about 4km away and probably could go further but I didn't test it. Really miss my Mini 2
2022-8-26
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Burstmode Posted at 8-26 11:19

OK...

In the specs, it said 10km not "as far as you can see" I just want to get what I paid for I think it is fair.
2022-8-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

From the manual. Notice the word MAX in the first line.
2022-8-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules