How to discharge DJI batteries before a flight?
6324 16 2022-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

Hey guys,
How do I discharge the batteries of the DJI Mini 2 and how much do I need to discharge them for an 8 hour flight?

Thanks.
2022-6-26
Use props
dnddad324
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

This is kind of a confusing question....

I'm assuming you're going to be traveling (which I really can't help you with....you might have to check with the airlines you are flying with).

When I first read this post I was like, 'Why would you discharge your batteries before flying your drone? Wouldn't you want them fully charged? Eight hour flight??? With a Mini 2???' and then I realized you must mean you're traveling by plane and bringing your drone.
2022-6-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You don't need to discharge batteries before air travel.
It's just one of the stupid myths that you find in drone forums.
No air safety body or airline recommends that you discharge batteries.
No-one at the airport has heard of discharging batteries to fly and no-one is going to check the level of charge in your batteries.
And you don't need LiPo bags either.
2022-6-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Alvara74. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots can give out the best recommendation with regards to this matter. In addition, kindly please read through your airline's battery transportation regulations when traveling with your DJI intelligent flight batteries and for reference I will post a link where in you can learn about regulations for your specific airline ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/airlines ). Thank you and please stay safe always.
2022-6-26
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

dnddad324 Posted at 6-26 14:17
This is kind of a confusing question....

I'm assuming you're going to be traveling (which I really can't help you with....you might have to check with the airlines you are flying with).
Some airlines like for instance Alaska airline as I had to when I went from California to Anchorage Alaska when taking my Mavic 3 require you to discharge your drone batteries when bring your drone.
2022-6-26
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-26 16:07

Actually Laberdoodle Alaska airlines requires you to discharge your drone batteries when bringing your drone and if you don’t believe me look it up on Alaskan airlines website and while yes when I took my Mavic 3 from Los Angeles, California to Anchorage Alaska they never asked me if my batteries were discharged (which they were) it’s still what they require.
2022-6-26
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hey Alavra, what I did before my trip when taking my drone was I just flew my drone until the batterie was at 10-15 percent and that should be good.
2022-6-26
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

I always store my batteries at about 50% of charge, corresponding to 3.8V per cell (the optimal charge for storing LiPo batteries). When I need to discharge them, I use the DJI charger as power bank and I charge my iPhone or my iPad until the battery reaches the wanted level. I this way there is no waste of energy.
2022-6-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 6-26 21:16
Actually Laberdoodle Alaska airlines requires you to discharge your drone batteries when bringing your drone and if you don’t believe me look it up on Alaskan airlines website and while yes when I took my Mavic 3 from Los Angeles, California to Anchorage Alaska they never asked me if my batteries were discharged (which they were) it’s still what they require.

Congratulations .. out of thousands of airlines in the world, you found one that mentions the state of discharge for drone batteries.
To be pedantic, they recommend, rather than requiring discharge.

They recommend not traveling with fully charged batteries, but don't say that drone batteries must be discharged or mention any particular state of charge.
I note that they don't make any recommendations for discharging any LiPo batteries for cameras, phones, laptops, iPads, cordless powertools etc.
And since it's TSA airport check-in screening personnel (not airline staff) that check what you carry on, Alaskan Airlines recommendation is unenforceable.

All airline battery guidelines are based on the IATA guidelines, which make no mention of the state of charge.
https://www.iata.org/contentasse ... lithium-battery.pdf
2022-6-27
Use props
Innerspace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287352 ft
United States

I flew on American Airlines recently.  Batteries had to be in carry on luggage and each sealed in a ziplock bag.  There was nothing said about their charge status.
2022-6-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

If you need to discharge them for personal satisfaction, just fly each of them to about 50%.
2022-6-27
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Mobilehomer Posted at 6-27 07:35
If you need to discharge them for personal satisfaction, just fly each of them to about 50%.

Yes, 50% charge level is what you use when storing the batteries a longer time or 3.8V pe cell. I have never been asked to show the storage level when flying.
2022-6-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

kyalami Posted at 6-27 08:34
Yes, 50% charge level is what you use when storing the batteries a longer time or 3.8V pe cell. I have never been asked to show the storage level when flying.

I agree with Labs on this. But for the OP peace of mind, if he wants to discharge them, this is how I would do it.
2022-6-27
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-27 02:40
Congratulations .. out of thousands of airlines in the world, you found one that mentions the state of discharge for drone batteries.
To be pedantic, they recommend, rather than requiring discharge.

To not be pedantic but I didn’t find the only airline that says to discharge batteries all I did was when I when to Alaska to snowboard and took my drone I told Alaskan airline I was taking my drone and they sent me a list of what they require before boarding with my drone, but anyways have a great day and farewell.
2022-6-27
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Technical it does not make sense. If a Lipo starts to swell or to ignite, it does it based on the chemicals inside but independent of it's charging state.
It is the same crap that you are not allowed to use wifi during take off and landing but they offer satellite internet during flight.
2022-6-27
Use props
djiuser_VSIxy6ne6Jbi
New

Mexico

If you have the two way charger you can plug your phone in the output and discharge the batteries and charge your phone, two birds one stone
2022-6-27
Use props
djiuser_0gFCMkn09Ihz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2756 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2022-6-26 16:07

Absolutely right
2023-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules