Altitude error in EXIF data?
3563 10 2022-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Photo Eddie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Since the upgrade, I have a -58.1m error in the altitude that shows when I import photos into Lightroom.  Anyone else noticed this and is there a fix?
2022-7-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just checked some of my last shots in Lightroom 11.4.1 and the altitude data is correct.
2022-7-5
Use props
Photo Eddie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-5 00:01
I just checked some of my last shots in Lightroom 11.4.1 and the altitude data is correct.

Hmmm.  That's interesting - thanks. We're running the same version of LR, so I wonder why I have this issue.
From a shot taken with the drone at 40m, the EXIF data is as per the attached. Odd.
2022-7-5
Use props
Photo Eddie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Photo Eddie Posted at 7-5 00:27
Hmmm.  That's interesting - thanks. We're running the same version of LR, so I wonder why I have this issue.
From a shot taken with the drone at 40m, the EXIF data is as per the attached. Odd.
[view_image]

2022-7-5
Use props
Photo Eddie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Anybody know what the "Software" the EXIF data in Lightroom reports is?
A bit of further investigation shows that with my Mavic 2 Pro when first delivered (one of the first) the software showing in the EXIF data was 10.00.06.35 and the altitude error (acknowledged by DJI) was in the region of  -100,000km (yes, really).  A firmware update fixed this and the software reported by Lr changed to 10.00.07.30.
With the Mini 3 Pro as delivered, the EXIF data showed the right altitude and the software was 10.01.06.50.  With last week's upgrade, I now have an error of -58m and the software is shown as 10.00.13.23.
Which software is this?
Help (pls)!
2022-7-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Since the upgrade, I have a -58.1m error in the altitude that shows when I import photos into Lightroom.  
Updates get blamed for lots of things they have nothing to do with and this is one of those.
You don't realise it, but your image metadata includes two different altitude figures, but the software you've used is only showing one.
There's a lot more metadata than you'll ever see with Lightroom.

The metadata includes:
Relative Altitude - the number you see on your screen when flying and it will be exactly the same
Absolute Altitude - the number you've seen.
It's an approximate altitude above sea level, but DJI has a flawed algorithm to calculate this and it's commonly out by +/- 200 ft or more.

Anyone else noticed this and is there a fix?
The fix is to use a better metadata viewer and ignore the Absolute Altitude number.

2022-7-5
Use props
Photo Eddie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 7-5 05:54
Since the upgrade, I have a -58.1m error in the altitude that shows when I import photos into Lightroom.  
Updates get blamed for lots of things they have nothing to do with and this is one of those.
You don't realise it, but your image metadata includes two different altitude figures, but the software you've used is only showing one.

Thanks - that's useful. Any suggestions as to a better EXIF data viewer?
Cheers

2022-7-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Photo Eddie Posted at 7-5 08:58
Cheers

There are lots out there.
Google exif viewer to find some.
2022-7-5
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 300837 ft
  • >>>
United States

Photo Eddie Posted at 7-5 08:58
Cheers

If you want everything I would suggest ExifTool.

EXIFTool FAQ
2022-7-5
Use props
ardash
lvl.1
Flight distance : 91565 ft
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-5 05:54
Updates get blamed for lots of things they have nothing to do with and this is one of those.
You don't realise it, but your image metadata includes two different altitude figures, but the software you've used is only showing one.

Agreed. But I would be more practical and useful if Lightroom showed the Relative Alt instead of the Absolute Alt. Two reasons: A, The Absolute Alt calculation is problematic and reports negative altitudes a lot B, It is more intuitive and useful to see the height above the take off point in Lightroom.  Do you think there is any way DJI could swap the two altitude tags in the metadata so that Lightroom displays something useful in the GPS Exif data? See all altitude data Vs. reported in Lightroom:
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.53.36 pm copy.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.55.22 pm.png
2022-7-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ardash@adelaide Posted at 7-6 04:23
Agreed. But I would be more practical and useful if Lightroom showed the Relative Alt instead of the Absolute Alt. Two reasons: A, The Absolute Alt calculation is problematic and reports negative altitudes a lot B, It is more intuitive and useful to see the height above the take off point in Lightroom.  Do you think there is any way DJI could swap the two altitude tags in the metadata so that Lightroom displays something useful in the GPS Exif data? See all altitude data Vs. reported in Lightroom:
Do you think there is any way DJI could swap the two altitude tags in  the metadata so that Lightroom displays something useful in the GPS Exif  data?
There's probably a standard for data fields in Exif, that DJI have to comply with.
If you need to check the relative heights, it's easy to find a program that shows all the metadata.
2022-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules