United Kingdom

When will this guy learn that sitting in your car does not help the signal

2022-7-8
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 370965 ft
United States

He didn't have weak signal problems in this video. His controller froze up due to buggy software. A car is not a faraday cage when it comes to electromagnetic waves. Lightnings and RF waves are not the same thing. The windows would have to be smaller than the wave length of the 2.4 & 5.8 GHz band, which is 5.17cm for the 5.8 band.
2022-7-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Falcoc Posted at 7-8 13:06
He didn't have weak signal problems in this video. His controller froze up due to buggy software. A car is not a faraday cage when it comes to electromagnetic waves. Lightnings and RF waves are no the same thing. The windows would have to be smaller than the wave length of the 2.4 & 5.8 GHz band, which is 5.17cm for the 5.8 band.

It certainly dont help and if the signal is struggling to get in and out it will likely freeze the controller by over working the CPU
2022-7-8
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 370965 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-8 13:11
It certainly dont help and if the signal is struggling to get in and out it will likely freeze the controller by over working the CPU

Does your multi band phone sometimes crash due to CPU overload when you use it in the car? It's fine sitting in the car with the remote, can't expect great ranges of course but it certainly won't crash your remote. Jesus man are you trolling me or are you serious?
2022-7-8
Use props
HamDesigner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33996 ft
United States

Being that one of my hats is that worn by an RF engineer, and another being a computer programmer, reading this tool's ramblings just makes me chuckle.  Those times when I see someone spouting off about something technical, and every sentence they write just proves how ignorant they are about the subject is a nice change of pace.  Most tools at least google some things and attempt to sound as if they know what they're talking about, obfuscating the facts somewhat, keeping the reader on their toes, fooling some less informed readers along the way.  It's refreshing when it is obvious.
2022-7-8
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Henrik was screen recording at the time the problem arose, this freezing issue seems to have appeared after the screen recording resolution was increased but more testing is needed including setting the recording cache values on the controller at different levels & repeating tests on different memory cards, clearing controller cache etc.  The fact that control still appears to function (other YT videos) leans toward memory write/cache issues as oppose cpu load but only more examples with specific card & config details will inform any pattern being established.  Can the problem be replicated after controller restart, has anyone reported freezing whilst not screen recording?  
2022-7-8
Use props
pieterbot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358123 ft
Belgium

Yes, happened to me when not screen recording. The app froze, but after a while (couple of minutes), the app worked again for a few seconds and then it froze again. I already did a factory reset on the DJI RC to start fresh, but that didn't help. It just keeps freezing up everytime I try to fly, and I never screenrecord.
DJI RC FW: v01.01.0000
DJI M3P FW: v01.00.0201
App version: 1.6.8
2022-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-8 13:11

Someone pointed out in a direct message to him on YT that it was possibly the fact that he was screen recording at the time, and his video cache was likely full. Whether that would cause the controller to have histrionics I don't know - but it seems plausible.
2022-7-8
Use props
Iflyadrone
lvl.1

United States

As far as I can tell the problem shown in this video is exactly what was happening to my 7 day old mini 3 with the rc controller. But I might have solved this problem on my drone (I’ll explain in a minute) but I had a different issue today.

Same exact issue as the op’s video. But I fly outside, the drone had this happen even if it was just straight up 100 or so feet in the air. It happened enough that I documented it as well as called Dji and received zero help by the way..

It seems the solution for me was to change the in drone memory card. I had originally installed a card that was a few years old and I did receive a notice on the screen calling out a slow card. I thought that worst case recording performance or quality would be effected but I have since swapped it for a card on the recommended list and I have NOT had the app lockup and app crash happen again! One more fact it has not happened again but I also pulled the card from the controller and have not tested it yet with a card in both. Waiting on another approved card to test again.

Now after being very happy that that issue was solved for me, a new problem happened. Flying the drone 600 feet away at 100 something feet all good 100% signal and with no change to anything controller reports (and log shows from 100% to zero) lost connection to drone and drone initiates a rth which I am extremely thankful was successful.

Good luck to all..
2022-7-8
Use props
SgtMercy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1100558 ft
United States

pieterbot Posted at 7-8 14:07
Yes, happened to me when not screen recording. The app froze, but after a while (couple of minutes), the app worked again for a few seconds and then it froze again. I already did a factory reset on the DJI RC to start fresh, but that didn't help. It just keeps freezing up everytime I try to fly, and I never screenrecord.
DJI RC FW: v01.01.0000
DJI M3P FW: v01.00.0201

Ditto on all that.
It's happened to me 3 times and I don't screen record.
Last time was 7/4, Haven't flown it since.
2022-7-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Plenty of people fly their drone perfectly happily from inside a car, I don't agree with the idea but it doesn't seem to cause them problems. I once tried to cause disconnections by putting my car between the drone and the controller (therefore two or more layers of body shell and the engine block between the drone and controller) and, separately, by putting the controller inside a stainless steel sauce pan (bottom towards the drone) neither attempt worked.  
If cars worked as a Faraday cage for EM how could mobile phones work, ditto dash cam's and sat nav's?
2022-7-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bigplumbs. Good day and thank you for posting this interesting video that you have came upon. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day.
2022-7-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The issue flying from inside the car will be reduced signal strength (but by how much, that is the question, i ain't got a clue) but it will still work ok as shown, the next issue is the compass of the device could be affected by as much as 90º.

I still cannot get over the fact that how forgiving the mini series is when it comes to turning it on on the car or right next to the car and then taking off from a car, no way could you get away with that with the P4P.
2022-7-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HamDesigner Posted at 7-8 13:20
Being that one of my hats is that worn by an RF engineer, and another being a computer programmer, reading this tool's ramblings just makes me chuckle.  Those times when I see someone spouting off about something technical, and every sentence they write just proves how ignorant they are about the subject is a nice change of pace.  Most tools at least google some things and attempt to sound as if they know what they're talking about, obfuscating the facts somewhat, keeping the reader on their toes, fooling some less informed readers along the way.  It's refreshing when it is obvious.

Quite ………….
2022-7-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not sure why Hendric has his thumbnail as the RC controller in the bin as it is not his and he has to give it back as he says in the video
2022-7-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HamDesigner Posted at 7-8 13:20
Being that one of my hats is that worn by an RF engineer, and another being a computer programmer, reading this tool's ramblings just makes me chuckle.  Those times when I see someone spouting off about something technical, and every sentence they write just proves how ignorant they are about the subject is a nice change of pace.  Most tools at least google some things and attempt to sound as if they know what they're talking about, obfuscating the facts somewhat, keeping the reader on their toes, fooling some less informed readers along the way.  It's refreshing when it is obvious.

If you are as clever as you try to make out you would know that a Tool is an incredibly useful thing. Where would we be without them
2022-7-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And screen recording doesn't help either.
2022-7-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Try without screen recording.
2022-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now