Still a little confused about the FW update...
1520 17 2015-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fisk33
lvl.2

United States

I've been reading the threads about the FW update and I have one question I haven't seen answered.  I understand the DJI Go app is for IOS and it's used to update the RC.   However, I have an Android phone.  I understand I can update the aircraft tonight when I get home, but is there a way to upgrade the RC WITHOUT the new app?  And if not should I wait until the Android app comes out?   

FYI:  I skipped the last update because of the problems other people were having.  I'm still at 1.1.9 (or whatever the 2nd to last one was).   I'd like to update the FW to the brand new one, but I want to make sure I can also update the RC and aircraft to the same version.  At least, I assume it needs to be that way.  

thanks.
2015-8-4
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

yes, the normal way through usb thumb drive. i just finished mine. p3 first, rc must be off. it took good 23 minutes. then check the txt file to make sure all went well.
now turn p3 off, insert thumb drive with the bin file in rc and turn it on, it took around 4 minutes. once light goes from blue to green and no beeps, it is done.
i wouldnt do it though the app even if i could as too many things can disturb the process.
have fun
2015-8-4
Use props
fisk33
lvl.2

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-5 05:22
yes, the normal way through usb thumb drive. i just finished mine. p3 first, rc must be off. it took ...

Thanks for the reply.  So a micro SD obviously goes into the p3 to upgrade it, but then the same bin file gets put on a thumb drive and inserted into the usb port of the RC to do the upgrade?   Is that correct?
2015-8-4
Use props
StephLed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347365 ft
United States

fisk33 Posted at 2015-8-5 06:28
Thanks for the reply.  So a micro SD obviously goes into the p3 to upgrade it, but then the same b ...

You can update the RC two ways -- Use a USB, or you can simply connect directly to the gimbal with the USB to Micro USB cord that came with your Phantom (make sure microSD card with bin file is inserted).

If the RC light does not change to blue and begin beeping after 60 seconds, your RC is already up to date.
2015-8-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The RC depending which version you have, can either be updated through your device.
Yeah,  or you can connect the Phantom and your RC with the cable which came bundled with your Phantom.
The directions are there, pretty easy to follow.

It was a breeze for me. So very glad this new app came out, when it did.
Way too much grumbling and irate Phantom Pilots. This should finally quell the frustrated ones with the problems.

Awesome new Go App and hoping the FirmWare upgrades are also as solid as it has been for us, up to now. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-8-4
Use props
StephLed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347365 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-5 05:22
yes, the normal way through usb thumb drive. i just finished mine. p3 first, rc must be off. it took ...

According to the new firmware instructions, the only way to update the RC is going to be through the app only...
2015-8-4
Use props
fisk33
lvl.2

United States

And...  the confusion is back...  LOL   I have an android phone, not IOS, which means i don't have the new GO app.  Does anyone know for certain that I can update the RC without the new app?  
2015-8-4
Use props
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

I'm waiting for the android app before updating. Weather's crappy anyway.
2015-8-4
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

fisk33 Posted at 2015-8-5 06:47
And...  the confusion is back...  LOL   I have an android phone, not IOS, which means i don't have t ...

YES - I have a Android device and you can update the RC with a usb drive . This firmware update anyway , the next firmware update looks like you will have to use the app ..  
2015-8-4
Use props
jsfarms69
lvl.1

United States

And...  the confusion is back...  LOL   I have an android phone, not IOS, which means i don't have t ...

I was able to update the RC this morning using the Android Pilot app, not the new DJI GO app, so to answer your question...YES

May have to use USB if the app does not work.
2015-8-4
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

1- that is for ios right now, when i tried it could not update it. so i used the old usb thumb drive way and it updated it just fine. if you read the fw update guide, the warning sign towards the bottom says that from now on you have to update thru software, so from what i understand it means after this fw update. i maynbe wrong!! but my update worked thru usb
2015-8-4
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

fisk33 Posted at 2015-8-5 06:28
Thanks for the reply.  So a micro SD obviously goes into the p3 to upgrade it, but then the same b ...

yes it does
2015-8-4
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

StephLed Posted at 2015-8-5 06:37
According to the new firmware instructions, the only way to update the RC is going to be through t ...

yea i saw that, make sure you have good internet access then!!
2015-8-4
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

yes you can
2015-8-4
Use props
fisk33
lvl.2

United States

It worked perfectly.  I had no problems updating the p3 and remote.   A short test flight in the back yard shows it's working perfectly.  It had been drifting hard to the right, but that's fixed.  I had it hover 10 feet up and just hang there for a full minute and it didn't hardly move at all.   Seems to work great.   

Thanks everyone for the help.
2015-8-4
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

I still don't get why the B RC's do not need this update.
2015-8-4
Use props
monodogg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1035784 ft
United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-8-5 10:20
I still don't get why the B RC's do not need this update.

I updated mine through the Android application and it downloaded it and then it updated and said I had to restart it and now it still shows the firmware update even though the upgrade was ok and all went well through the app. I am lost because it still tells me to update the firmware.
2015-8-4
Use props
fisk33
lvl.2

United States

monodogg Posted at 2015-8-5 10:48
I updated mine through the Android application and it downloaded it and then it updated and said I ...

After I did the update, I took it outside to test it.  for a while it still said it needed a FW update.  I had to turn it (P3, RC and Pilot app) off and back on a few times to get it to go away.   But it finally acknowledged that I did the upgrade and it flew with no problems.
2015-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules