Confused by 2 Micro SD card slots
12180 15 2022-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grumpy Bear
lvl.1

Canada

Hi all,

Just unpacked the new Mini3 Pro with the RC. I noticed that the RC and the drone each have a Micro SD slot. Why? What is going on with each? Am I getting the same recording on both? Are both necessary to capture imagery and video? If only one is required, which one?

Thank you in advance,

GB
2022-7-12
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

Better off using drone.  Controller only stores low res footage streamed back.  You can't transfer the video from the bird to the controller either but you can transfer the photos.

Taking footage from drone either by popping sd card in computer or connecting wirelessly to your phone without controller switched on with dji app loaded
2022-7-12
Use props
Grumpy Bear
lvl.1

Canada

chillibadger Posted at 7-12 11:54
Better off using drone.  Controller only stores low res footage streamed back.  You can't transfer the video from the bird to the controller either but you can transfer the photos.

Taking footage from drone either by popping sd card in computer or connecting wirelessly to your phone without controller switched on with dji app loaded

Thanks for the explanation.
2022-7-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

some people believe they can make good use of the low res video captured on the rc in the event the drone flies away and takes the card along for the ride, never to be seen again.
2022-7-12
Use props
Grumpy Bear
lvl.1

Canada

The Saint Posted at 7-12 13:24
some people believe they can make good use of the low res video captured on the rc in the event the drone flies away and takes the card along for the ride, never to be seen again.

That makes sense. In my case I’ll never be losing line of sight. It’s for doing final block inspections in forestry.
2022-7-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GB. Good day and thank you for reaching out. You can place or insert the recommended microSD card on your DJI Mini 3 Pro drone. The microSD card placed on the DJI drone will save and record all photos and video clips in high quality. While the microSD card slot in the DJI RC is used to preview copies of the photos and videos that you have captured using your DJI Mini 3 Pro. Thank you.
2022-7-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-12 13:24
some people believe they can make good use of the low res video captured on the rc in the event the drone flies away and takes the card along for the ride, never to be seen again.

Does the Mini 3 record low res to the RC Pro then? if so then that's very helpful, can use them as proxies
2022-7-12
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

chillibadger Posted at 7-12 11:54
Better off using drone.  Controller only stores low res footage streamed back.  You can't transfer the video from the bird to the controller either but you can transfer the photos.

Taking footage from drone either by popping sd card in computer or connecting wirelessly to your phone without controller switched on with dji app loaded

Actually, with the latest firmware, you can now transfer high res video from drone to RC's SD card.
You also need the SD card in RC if you want to do screen recording of your RC's screen, or screen capture.
2022-7-12
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

nosnoop Posted at 7-12 20:53
Actually, with the latest firmware, you can now transfer high res video from drone to RC's SD card.
You also need the SD card in RC if you want to do screen recording of your RC's screen, or screen capture.

Your comment:

is the reason I have put a large SD card in my DJI RC.

2022-7-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just use one in the Drone as the card in the RC is only needed if you use the Screen Record function.  
2022-7-13
Use props
djiuser_MMd2Bvn3fOkN
New
Australia

Hello
So if I remove the sd card from the drone I can insert it into my pc to download the footage? Or do I need to connect the cable from the drone to the pc for this?. Also with an sd card in my RC as well as the drone will the footage automatically copy in low resolution onto the RC sd card or is there a setting I need to change for this to happen

Thanks
2022-12-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_MMd2Bvn3fOkN Posted at 12-29 16:17
Hello
So if I remove the sd card from the drone I can insert it into my pc to download the footage? Or do I need to connect the cable from the drone to the pc for this?. Also with an sd card in my RC as well as the drone will the footage automatically copy in low resolution onto the RC sd card or is there a setting I need to change for this to happen

yes you can remove the microsd card from the drone and insert it into your pc to view the drone footage; no cable needed.
2022-12-29
Use props
djiuser_MMd2Bvn3fOkN
New
Australia

The Saint Posted at 12-29 17:31
yes you can remove the microsd card from the drone and insert it into your pc to view the drone footage; no cable needed.

Thanks for that. How about the drone sd and the RC sd card is ther something I need to do for the downloading of the footage from the drone to the RC or is that automatically done each time ?
2022-12-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_MMd2Bvn3fOkN Posted at 12-29 18:52
Thanks for that. How about the drone sd and the RC sd card is ther something I need to do for the downloading of the footage from the drone to the RC or is that automatically done each time ?

i think i might know but ive never done that enough times lately to know for sure; perhaps someone else can chime in.  which rc, the screen rc?  if so, haven't used that one.
2022-12-29
Use props
djiuser_MMd2Bvn3fOkN
New
Australia

Yes the screen RC
2022-12-29
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I also did not know what the slot in the RC is used for exactly, so I just placed an identical SD card as in the drone there. And guess what? I was glad I did, because I went for a flight and recognized on site that I forgot to replace the SD card back into the drone after transferring generated vidoes via SD card reader to my PC  .
So I just took the one from the RC and placed it in the drone. So I mainly use the SD slot in the RC to store a backup card   
2022-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules