New drone pilot - Mini 2 or Mini 3?
4085 17 2022-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi,

My friend has a Mini 2 and I'm absolutely blown away by it!

I've been doing a bit of reading about the Mini 3 Pro, but I'm unsure of whether it is actually better than the Mini 2 and therefore worth the significant increase in cost.

Having seen my friend's Mini 2 and flying it for a bit, as well as seeing the footage he's got using it, the Mini 3 is looking pretty hard to justify.

My biggest sticking point is the Mini 3 appears to have some range issues vs. the Mini 2??? Otherwise it appears to have some interesting additional features with respect to the camera gimbal and tracking options, as well as having a slightly better camera (my main interest is 4K at 60 FPS).

I have been reading other forum threads with interest and it appears there is a fix on the way for the Mini 3 and/or the controller to correct the range issue? Does this imply it is a firmware rather than hardware problem?

The other question is the controller type. My friend has just the controller (no screen) and he uses an iPad Mini for the app, but I quite like the integrated display of the newer controller. Can anyone comment on what it is like to use? The advantage of the iPad appears to be that it has a much higher resolution display, whereas the in-built screen is only 1920x1080? Consequently, is there a loss of resolution of the live image or is the live image only 1920x1080 in the first instance? The only reason I ask is that it is the "view out of the window" when flying the drone and obviously more detail is better for spotting things of interest (e.g. spotting distant ships is a good example where better resolution of the live feed is advantageous).

If I'm going to be getting a drone I might as well get the best available at the moment, and spec-wise the Mini 3 Pro certainly ticks that box, but it appears it may have some issues, and given it works out at a significant premium over the Mini 2, I want to be sure I'm making the right choice.

2022-7-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

you can't go wrong with buying a mini 2 as your first drone today.  the mini 3 pro will be waiting for you later....for sure. ;)
2022-7-14
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Mini 3 Pro is much more beginner friendly with its obstacle avoidance.
When you first start flying, just leave the default sideway flying disabled, and make sure you don't fly up except in open air, then it's almost impossible to crash the drone.
And Mini 3 Pro's focustrack and other intelligent flight modes are very powerful and not possible in Mini 2.

The only concern is the cost.   If you have the budget, and you are confident that you won't lose interest in the toy quickly, I would say go for the Mini 3 + RC.
2022-7-14
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Both are excellent drones but the mini 2 is about half the price if you buy fly more Combo on each. The mini 3 RC controller with the screen is lovely and makes getting ready to fly very quick and the screen in bright light is very bright. You will still need your phone for quick transfer and other stuff but that is all quite easy. The mini 3 has several features that the mini 2 does not have which I like.

Below is a very short video filmed yesturday in Norfolk U.K.. the first bit is a master shot using the mini 3 and the second bit is a simple video using the mini 2. The video is quite short.
I am in the U.K. and have the CE version of the drone and I am not having range issues

2022-7-14
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It all depends on you financial situation. If you have £1000 to spare buy the mini 3 with DJI Rc if you budget is nearer to £500 get the mini 2. Both are very good indeed with the same range
2022-7-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I#ve had a Mini One for a couple of years, and was on the point of moving up to the Mini Two, when the Mini3Pro came out.  So I leapfrogged straight to the Mini3Pro - and it's great, though quite expensive compared to the earlier models.  If your budget will stand it, go for the Mini3Pro with RC controller.
2022-7-14
Use props
MavicMike1955
lvl.2
Flight distance : 915669 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yesterday would have been a good time to buy the Mini 2 FMC..it was marked down to under $500 for Prime Days.  But, if you can afford the price of the Mini 3, go for it.  DJI will probably fix the issues it's been having of late.
2022-7-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the Mini2 and Mini3 they both have about the same range.   The camera on the Mini3 is night and day better than on the Mini2.
2022-7-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

The Mini 2 for the price is a brill sub 250g, taking delivery of the Mini 3 tomorrow so i cannot comment on that but from what i have see though, its hit and miss if it will have range issues or not but a lot is down to how the RC is held, the member in post 5 claiming it doesn't have range issues would never know to be honest, he's not gone past 1.3km whereas DAFlys post is more accurate although i don't like the "about" part lol not when the Mini 3 Pro is booked at 2km further
2022-7-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another option is to buy a used Mini 2 and see if you really are into drone flying and videography.  Should be some good buys on used ones as many people moved up the Mini 3 P and it tended to flood the used market.  If you enjoy the Mini 2 enough and are still flying then you could seriously consider upgrading to the Mini 3 and selling your Mini 2 (of pass it on to somebody else like I did by giving ito my grandson).  By that time hopefully DJI will have worked out the signal strength (range) issue  

At least you are doing your due diligence before making the buy.  Best of luck in your decision.
2022-7-15
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 7-14 21:44
I#ve had a Mini One for a couple of years, and was on the point of moving up to the Mini Two, when the Mini3Pro came out.  So I leapfrogged straight to the Mini3Pro - and it's great, though quite expensive compared to the earlier models.  If your budget will stand it, go for the Mini3Pro with RC controller.

Same situation with me. Had the 1 for a couple years and went for the 3 since there were more changes made compared to the 2.

If you have the funds, go for the 3.
2022-7-15
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

i was considering mini SE, mini 2, mini 3 pro and air2/s and decided tostart with mini 2 with dji care
if the money wouldnt be "point of interest" for me i would take mini 3, now i think my nex aircraft will be Air2s or some Phantom
2022-7-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beta5K Posted at 7-15 06:34
Same situation with me. Had the 1 for a couple years and went for the 3 since there were more changes made compared to the 2.

If you have the funds, go for the 3.

So much choice these days.  5 DJI drones in 5 years and I've been happy with each one
2022-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there CineDude. Good day and for these information you have shared with us. For additional reference I will also post a link where in your can compare both the DJI Mini 2 to the DJI Mini 3 Pro and to other DJI consumer drones as well ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Thank you for your support and have a nice day.

2022-7-16
Use props
TopDrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326191 ft

United States

Both are exceptional drones but I would recommend that if you have the money get the Mini 3 Pro. It is an amazing drone.
2022-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mini 3 is 'better' than the mini 2 on paper, but the operator is the factor that will make it better in real life.
So if you know what you are doing, then Mini 3 might be a better option.
But for a beginner, Mini 2 is great too!
Don't be fooled by numbers and specs.
A good operator can make great footage with the Mini 2
There is always something better out there (or on the horizon) but for the price, you can't beat the Mini 2.
2022-8-10
Use props
Tim Peterson5
lvl.2

United States

Well done,thanx for sharing
2-22 18:54
Use props
Tim Peterson5
lvl.2

United States

nosnoop Posted at 2022-7-14 21:06
Mini 3 Pro is much more beginner friendly with its obstacle avoidance.
When you first start flying, just leave the default sideway flying disabled, and make sure you don't fly up except in open air, then it's almost impossible to crash the drone.
And Mini 3 Pro's focustrack and other intelligent flight modes are very powerful and not possible in Mini 2.

Spot on,mini 3 and don't  look back
2-22 18:57
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules