Scarlet Macaw bird attack in Costa Rica
629 7 2022-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
turbopro101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61906 ft
Costa Rica

Hi. My name is Tim "Turbo" Johnston. I own Turbo Productions, a small multimedia production company. I specialize in travel/adventure wildlife videos. Last weekend I was doing a video shoot near Punta Leona, a private reserve located on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. I was staying with friends in Punta Leona. I set up my tripod with my Panasonic ENG camcorder on their back  balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean and was getting some phenomenal wildlife footage. I kept recording video with the camcorder and decided to go to the front of the house to launch my DJI Air 2s drone. I had spotted 3 or 4 scarlet macaws in a tree near the house. I flew up to eye level of the macaws and very slowly moved forward trying very hard not to disturb them. All of the sudden the tree exploded with about 20 scarlet macaws flying towards my drone. It was surreal. I froze for a moment and than realized they were attacking my drone. I didn't move the drone, but continued to shoot video. After a few minutes I was able to land. I felt relieved that I didn't injure any birds and that my drone was still in one piece. After looking at the footage I realized just how close I was to disaster. Enjoy. Pura Vida!  Video shot and edited  by Tim "Turbo" Johnston  Turbo Productions
2022-7-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely birds. Not much doubt as to whose airspace that was, and who was the "intruder"  
2022-7-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why remain there when there is a threat to the birds and the drone?
One pass by a bird is enough for me to get the -_-_ out of 'wherever', I certainly don't hang about for more.

2022-7-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely captured.    
2022-7-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely filmed.   For sure the scarlet macaws went into an aggressive mode to let you know that was there habitat and they didn't feel like sharing it.
2022-7-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Beautiful footage! We really appreciate you for sharing this with us. Have a nice day ahead.
2022-7-16
Use props
TopDrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326191 ft

New Zealand

Very nice video, bit dangerous though to fly around there with so many birds
2022-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft