Does anyone else have trouble flying straight?
2106 17 2022-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
b9y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 704751 ft
United Kingdom

Today I got to video a steam railway, and I was taking the Air 2s down the line at platform height, and two things I noticed:

1. In sports mode the drone naturally gains height (the track wasn't level but the drone increased height quickly).

2. I have issues with keeping it in a straight line. Right stick forward and it's slightly moving to the right. I thought maybe it's my thumb, but no. Barely any wind either. When I correct it with some yaw, it will soon drift off again.

I'm aware you need to be dead on to fly straight and that's impossible, but the controls just don't seem to be nuanced enough to get a near straight flight. Obviously up high, you don't notice it as much.
Any tips?

Cheers!
2022-7-18
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3038150 ft
Romania

Sounds strange, did you have enough sats (15+) connected? Mine flies quite straight, though I almost never fly in sport mode.
2022-7-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hi,

Try to disable sideways flight and fly again.Number of sats has no effect on flying straight or not....

If you like post the flightlog, use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here

Log shows the RC inputs and many more flight data to check for this issue.

cheers
JJB

2022-7-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would,
1) calibrate the controller
2) have a look at the EXP setting, (probably needs a fairly recent version of the app, I think the facility appeared in one of the 1.5 versions.) The consequences of the settings are depicted as a set of curves, the stick position being plotted along the horizontal axis and the response plotted along the vertical axis. The greater the gradient at any stick position the greater the change is response for a small stick movement.
Generally the default settings produce a shallow slope near the origin (0 stock, 0 response) but the slope steepens as the stick is moved away from 0. This means there is only a small response to small stick movements e.g. 2deg of stick movement, near stick 0, but, for the same amount of stick movement i.e. 2 deg, a much greater response elsewhere along the sticks axis where the gradient is steep.
In terms of avoiding unintentionally adding of roll or yaw to intended just-forwards/just-backwards & just-climb/just-descend this would be good but I dislike the variable response rate that it introduces so I set mine, numerically, to 0.5. This produces a straight line graph and a constant rate of response change for a given stick movement but it does make it difficult to avoid introducing unwanted roll and yaw.
3) Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ read the instructions there on how to retrieve the flight log. Upload the flight log to that page. You could then either post the resulting URL here and allow us to look at your log or you could download the csv and open it with a spread sheet program, then do a search for "rudder" and you will find a group of column, possibly CL to CO, whose titles contain Elevator Rudder Throttle Aileron.
These are the stick positions, you would need to work out which value corresponds to stick 0/stick-centred but it is possibly 0, the further the shown value is from that value the further the stick is away from centred.

2022-7-18
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always prefer to fly forward.  Flying straight is too much stress.
2022-7-18
Use props
fanse0f68750
lvl.3
Flight distance : 239672 ft
United States

I had same issue for a while then it mysteriously went away...
2022-7-18
Use props
Flyin Ryan 406
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2334925 ft
United States

Upload you’re logs. I checked mine and was moving the stick slightly left or right. The elevation change defiantly shouldn’t be happening if you are not touching the left stick.
2022-7-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've found it easier to fly straight by using the pinch method vice thumbing.  In reviewing flight data I found that I was ever so slightly moving the stick when using the thumb method.  Now using pinching method I no longer have an issue to fly straight.  
2022-7-19
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hrodnand Posted at 7-18 10:51
Sounds strange, did you have enough sats (15+) connected? Mine flies quite straight, though I almost never fly in sport mode.

Had 12 sats, but it's never flown straight that well.
2022-7-19
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-19 04:25
I've found it easier to fly straight by using the pinch method vice thumbing.  In reviewing flight data I found that I was ever so slightly moving the stick when using the thumb method.  Now using pinching method I no longer have an issue to fly straight.

I've checked logs and I use the pinch method too, nothing showing I'm pushing to the side. I think it's a controller issue tbh.
2022-7-19
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Flyin Ryan 406 Posted at 7-18 22:00
Upload you’re logs. I checked mine and was moving the stick slightly left or right. The elevation change defiantly shouldn’t be happening if you are not touching the left stick.

I've looked at the logs, it's the right-stick. When it's centred the drone flies a little to right. Some issues with construction perhaps.

And yea it rises no matter what.
2022-7-19
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-18 11:05
I would,
1) calibrate the controller
2) have a look at the EXP setting, (probably needs a fairly recent version of the app, I think the facility appeared in one of the 1.5 versions.) The consequences of the settings are depicted as a set of curves, the stick position being plotted along the horizontal axis and the response plotted along the vertical axis. The greater the gradient at any stick position the greater the change is response for a small stick movement.

Thanks! I'll check that out.
2022-7-19
Use props
Martyzion
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1976608 ft
United States

I had this issue and it went away after I calibrated the controller
2022-7-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

b9y Posted at 7-19 07:02
I've checked logs and I use the pinch method too, nothing showing I'm pushing to the side. I think it's a controller issue tbh.

Sounds like you have narrowed it down to the RC then.
2022-7-20
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Ok.. I've got a lot of time on my old Mavic Pro, and still learning my new Air2S, but I did read something about adjusting the gimbal to look to the side by touching the screen.  Could your camera be looking to the side when you are lined up with the display?  Hey, grasping at straws here....
2022-7-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there b9y. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to calibrate your DJI Air 2S remote controller and may we please know if you are receiving any error message on the DJI Fly application as well when this is happening? Thank you.
2022-7-20
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

myabe it is a just wind issue
2022-7-20
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Brad Bilger Posted at 7-20 12:12
Ok.. I've got a lot of time on my old Mavic Pro, and still learning my new Air2S, but I did read something about adjusting the gimbal to look to the side by touching the screen.  Could your camera be looking to the side when you are lined up with the display?  Hey, grasping at straws here....

I did a calibration and tested that out, but figured out it's an error with the controller.
2022-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules