Jello effect DJI Mini 2
3078 18 2022-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans077b455c
lvl.1
Spain

I have a new DJI Mini 2, so propellers are brand new, but am getting the jello effect. I have tried filming in all formats 1080p 25fps to 4K 30fps, and get the same wobbly footage, so it's not due to the micro SD card. I have checked that the propellers are tightly screwed on. Any suggestions?
https://vimeo.com/731982892/3663926336

2022-7-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue with your DJI Mini 2 and thank you for reaching out. Before having this issue did your DJI Mini 2 had a hard landing or a crash before? Thank you.
2022-7-21
Use props
fans077b455c
lvl.1
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-21 01:33
Hello there. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue with your DJI Mini 2 and thank you for reaching out. Before having this issue did your DJI Mini 2 had a hard landing or a crash before? Thank you.

No, no hard landings, no impacts; the drone is virtually straight out of the box.
2022-7-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd be inclined to have a look to see if the gimbal carrier frame has somehow become jammed, though I think this normally results in a gimbal error message. The frame is suspended from the drone's body via 4 damper rubbers. Within the range of movement permitted by these dampers ( only a few mm) the frame should be relatively easy to move.
It is also possible to displace those dampers from their mounting point in the drone's shell, they fit through holes in the shell. It is tricky to see the 2 front damper and probably needs a torch but the rear two dampers are readily visible. If a damper rubber is displaced the rear ones can be refitted quite easily, the front ones can be refitted with out splitting the drone's shell but it is TRICKY.
2022-7-21
Use props
fans077b455c
lvl.1
Spain

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-21 03:31
I'd be inclined to have a look to see if the gimbal carrier frame has somehow become jammed, though I think this normally results in a gimbal error message. The frame is suspended from the drone's body via 4 damper rubbers. Within the range of movement permitted by these dampers ( only a few mm) the frame should be relatively easy to move.
It is also possible to displace those dampers from their mounting point in the drone's shell, they fit through holes in the shell. It is tricky to see the 2 front damper and probably needs a torch but the rear two dampers are readily visible. If a damper rubber is displaced the rear ones can be refitted quite easily, the front ones can be refitted with out splitting the drone's shell but it is TRICKY.

There seems to be more than just a few mm of movement of the frame, however the 4 damper rubbers seems okay. I have tried to run an Auto Gimbal Calibration but it doesn't progress beyond 10%. Also there is no movement of the gimbal while trying to do this calibration (something which I would expect). The only way I can exit this failed gimbal calibration is to power everything off and on.
After more attempts I've managed to get the Auto gimbal calibration to run as far as 80% before it gets stuck. During this there is some gimbal movement.

2022-7-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What gimbal movement is there when the drone is switched on? I get quite a bit of roll, ditto pitch but limited yaw.
2022-7-21
Use props
fans077b455c
lvl.1
Spain

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-21 04:37
What gimbal movement is there when the drone is switched on? I did quite a bit of roll, ditto pitch but limited yaw.

There is a bit of movement on roll and pitch axes when I push the camera with my finger. With the yaw there seems a bit more and the cylindrical part of the camera housing behind the camera seems to catch on the chassis.
Video is with drone switched off. Don't know if this sort of movement is normal.

....For some reason the forum won't allow me to post a link to video.

2022-7-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans077b455c Posted at 7-21 05:04
There is a bit of movement on roll and pitch axes when I push the camera with my finger. With the yaw there seems a bit more and the cylindrical part of the camera housing behind the camera seems to catch on the chassis.
Video is with drone switched off. Don't know if this sort of movement is normal.

I will rephrase my question, during the boot process what movement does the gimbal go through?
I wouldn't try pushing a powered up gimbal about.

Ah maybe you do not have enough posts or some such thing, in that case separate the url into two or more bits and leave of the "https://" bit
2022-7-21
Use props
fans077b455c
lvl.1
Spain

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-21 06:26
I will rephrase my question, during the boot process what movement does the gimbal go through?
I wouldn't try pushing a powered up gimbal about.

No matter how much I break up the URL the forum recognises it and rejects my post. The boot up sequence for the gimbal is:
Pitch up
Roll right
Pitch down
Yaw right
Roll left
Pitch up
Yaw left
Roll right
Yaw right
Pitch up and down a bit to centre gimbal.
2022-7-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's a jolly good description.

Try to send me a personal message containing the URL and I will try to post it,  there should be a button marked "ersonal Message" somewhere below my name, I assume it is there but I can not see it lol.
I have sent you one just incase you can not start a conversation#
2022-7-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The link
2022-7-21
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

gimbal rubbers
2022-7-21
Use props
fans077b455c
lvl.1
Spain

I have found that by fitting a filter to the gimbal and doing an IMU and compass calibration before each flight I can reduce the jello effect to about 20% of the recordings. I also do a gimbal calibration, but this is not working correctly as it will only go as far as 80% before coming stuck - unable to do the final yaw to the right to return to its home position. I have left the calibration running for up to 5 minutes without it progressing beyond 80%. The only way I can resolve this is to gently nudge the gimbal towards the right. The app then gives the expected calibration complete message.
2022-7-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fans077b455c Posted at 7-23 02:46
I have found that by fitting a filter to the gimbal and doing an IMU and compass calibration before each flight I can reduce the jello effect to about 20% of the recordings. I also do a gimbal calibration, but this is not working correctly as it will only go as far as 80% before coming stuck - unable to do the final yaw to the right to return to its home position. I have left the calibration running for up to 5 minutes without it progressing beyond 80%. The only way I can resolve this is to gently nudge the gimbal towards the right. The app then gives the expected calibration complete message.

Hi, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we know if you mounted a filter on the gimbal? If yes, please take it off and recalibrate it to see if it works. Thank you.
2022-7-23
Use props
fans077b455c
lvl.1
Spain

DJI Thor Posted at 7-23 05:55
Hi, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we know if you mounted a filter on the gimbal? If yes, please take it off and recalibrate it to see if it works. Thank you.

Yes, I have mounted a filter as this is the only way to record without getting the "jelllo" effect. However I have removed the filter and run a gimbal calibration. It remained on 80% for a couple of minutes, but it did eventually make it to 100% without any assistance. Having the filter on is the preferred option as I only get "jello" on abut 20% of the footage, rather than all of the shots without the filter. Is running a gimbal calibration essential after adding a filter?
2022-7-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans077b455c Posted at 7-23 11:12
Yes, I have mounted a filter as this is the only way to record without getting the "jelllo" effect. However I have removed the filter and run a gimbal calibration. It remained on 80% for a couple of minutes, but it did eventually make it to 100% without any assistance. Having the filter on is the preferred option as I only get "jello" on abut 20% of the footage, rather than all of the shots without the filter. Is running a gimbal calibration essential after adding a filter?

Thanks for your update. May we know if the filter is the third-party one? Besides, if taking off the filter, there exists the jello effect, you may provide us with a related video for our further checks. Thank you.
2022-7-25
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

fans077b455c Posted at 7-23 02:46
I have found that by fitting a filter to the gimbal and doing an IMU and compass calibration before each flight I can reduce the jello effect to about 20% of the recordings. I also do a gimbal calibration, but this is not working correctly as it will only go as far as 80% before coming stuck - unable to do the final yaw to the right to return to its home position. I have left the calibration running for up to 5 minutes without it progressing beyond 80%. The only way I can resolve this is to gently nudge the gimbal towards the right. The app then gives the expected calibration complete message.

The gimbal calibration task usually takes few seconds to complete. If it does not complete or if it takes much more, it probably means that there is some block or brake inside the mechanism and that the gimbal must be repaired. This can also explain the jello effect you're experiencing: when the gimbal is not completely free to operate as expected, the vibrations from the propellers are propagated to the camera and may impact on the quality of the video.
Before buying the Mini 2, I used to fly with a self made drone. I fought against the jello effects for months, before obtaining somewhat acceptable results ... With the Mini 2 the videos must be jello free out the box also without the ND filters. Then my suggestion is: do not waste time in the forum. Nobody will solve your issue here. You have a brand new Mini 2, then open a support ticket and send it back for a repair under warranty.
2022-7-25
Use props
fans077b455c
lvl.1
Spain

DJI Thor Posted at 7-23 05:55
Hi, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we know if you mounted a filter on the gimbal? If yes, please take it off and recalibrate it to see if it works. Thank you.

Yes, the jello effect is much worse without the third party filter.  This forum won't allow me to post links, however in my initial post I was able to put a link to a video showing the jello effect; there was no filter on the gimbal when this footage was shot.
2022-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans077b455c Posted at 7-25 02:35
Yes, the jello effect is much worse without the third party filter.  This forum won't allow me to post links, however in my initial post I was able to put a link to a video showing the jello effect; there was no filter on the gimbal when this footage was shot.

You could upload the original files to Google Drive/ Dropbox and send the link to us.
2022-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules