Police said I can't fly
564 7 2022-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark F
lvl.1
Flight distance : 606240 ft
United Kingdom

There has been quite a big fire near me last night which severely damaged at least one house. Fortunately no serious injuries. However it does seem to be a case of arson.

Wanting  a look I drove to the site and seeing there were police standing there I said I was a drone hobbyist and asked if it was ok to fly. I offered any photos just in case they would be of any use.

The police point blank refused to allow me fly, and, not wanting to create a scene, I left.

However the location is not in a no fly zone, so as long as I keep the drone high enough so I don't cause a nuisance I can't see a problem.

Do the police have the right to refuse permission? If so would this be due to it being a crime scene?

Thanks for any guidance.

I fly a mini 2

2022-7-29
Use props
Mr. Strat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

It is against the rules to fly in an area of police and fire response/emergency. And since you would not be flying for recreational purposes, you would need a 107 license.
2022-7-29
Use props
Mark F
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mr. Strat Posted at 7-29 19:03
It is against the rules to fly in an area of police and fire response/emergency. And since you would not be flying for recreational purposes, you would need a 107 license.

sorry Mr Strat, I should. have made it clearer. I'm in England so 107 doesn't apply.
2022-7-31
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

Mark F Posted at 7-31 02:28
sorry Mr Strat, I should. have made it clearer. I'm in England so 107 doesn't apply.

yes they have :/ even if they dont, what woould you do
2022-8-2
Use props
FPVin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300502 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They can and can charge you under the general offences rule 8..  All emergency areas included the skies are classed under control of emergency services. You can ask and they might give permission but if you fly within the vicinity they can charge you..

Herse a link that may help..
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2nHsf1aTXOB2RmQ244oWrB

2022-8-5
Use props
Mark F
lvl.1
United Kingdom

That's very useful, thank you for answering the question. The spotify link for some strange reason takes me to the DJI  forum page but no matter,
2022-8-6
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

I would argue also, what happens if an Air Ambulance is needed, and they have to cancel the Air Ambulance cause someone is flying there drone in the area cause they fancy a gander. Is it worth someone's life to get a shot?

A few years ago, there was the Moorland fires near Bolton, and folk were going up and flying there drones for a gander. Thing is they were trying to use helicopters and planes to fight the fires, and although it was legal to fly in the area, the aircraft couldnt put out the fires cause of folk flying there drones around and having to ground the aircraft, cause they wanted footage for their Facebook account.
2022-9-7
Use props
Mark F
lvl.1
United Kingdom

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 9-7 08:45
I would argue also, what happens if an Air Ambulance is needed, and they have to cancel the Air Ambulance cause someone is flying there drone in the area cause they fancy a gander. Is it worth someone's life to get a shot?

A few years ago, there was the Moorland fires near Bolton, and folk were going up and flying there drones for a gander. Thing is they were trying to use helicopters and planes to fight the fires, and although it was legal to fly in the area, the aircraft couldnt put out the fires cause of folk flying there drones around and having to ground the aircraft, cause they wanted footage for their Facebook account.
Good point stunt jumper.
I agree that in those circumstances it would not only be illegal it would be dangerous and reckless.

In my defence the flight I waited until the day after the fire and the firefighters had left the scene hours earlier.

I did respect the police with their refusal to allow me to fly, though I did see a drone photo taken by someone else on social media the next day. Ah well, you win some, you lose some.
2022-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules