Upgrade from MA2 to Mini 3 Pro?
494 17 2022-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcaton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39606 ft
United States

I currently own a Mavic Air 2, which I use with an iPad Mini 5. No complaints.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Mini 3 Pro.  The smaller weight is nice I suppose, but probably not enough reason to upgrade.

What I really like is the controller with the built-in screen.  Would be one less device I need to charge and keep updated (the iPad), less things to carry around (iPad, tablet holder for controller and cable) and it would be quicker to get up and running.  The extended flight time battery is also an attractive option.

I could probalby sell the iPad Mini 5 and the MA2 and come out even.

Financial considerations aside, does anyone here own or previously owned a MA2 and if so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2022-7-29
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own a MA2 and have purchased the M3P with the DJI RC controller.  My MA2 setup is the same as yours (iPad Mini 5) w/tablet holder.  I will say, I enjoy the larger screen of the iPad and thought I would really miss having it, but I have gotten use to the smaller screen on the DJI RC and don't see it as a compromise now that I have used it some.  In fact, I am enjoying using the M3P with DJI RC so much, that I will probably try and sell my MA2 and Mini 5 setup.  

One of the benefits for me of the M3P is how quiet it is.  It is noticeably quieter when compared to the MA2.  Plus, having the integrated screen in the controller (DJI RC) is convenient. It is really nice to just grab the M3P and DJI RC and go flying.  It's a GREAT combo, in my book.  And, if you are not concerned about <250g flying, I would suggest getting the FMK+ with the extended-runtime batteries. I actually think the little bit of extra weight makes the M3P fly more stable in light winds and you'll love how long it seems you can fly!
2022-7-29
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

It is not really an upgrade except for the camera and the lower weight.
Both birds have its own advantages and it depends on your preferences.
The MA2 can do waypoints with Litchi and Mini 3 P cannot yet.
Also the MA2 is more stable in windy conditions than the Mini 3 P.
2022-7-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

K9JDN Posted at 7-29 06:28
I will say, I enjoy the larger screen of the iPad and thought I would really miss having it, but I have gotten use to the smaller screen on the DJI RC and don't see it as a compromise now that I have used it some.  

Thanks. Yeah, I realize the M3P would be smaller and wasn't sure if that would end up being a disappointment.

Do you find the M3P screen to be easier to view in daylight than the iPad Mini 5?
2022-7-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

MySky Posted at 7-29 06:33
It is not really an upgrade except for the camera and the lower weight.
Both birds have its own advantages and it depends on your preferences.
The MA2 can do waypoints with Litchi and Mini 3 P cannot yet.

Thanks.  I've yet to find a need for waypoints.  And I don't tend to use my drone in windy conditions, although I probably err on the side of caution a bit much.

But you do raise a question... If I had the need, I could always run Litchi with my MA2.  But on the MA3 controller, how would you do that?  I imagine it is a single-purpose device and not a repackaged Android device where I could install arbitrary applications.

Can you still use an external device like a phone or tablet with the controller with the built-in screen?
2022-7-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

One other thing about the MA3 is that it sits very low to the ground, compared to the MA2.  Most of my flying is near the beach, and I had a bad experience with an emergency landing with my original MA and got sand in the camera gimbal. Got it out eventually.  If I'm flying over the beach, I always use a landing pad but still, I don't think I'd ever fly the MA3 without some aftermarket leg extension.  Seems like it would be asking for trouble, although I imagine eliminating legs was needed to keep the weight down.
2022-7-29
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Do you find the M3P screen to be easier to view in daylight than the iPad Mini 5?

That's a tough question to answer.  It's subjective.  I'm not sure of the NITS rating on the iPad Mini 5, but the DJI RC is rated at 700 NITS. Since the iPad Mini 5 has more surface area, I notice "glare" more with it, than I do the DJI RC.  In cloudy daylight I have no problems seeing the DJI RC screen. In really bright sunshine, I try to shade it somehow.  I will say, the DJI RC is MUCH better than using my iPhone (which dims when it gets hot).  Compared to the iPad Mini 5, I'd say it is about the same in terms of viewing ability.  Of course, the real benefit is, it's integrated into the controller.  I think you'd like the DJI RC, if you had a chance to see/use it.
2022-7-29
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

dcaton Posted at 7-29 07:05
Thanks.  I've yet to find a need for waypoints.  And I don't tend to use my drone in windy conditions, although I probably err on the side of caution a bit much.

But you do raise a question... If I had the need, I could always run Litchi with my MA2.  But on the MA3 controller, how would you do that?  I imagine it is a single-purpose device and not a repackaged Android device where I could install arbitrary applications.

"Can you still use an external device like a phone or tablet with the controller with the built-in screen?"

The answer is No... not yet
2022-7-29
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dcaton wrote: I imagine it is a single-purpose device and not a repackaged Android device where I could install arbitrary applications.

That's currently true, it is a single-purpose device, as far as I know. I haven't heard of or seen anyone who has hacked into the DJI RC yet to install apps.
2022-7-29
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

dcaton Posted at 7-29 07:05
Thanks.  I've yet to find a need for waypoints.  And I don't tend to use my drone in windy conditions, although I probably err on the side of caution a bit much.

But you do raise a question... If I had the need, I could always run Litchi with my MA2.  But on the MA3 controller, how would you do that?  I imagine it is a single-purpose device and not a repackaged Android device where I could install arbitrary applications.

No not yet and will propably never be possible due to the low performace and  low memory of the DJI RC.
I was also very disapointed that it is not possible to run 3rd party apps on the DJI RC like on the DJI RC Pro.
But you can use the RC-N1 from your MA2 together with your tablet If needed.
2022-7-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both.  The MA2 seems much more stable while flying.  The new RC controller is interesting.  However, in my opinion, it is cheaply made in comparison to the RC Pro.  Current drawbacks to RC for me are no HDMI out, no 3rd party Apps and only 700 Nits.  RC Pro has 1000 Nits which is great for viewing in Florida's intense sunshine.  I could add Apps like UAV Forecast to the RC Pro and it has HDMI out.  

The Mini 3 does offer a true vertical mode which isn't available on the MA2.

I'm hoping that DJI will make the RC Pro compatible with the Mini 3 so I only have to carry one controller and that would be the RC Pro.  
2022-7-29
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

dcaton Posted at 7-29 07:12
One other thing about the MA3 is that it sits very low to the ground, compared to the MA2.  Most of my flying is near the beach, and I had a bad experience with an emergency landing with my original MA and got sand in the camera gimbal. Got it out eventually.  If I'm flying over the beach, I always use a landing pad but still, I don't think I'd ever fly the MA3 without some aftermarket leg extension.  Seems like it would be asking for trouble, although I imagine eliminating legs was needed to keep the weight down.

If you are flying near the beach most of the time, why don't you just hand launch it? (outside of your emergency landing situation)
Do the leg extensions help when it comes to sand?

I only hand launch/catch (beach or no beach). Just been used to doing it that way.
2022-7-29
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unless you need the money I would keep both. I have both and use them for different flying conditions
2022-7-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Beta5K Posted at 7-29 12:35
If you are flying near the beach most of the time, why don't you just hand launch it? (outside of your emergency landing situation)
Do the leg extensions help when it comes to sand?

To be honest, I've never tried to land haunch it.  

If you land in an area of really soft sand, the extensions may not help at all. On hard sand, they probably wouldn't even be necessary.  After getting sand in the gimbal of my MA, I'm a little paranoid and these things sit really low to the ground as it is. Normally I won't land in sand or dirt of any kind, they're just a precaution.
2022-7-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-29 13:12
Unless you need the money I would keep both. I have both and use them for different flying conditions

In the grand scheme of things, the cost of the Mini 3 Pro isn't going to change my life in any significant way.  But, I don't have money to toss around haphazardly either.  

Thing is, I don't use the drone nearly as much as I thought I would when I bought my MA.  Nevertheless, I upgraded to a MA2 because I like tech stuff and was hoping I'd find more time, and my wife didn't object (she actually encourages me to buy stuff).

I'm hoping to change that. For one thing, we're going on a trip to Maine later this summer and I just happened to see an ad for the Mini 3, and got the upgrade itch again.

What do you see as ideal conditions for the MA2 vs Mini 3?  Not sure I want to be dragging both of them around with me.

2022-7-29
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dcaton wrote: What do you see as ideal conditions for the MA2 vs Mini 3?

My considerations for choosing which model to fly:

Quicker preparation for launch time:  Mini 3 Pro (w/DJI RC)
Better wind resistance (winds > 20 MPH) for stable pictures/video: Mavic Air 2
Quieter public noise consideration: Mini 3 Pro
Longer flight times: Mini 3 Pro (w/extended battery)
Situational awareness while flying (ADS-B): Mavic Air 2

You should know I consider myself a conservative flyer.  When wind speeds exceed 25 MPH between 50 – 400 ft., I tend to NOT fly my drones.  When winds are gusty, I generally stay below the tree line.  There have been situations where I have flown higher, but I certainly don’t make it a habit.
2022-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dcaton. Good day and thank you for choosing the new DJI Mini 3 Pro as your next drone. For additional reference about the DJI Mini 3 Pro I will post a DJI Link where in you can find the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.

https://www.dji.com/mini-3-pro?site=brandsite&from=nav
2022-7-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

K9JDN Posted at 7-29 17:05
dcaton wrote: What do you see as ideal conditions for the MA2 vs Mini 3?

My considerations for choosing which model to fly:

Thank you.  I generally don't fly in windy conditions.  The vast majority of my flying has been locally, so it's not like I can't visit the same place again at a different time.

Quicker prep and longer flight times certainly weigh in the Mini's favor (as well as less to carry around and keep charged, ie the iPad).  There have been times when I didn't want to fly because of the noise it generated, so quieter is definitely better.

Wasn't aware that the Mini didn't have ADS-B, although I'd be hard pressed to recall a time when it warned me about anything on the MA2.

Appreciate your thoughts, now I'm even more on the fence .  I generally don't like buying things just to try them out, but I suppose I could get the Mini 3 and take them both on the upcoming trip with me and see which one works out better. Then either send the Mini 3 back or sell the MA2.  Or bite the bullet and keep both...
2022-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules