PGYTECH dji mini propeller cage
1113 6 2022-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rensio
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi there, so I have come across the PGYTECH dji mini propeller cage in a couple of videos on YouTube and got really excited. I then found out it didn’t seem to be available for sale anywhere..! So I sent an email to PGY and they confirmed that "We are sorry that mini 2 propeller cage is off the shelves and we don't sell it now. So it is out of stock and we don't have a plan to restock."
I felt more than surprised as it just seemed to me as possibly the best Mavic mini/ mini 2 cage on the market so far and I felt this product could probably solve the issue of not being able to fly in bad weather here in the UK as one could safely fly indoors with minimal risk.

I've just asked them if they could tell me why, I mean I wonder if maybe there where issues with the design or complaints... Has anyone here tried one? I was wondering if although it is a great 360 degrees protective case, would accidentally flying against things because of flying indoors still cause some form of possible additional strain/damage to the little motors ..?

Basically I thought let's ask in the dji forum to see if anyone would be able to advise on any of these queries and if it is deemed fine for the additional strain perhaps on the motors, would there be any similar cage recommendations for the mini 2?

Thanks in advance!
2022-8-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You do not need a cage to fly the Minis indoors, just good lighting and an appreciation of the delicacy of control that is needed, also the likely of 'suck in' or 'suck up' if you get the drone too close to walls and ceilings respectively.
Certainly with the Mavic Mini a cage is likely to trigger "pay load" mode but realistically the limitations that that imposes on flying are probably of little consequence indoors unless you are flying in HUGE rooms.

I fly indoor a lot with no cage, crashes are rare if you fly sensibly.
2022-8-1
Use props
Rensio
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-1 03:45
You do not need a cage to fly the Minis indoors, just good lighting and an appreciation of the delicacy of control that is needed, also the likely of 'suck in' or 'suck up' if you get the drone too close to walls and ceilings respectively.
Certainly with the Mavic Mini a cage is likely to trigger "pay load" mode but realistically the limitations that that imposes on flying are probably of little consequence indoors unless you are flying in HUGE rooms.

Hey thanks Sean, yeah I have flown the mini 2 indoors a couple of times successfully -however there is a fairly good chance it could indeed get sucked up / into walls especially in tight areas and then there’s the added difficulty of managing attitude mode causing the drone to drift. I just wanted to find a solution to keep the propellers safe from walls and ceilings etc, and to make my family members feel safer when flying around the house with a little quadcopter  :-)
2022-8-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Indoors and without stick input does your drone constantly drift by more than say 6" /15cm from a given hover point? Mine do not.
If your's does then I would suspect you have insufficent light for the VPS system to work or are flying over an inappropriate surface. I have left mine hovering completely unattended indoors for several minutes, not near the ceiling or a wall, when I went to make a cuppa and it was exactly where I left it when I came back.
If you want prop guards to protect against wall collisions just get a DJI set. The last set that I can find that sold on ebay went for £14 inc P&P and there's currently a set going for £25 + £3.56 P&P but that is at least their 3rd trip through, I'd offer the guy say £15 +P&P. They appear to be £19 + P&P on Amazon, add a 64G mSD card to the order and you'd be over the £20 for free delivery.
They wont keep little fingers safe but should work for everything else.

I think the prop guards are interchangeable between the Mavic Mini, Mini 2 & Mini SE.

2022-8-1
Use props
Stu.Baby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

I bought a set of PGYTech guards for my mini 2 about 18 months ago. I remember struggling to find a seller until I found one on AliExpress. I think they went out of stock soon after.

I don't know why anyone would want to dissuade you from buying a set. They're an eminently sensible way of flying around indoors. I got to know my mini 2 a lot more during lockdown with a set of these.
2022-8-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure if this helps much but it looks like still available here from a knockoff source:
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Mini- ... Guard/dp/B08MRQ265M
2022-8-1
Use props
Rensio
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Stu.Baby Posted at 8-1 16:52
I bought a set of PGYTech guards for my mini 2 about 18 months ago. I remember struggling to find a seller until I found one on AliExpress. I think they went out of stock soon after.

I don't know why anyone would want to dissuade you from buying a set. They're an eminently sensible way of flying around indoors. I got to know my mini 2 a lot more during lockdown with a set of these.

I wholeheartedly agree with your reply, thank you :-)

The Only PGY one I could find was from a dji dealer in Iceland….so although that is still a good option, I’ve basically just bought some of the separate 4 click-on fully enclosed ones from Amazon. Not quite as good, but should provide enough protection hopefully

Thanks for all the replies and I will let you know how they are if anyone is interested
2022-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules