What is Occusync?
5939 38 2022-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

The poll pretty much speaks for itself...
Hindsight i should have put, DJI's own unique transmission system (not WiFi)
Single SelectVote, Total 51 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-8-2
Use props
davidy61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 57037 ft
Australia

Maybe an "I have no idea" choice would be helpful as that's where my vote would be.
2022-8-2
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

davidy61 Posted at 8-2 23:08
Maybe an "I have no idea" choice would be helpful as that's where my vote would be.

Sorted for you. lol
2022-8-2
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

From what i can gather, Its just a version of wifi, with a rolling channel/frequency hop, nothing special really
2022-8-2
Use props
NutHouseDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1206654 ft
Canada

DreamWorks Posted at 8-2 23:13
From what i can gather, Its just a version of wifi, with a rolling channel/frequency hop, nothing special really

Where did you gather that?  Or why do you assume that?   
2022-8-2
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

NutHouseDrone Posted at 8-2 23:21
Where did you gather that?  Or why do you assume that?

Because thats what it is, the only difference between the Mini and 2 & 3 Pro is that the 2 & 3 Pro use on the fly channel and frequency hopping.
Its using the same as your homes router, 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz, to me, that is WiFi

If you do not think it is WiFi, what is it? I am open to learning something for sure
2022-8-2
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

At the end of the day isn’t it just radio signals… DJI just works with tried and tested 2.4 gigahertz (120 mm) UHF and 5 gigahertz (60 mm) SHF radio bands.
2022-8-2
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

Mini-G Posted at 8-2 23:30
At the end of the day isn’t it just radio signals… DJI just works with tried and tested 2.4 gigahertz (120 mm) UHF and 5 gigahertz (60 mm) SHF radio bands.

Yep, exactly.
2022-8-2
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

Here is someone else's take on it, I'ved started it where it's relevant and cuts out a lot of the jibba jabba..

2022-8-2
Use props
NutHouseDrone
lvl.3
Canada

DreamWorks Posted at 8-2 23:28
Because thats what it is, the only difference between the Mini and 2 & 3 Pro is that the 2 & 3 Pro use on the fly channel and frequency hopping.

Just because they use the same unlicensed frequency bands doesn't mean it is WiFi or even similar to WiFi.  The only thing that is certain is that they share the same RF frequency bands, along with many other wireless devices that are most certainly not WiFi.  WiFi means something very specific.  Look up the definition... the WiFi wiki page has a pretty detailed description.

Obviously it works far better than just WiFi.  Now, maybe you are right and they "just" modified WiFi.  But that is why I was asking you where you gathered that information or why you thought that (just because it has same frequencies?).  

And even if they did "just" modify WiFi, what does it really matter because it isn't WiFi anymore   They have at least tailored it to be something unique for this particular application.

2022-8-2
Use props
davidy61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 57037 ft
Australia

DreamWorks Posted at 8-2 23:12
Sorted for you. lol

Thanks. Voted now
But I may watch the YouTube video and learn something.
2022-8-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I chose WiFi, even if dji modified how we perceive WiFi, it is fundamentally WiFi at the end of the day
2022-8-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DreamWorks Posted at 8-2 23:28

If you do not think it is WiFi, what is it?
A wifi drone has a limited range, topping out at 1000 metres in perfect conditions and less than half of that most of the time.
Its picture gets sketchy and starts to break down as you get further out.

A drone using Occusync goes for 10 kilometres and keeps a clear image on the screen all the way out.
But you think Occusync = Wifi ?
2022-8-3
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

Labroides Posted at 8-3 02:38
If you do not think it is WiFi, what is it?
A wifi drone has a limited range, topping out at 1000 metres in perfect conditions and less than half of that most of the time.
Its picture gets sketchy and starts to break down as you get further out.

Yep, sure do unless someone can sure me that Occusync is something other than it.
2022-8-3
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Even if Occusync uses the same frequencies like Wifi to be in line with the official free frequency ranges, it is completely different in case of HF transmission and protocol.
Here is some more In-depth on occusync.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... id=72819&pid=575341

And here:

2022-8-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DreamWorks Posted at 8-3 03:31
Yep, sure do unless someone can sure me that Occusync is something other than it.

I suggest you read my post again.
I can't see how to make it any clearer.

But if you want more detail try these:
https://expertworldtravel.com/what-is-dji-ocusync/
http://djibestdrones.com/dji-ocusync-2-0/

2022-8-3
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

It is their proprietary algorithm using the wifi signal as a carrier. Who cares how it works? It works!
2022-8-3
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

So what i can gather then, thank you for the links by the way, is that Occusync is software working off of wifi hardware, or have i misread?

OcuSync on the other hand is more of a software based system and more of an SDR. It’s able to work on generic off-the-shelf hardware so eisting Wi-Fi hardware, for instance, is able to use the OcuSync system. It allows DJI to keep the hardware costs down because they’re not having to make custom hardware or expensive FPGAs. This allows them to use a far more compact packaging because many of the SOC’s and the processes we use in all devices these days, like in smartphones and in these drones, already have radio hardware onboard that is designed for Wi-Fi. So DJI are able to leverage existing hardware to be able to get the same type of system that they originally designed with Lightbridge.

That came from your 2nd link Labroides
2022-8-3
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-3 05:26
It is their proprietary algorithm using the wifi signal as a carrier. Who cares how it works? It works!

Its come down to because i keep calling it wifi, to me that's what it boils down to, and some have been saying its not, it looks like from what i have just read and as you've just said, that it is actually software working with wifi
2022-8-3
Use props
NutHouseDrone
lvl.3
Canada

DreamWorks Posted at 8-3 05:34
Its come down to because i keep calling it wifi, to me that's what it boils down to, and some have been saying its not, it looks like from what i have just read and as you've just said, that it is actually software working with wifi

So quit calling it wifi

Based on the aritcle and video, I think it would more accurate to say that it is software (in fact, an SDR) that uses the same hardware that is typically used for wifi.  Different than saying it is using wifi or working with wifi.

2022-8-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is this a technical question or more of a philosophical question?  What is Occusync really?  Does one ever truly know Occusync?
2022-8-3
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

TonyPHX Posted at 8-3 10:16
Is this a technical question or more of a philosophical question?  What is Occusync really?  Does one ever truly know Occusync?

Occusync is a SDR (Software Defined Radio) system designed by DJI using propriatary Wifi hardware to build a cheaper and more flexible system which can be more easily updated or upgraded instead of designing each time new and more expensiv hardware.
Best example is the RC-N1, which can be used with different Drones and Occusync versions, just by simply  updating the FW.
Also the protocol and frequency modulation is different from Wifi systems. (See links and video above)
2022-8-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

MySky Posted at 8-3 11:27
Occusync is a SDR (Software Defined Radio) system designed by DJI using propriatary Wifi hardware to build a cheaper and more flexible system which can be more easily updated or upgraded instead of designing each time new and more expensiv hardware.
Best example is the RC-N1, which can be used with different Drones and Occusync versions, just by simply  updating the FW.
Also the protocol and frequency modulation is different from Wifi systems. (See links and video above)

So it's kind of like wifi.  Cool!
2022-8-3
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

NutHouseDrone Posted at 8-3 08:19
So quit calling it wifi

Based on the aritcle and video, I think it would more accurate to say that it is software (in fact, an SDR) that uses the same hardware that is typically used for wifi.  Different than saying it is using wifi or working with wifi.

Never gonna happen, it is WiFi only tweaked with software.
2022-8-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DreamWorks Posted at 8-3 19:39
Never gonna happen, it is WiFi only tweaked with software.

Tweaked?
By now it's clear that you aren't interested in learning anything and just want to troll.

2022-8-3
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

Labroides Posted at 8-3 20:40
Tweaked?
By now it's clear that you aren't interested in learning anything and just want to troll.

Great talk...
2022-8-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DreamWorks. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mini 3 Pro supports the DJI O3 ( Ocusync 3.0 ) Video Transmission System that uses an all-new solution and upgrades dual antennas to four antennas to bring FHD video transmission at distances of up to 12 km ( FCC compliant and with no obstructions). Additional anti-interference capabilities further improve transmission stability in cities and other complex environments. ). Thank you.
2022-8-3
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

Technically, Occusync is not WiFi.   You are confusing WiFi with RF bands.   The RF bands of 2.4 and 5 GHz do not equate to WiFi - they are just radio frequency ranges that the WiFi standard uses.   WiFi is based on the IEEE 802.11 standard and can use up to the 60GHz bands.   Occusync uses the same frequencies but has a different protocol that can extend the transmission range.  In theory, Occusync could have been based other RF bands but because the hardware for 2.4 and 5 Ghz are readily available and cheaper, DJI took advantage of that situation.
2022-8-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Occams Razor Posted at 8-4 18:50
Technically, Occusync is not WiFi.   You are confusing WiFi with RF bands.   The RF bands of 2.4 and 5 GHz do not equate to WiFi - they are just radio frequency ranges that the WiFi standard uses.   WiFi is based on the IEEE 802.11 standard and can use up to the 60GHz bands.   Occusync uses the same frequencies but has a different protocol that can extend the transmission range.  In theory, Occusync could have been based other RF bands but because the hardware for 2.4 and 5 Ghz are readily available and cheaper, DJI took advantage of that situation.

Now that right there is how you explain something in laymans terms and i understand it, thank you.
What is interesting is how many of us actually thought of it as WiFi.

2022-8-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Occams Razor Posted at 8-4 18:50

You got it pretty close. DJI do not use WiFi, they are simply using the unregulated bands available to them in most countries of the world, and WiFi is probably the only well known and most 'famous' user of those bands. But they are also used by Radio Control models, garage door openers, wireless baby monitors and a thousand other applixations, all of which are not considered essential communications. They have been allocated two bands and left to fight it out as to who interferes with each other, as one of the caveats in the license use agreement is that no one user will be given priority over another, they have to learn to get on with one another. So, it is incorrect to call the transmission system 'WiFi'.

In order make their system a bit more tolerant to interference from the other band users, DJI developed Occusync, which is not strictly speaking a name for the whole process, because the radio communication between a DJI drone and its controller consists of four channels of data, only one of which contrains the Occusync stream, from the aircraft to the remote control unit. In the Occusysnc system, only the video system components are contained in the stream and it is encoded as a digital data stream containing a system of forward error correction bits, to make the signal interference tolerant.

Forward error correction (or FEC) is a technique where additional data bits are added to the stream so that if some bits are lost due to interference, the remaining bits can be mathematically used to help reconstruct the correct signal.
2022-8-5
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Germany

Geebax Posted at 8-5 15:48
You got it pretty close. DJI do not use WiFi, they are simply using the unregulated bands available to them in most countries of the world, and WiFi is probably the only well known and most 'famous' user of those bands. But they are also used by Radio Control models, garage door openers, wireless baby monitors and a thousand other applixations, all of which are not considered essential communications. They have been allocated two bands and left to fight it out as to who interferes with each other, as one of the caveats in the license use agreement is that no one user will be given priority over another, they have to learn to get on with one another. So, it is incorrect to call the transmission system 'WiFi'.

In order make their system a bit more tolerant to interference from the other band users, DJI developed Occusync, which is not strictly speaking a name for the whole process, because the radio communication between a DJI drone and its controller consists of four channels of data, only one of which contrains the Occusync stream, from the aircraft to the remote control unit. In the Occusysnc system, only the video system components are contained in the stream and it is encoded as a digital data stream containing a system of forward error correction bits, to make the signal interference tolerant.

Hey, thanks for the explanation between yourself and Occams, I now understand what is actually going on, you guys explain it far better than any link with hard to understand tear down of the system., thank you, i will now stop calling it WiFi now that i understand it.
2022-8-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is not WIFi. That is a term associated with the internet and routers it is the same think but not the correct name

Occusync is simply a radio transmission and receiving system transmitting on the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz frequencies and it hopps between the two based on certain factors
2022-8-5
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

DreamWorks Posted at 8-5 20:15
Hey, thanks for the explanation between yourself and Occams, I now understand what is actually going on, you guys explain it far better than any link with hard to understand tear down of the system., thank you, i will now stop calling it WiFi now that i understand it.

you can call it wifi, now try to find out what is electromagnetic wave and you ar at home
2022-8-6
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 8-5 21:49
It is not WIFi. That is a term associated with the internet and routers it is the same think but not the correct name

Occusync is simply a radio transmission and receiving system transmitting on the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz frequencies and it hopps between the two based on certain factors

Yes, it's been explained
2022-8-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What is Lightbridge? Is it a lesser form of OC still using the 2.4 and 5.8
I ask because when I powered up my P4P inside (next to the laptop) when testing FCC mode, it knocked out the wifi to my laptop, I had to reboot the router to get it back.
2022-8-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 8-6 18:31
Yes, it's been explained

Yes I know I explained it
2022-8-6
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 8-6 22:51
Yes I know I explained it

Not really. Occams and Geebax did. You just reiterated
2022-8-7
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Their OS system is basically just wifi 2.4 and 5.0 like your home wifi. The only difference from what I can tell is, it's dji automatic system, which it will automatically detect the best channel and hope between 2.4 and 5.0 to give you the best signal.
2023-6-24
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

MySky Posted at 2022-8-3 11:27

Well if that's the case, then I wonder why DJI has not released the firmware to update the RC Pro from O3 to O4...
2023-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules