1773 25 2022-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregh2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

Hi,

I have the Mini 3 Pro with the Fly More Plus kit and the 2 way charge hub and I have noticed that the batteries aren't discharging very fast.  I have been trying to keep an eye on them and had flown with all 3 batteries and charged all 3 back up to 100% because that is what it did.  Then I left them in the hub and put them aside for a week now.  They are all at 94% today after sitting doing nothing.  I checked immediately when I first got them each one for firmware updates and each one did a firmware update.  I did that before I flew with them and cycled each battery into the drone and did the update.

Now I am purposely draining them with the hub charging things but I thought they should be discharging themselves?  For those of you asking why would I charge them to 100% well that was because I was expecting to fly the next day but then the weather changed and I couldn't get out.  Then work, then more weather, and so on until now it is still raining so I am just draining batteries.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Thank you!
2022-8-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

When you check them, you reset the internal "meter" to zero. That makes it take much longer to discharge. Just leave them alone, the Intelligent Battery system is pretty reliable.
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

Page 30 in manual ...https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Manual_v1.2_en.pdf
2022-8-6
Use props
fpb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192379 ft
United States

I think by design if the batteries are in the HUB the will not discharge, they needs to be out of the charger to engage the auto-discharge.
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Like @Mobilehomer said don't fiddle with batteries it just prolongs the discharging cycle.
2022-8-6
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Discharge time is 9 days, please read the manual. In the old days checking the lights use to reset the time to discharge, pretty certain that no longer applies.
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 8-6 11:42
Discharge time is 9 days, please read the manual. In the old days checking the lights use to reset the time to discharge, pretty certain that no longer applies.

I'm pretty Old School. Your probably right about (checking the lights use to reset the time to discharge) doesn't apply any more... It was nice to have the option to change the discharge cycle to as few or as many days as you wanted in the past ...
2022-8-6
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
United States

Right I read the manual and 9 days they should be at 60%. Mine have sat for 7 days and are at 95%. So they don’t slowly drain each day they wait until 9 days then shed tons of power?
2022-8-6
Use props
fansae88bdc2
lvl.2
United States

I haven’t pushed the button on the hub or anything they have been sitting in the bag chilling and after 7 days 95%. Then let them sit for 3 days still at 95%. After 7 days I put them in in the drone to see what it was doing that is the % that it is showing.

I would expect that they would just slowly shed power everyday…
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansae88bdc2 Posted at 8-6 12:17
I haven’t pushed the button on the hub or anything they have been sitting in the bag chilling and after 7 days 95%. Then let them sit for 3 days still at 95%. After 7 days I put them in in the drone to see what it was doing that is the % that it is showing.

I don't like waiting the 9 days myself for discharging. I would probably discharge to 60% if I knew I wasn't going to fly for awhile. But like I said I am pretty old school...
2022-8-6
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

same with mini2
2022-8-6
Use props
fansae88bdc2
lvl.2
United States

Not sure why it isn’t replying with my username but it is normal to not discharge at all until 9 days in? That is weird.

I thought you aren’t supposed to leave them charged and they should slowly discharge themselves each day. I guess I will take the old school approach and manually drain them to about 75%ish and then let them do their thing.
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansae88bdc2 Posted at 8-6 12:17
I haven’t pushed the button on the hub or anything they have been sitting in the bag chilling and after 7 days 95%. Then let them sit for 3 days still at 95%. After 7 days I put them in in the drone to see what it was doing that is the % that it is showing.

I think when you inserted the battery back in Drone you re-started the 9 day countdown. They would have went from 95% to 60% on days 8 &9
2022-8-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there gregh2000. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. Kindly please refer to the list below on battery features for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. Thank you.

2022-8-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I went to charge mine for the 1st time in a wee while the day before yesterday, the 2 in the hub had started, there were down 1 light, the one in the drone was still full, i think had used it a day or so before though but i cant quite remember, 90% sure i did to check something. ah, yes I did, I checked to see if I could get FCC, I couldn't lol so yes, they do discharge as they are supposed to.
2022-8-6
Use props
fansae88bdc2
lvl.2
United States

Interesting so I guess I will just let them do their thang and let them hang out in the charge hub and chill.  I just expected to see them dropping in charge level after 7 days of sitting at 100% more than getting to 95%.  I am new to the DJI stuff but I will for now run them down on my own and not leave them at 100% just in case.  I don't want to damage the batteries they are super important to proper flight so I am going to just run them down or not charge them to 100% unless I am ready to fly.  I will just keep them above the minimum charge so they don't break themselves.  

I am new to this stuff so I don't know the proper way to handle the batteries but I know from reading to not leave them at 100.
2022-8-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansae88bdc2 Posted at 8-6 20:19
Interesting so I guess I will just let them do their thang and let them hang out in the charge hub and chill.  I just expected to see them dropping in charge level after 7 days of sitting at 100% more than getting to 95%.  I am new to the DJI stuff but I will for now run them down on my own and not leave them at 100% just in case.  I don't want to damage the batteries they are super important to proper flight so I am going to just run them down or not charge them to 100% unless I am ready to fly.  I will just keep them above the minimum charge so they don't break themselves.  

I am new to this stuff so I don't know the proper way to handle the batteries but I know from reading to not leave them at 100.

they drop to 95/96% after 24hrs ish, then after 9 days they drop to 70% ish is say ish because i am basing that on the mini 2, i am yet to go through the manual with the Mini 3, yeah, i know, that's poor form lol someone above says 60% so it could well be 60%, it looks like they've read the manual, either way, you get the idea
2022-8-6
Use props
fansae88bdc2
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-6 20:34
they drop to 95/96% after 24hrs ish, then after 9 days they drop to 70% ish is say ish because i am basing that on the mini 2, i am yet to go through the manual with the Mini 3, yeah, i know, that's poor form lol someone above says 60% so it could well be 60%, it looks like they've read the manual, either way, you get the idea

Thank you yeah I was expecting a more ramped down to the the 60% not a wait until 9 days then shed all the power that day.  I guess I don't design these things but if I did I would have designed it to shed power slowly over the days to end up at 60% after 9 days not wait until 9 days and then suddenly burn up a ton of power.  

I guess that is why I am not a millionaire... LOL
2022-8-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The rules have changed. The safe discharge rate for the batteries has been adjusted to more like a month since recent data says there is no reason to doing it sooner. And many stupid users like me have pushed it to far anyway ;-) I destroyed 3 M2 batteries while leaving them on charge for 4 months while being distracted by pesky family health emergencies.
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-6 21:36
The rules have changed. The safe discharge rate for the batteries has been adjusted to more like a month since recent data says there is no reason to doing it sooner. And many stupid users like me have pushed it to far anyway ;-) I destroyed 3 M2 batteries while leaving them on charge for 4 months while being distracted by pesky family health emergencies.

Lost all 3 of my Phantom 4 batteries from lack of use for 2 years by a pesky family health emergency. As a matter of fact I lost 2 years of my life too. But things looking up now. Back to flying...
2022-8-6
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-7 12:51
Noticed this morning that my M3P batteries are having mixed results discharging while stored in the hub.  All batteries had been fully charged 8 days earlier & the charger was untouched until this morning.  When I went to top off, the stock battery was partially depleted & charged.  Both of the high-capacity batteries were still at 100% & neither took any charge.  Going to leave them out of the hub during the week & check them next weekend.  Too hot to fly here at the moment anyways.

Did you remove plus batteries and insert in drone to get the actual amount of charge in batteries or did you just see 4 bars and assume they are at 100%. They could have been at 95% and would have discharged to 60% if you waited a couple more days ?
2022-8-7
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

If you want your batteries drained in a shorter time frame and can't be bothered flying the drone until the batts get to 60%, you can do what I do with my Air 2 batts. The little battery to USB adapter allows me to use the battery as a power source to charge phone, ipad etc. Perhaps if you have the fly more kit you can use the charge brick to charge your devices which will bring charge level on battery down without you being forced to fly to reduce battery level.
2022-8-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-7 17:38
I did not install the batteries into the drone.  I plugged the hub into the charger.  Were the batteries

HI DB, did you check each battery's FW in the about section, with each battery installed, hit the button to check for FW update? you have to hit the button as it's not auto-checking.
2022-8-7
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-7 17:38
I did not install the batteries into the drone.  I plugged the hub into the charger.  Were the batteries

Good chance for battery damage if left un-checked. Like @Bashy said,  check to see if battery firmware was updated.
2022-8-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-8 02:04
Checked it just now.  Sure enough the stock battery was current, but both Plus batteries needed updating.  I know just how this happened too.  I setup the bird with the stock battery in the field.  After updates were installed, I did a brief flight just to test the flight controls & functions.  I never exited out to Fly's main screen when switching batteries, so I never saw the firmware update notice for the other batteries.  This is why I don't have Fly set to automatically jump into the Go Fly screen.  It does check, but only on the Main screen.  I self-defeated it by staying in there between flights.  Duh...

Thanks for the heads up.  All up to date now & hopefully the Plus batteries will behave as they should.

Excellent and ya welcome, easy to forget, but glad you got it sorted, hopefully, they will do what they are supposed to do.
2022-8-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think we need a "swell" sensor on the batteries. It would monitor the dimension from top to bottom, and shut off the charger if it exceeded the specs. Sorry, the retired electronics test engineer in me ;-)

DJI, you can use that design idea. I release all rights to that ;-) Seriously.
2022-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules